ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

You should take it as fact

Is this fact as strong as when you said
how good those big Hawaii boys were on defense?

Or that I should 'book it' and Hawaii will beat UNLV by two scores?

He very well might leave.

Might take a shot at the NFL if he is hearing good things...

But speaking in absolutes is slippery if you don't know for sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoRebel
In regards to Jacoby possibly leaving...

He may take a look at the NFL.

My comparison for him would be J. Brimmer..

Brimmer's junior year tape was amazing. Came back his senior year and got exposed a bit, because he was forced to play more in coverage. Then had a bad camp/combine. Didn't run a good 40.

Had he come out his JR year, his tape was good enough that I think teams might have overlooked poor measurables.

With Jacoby it's a little different. He is an exceptional athlete. I think he would do well at a combine/pro day.

His tape is excellent.

He played DE and moved to MLB and his production at both spots was very good. In fact he has been better at MLB than his original spot of DE/OLB..

That shows versatility.

Honestly he should entertain it.

Transferring doesn't make a lot of sense unless its personal reasons.

Moving up to a P5 school and risking reduced playing time, wouldn't seem a smart move, when he's all but assured a starting spot here where he can put up big numbers again.

I think he's over 100 tackles and around 6 sacks..Not to mention TFL, and how many plays he's made chasing guys down to stop potential first downs and big gains.

I guess it would depend on what type of grade he is getting. 3rd/4th round..He probably bolts. 4th-7th, probably should stay..

Last edited:
It looks like based on the 247 ranking, he will be the third highest rated recruit in the 2022 class for UNLV and will push the average UNLV rating up even further over other teams. Had offers from Air Force, Colorado, CSU, FAU, Fresno St., Navy, SJSU, SDSU and Utah State. His 86 rating on 247 will put him in or near the top 10 all time UNLV recruits and will also put him around the 5-10 spot in the overall MWC recruits for 2022!

Last edited:
Jacoby Widman is leaving
Who the f_ck is this guy? He ain't going anywhere the Captain is here to see things through. Quality over quantity this years theme. Playing well at the end sure has helped. Need just one good qb run like C. Herring senior year and this team can turn the corner.
And for Pete's sake get the black hole available for students next year. I hate to complain about a 2 billion dollar upgrade in the stadium but I had front row tickets in the end zone felt like I was making a difference down low but in the new stadium my end zone seats feel like I'm in the mezzanine section. End zone seats suck big time.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It looks like based on the 247 ranking, he will be the third highest rated recruit in the 2022 class for UNLV and will push the average UNLV rating up even further over other teams. Had offers from Air Force, Colorado, CSU, FAU, Fresno St., Navy, SJSU, SDSU and Utah State. His 86 rating on 247 will put him in or near the top 10 all time UNLV recruits and will also put him around the 5-10 spot in the overall MWC recruits for 2022!
Higher than Master?

Masters is the highest rated recruit in the class for UNLV, based on the 86 he should be third in the class. Of course, currently looking at the rankings on 247, they currently don't shown him with a rating for the class, but on his page it shows an 86. I am sure in the next couple of days we will find out what his exact rating will be in the class. An example is the highest rated player in the unr class has a rating of 83 with a composite of 0.8418. Master has an 85 with a composite of 0.8696, but I am not sure yet what the composite will be for Salisbury? It is possible he could be #1 in the class, but we will need to wait and see?

Reactions: billd99s
Masters is the highest rated recruit in the class for UNLV, based on the 86 he should be third in the class. Of course, currently looking at the rankings on 247, they currently don't shown him with a rating for the class, but on his page it shows an 86. I am sure in the next couple of days we will find out what his exact rating will be in the class. An example is the highest rated player in the unr class has a rating of 83 with a composite of 0.8418. Master has an 85 with a composite of 0.8696, but I am not sure yet what the composite will be for Salisbury? It is possible he could be #1 in the class, but we will need to wait and see?
I believe Masters is either #1 or #2 in the MWC, if this kid ranked higher then he should be the highest in the MWC. Which would be insane. We have some RS players that are highly ranked coming in next year, too...

I believe Masters is either #1 or #2 in the MWC, if this kid ranked higher then he should be the highest in the MWC. Which would be insane. We have some RS players that are highly ranked coming in next year, too...

Another nice thing is that the defense has improved as the season went along. Some of that can be attributed to the staff giving younger players more and more time as they got comfortable with the scheme.

Not saying this will be a top 50 defense next year, but it could be the strength of the team instead of the liability it's been for the last decade or so..

Just the fact that the defense is close to mediocre is a small miracle.
Arroyo took over a terrible defense with minimal talent, where most of the guys that rose to the top of talentless roster left/ graduated. Of course Sanchez neglected his defensive recruiting.
They are coming around ahead of schedule. Also kudos to the DC.

Just the fact that the defense is close to mediocre is a small miracle.
Arroyo took over a terrible defense with minimal talent, where most of the guys that rose to the top of talentless roster left/ graduated. Of course Sanchez neglected his defensive recruiting.
They are coming around ahead of schedule. Also kudos to the DC.

Aside from Jacoby, some of the more heralded Sanchez recruits have been non factors. Not a knock on them, maybe they just don't fit new scheme.

As bad as defense was last year, there were schematic things that I liked and saw them trying to do.

DC is a smart guy. Defense has been decent to good in every game in the first half. Would wear down in second as offense stalled early in the tear. As offense got better defense did as well.

Currently 80th in total defense.

Top 60 vs the run (that will change after today vs Air Force)

If Jacoby stays, I think there is a chance for defense to take huge strides next year. If he leaves, another baby step.

Aside from Jacoby, some of the more heralded Sanchez recruits have been non factors. Not a knock on them, maybe they just don't fit new scheme.

As bad as defense was last year, there were schematic things that I liked and saw them trying to do.

DC is a smart guy. Defense has been decent to good in every game in the first half. Would wear down in second as offense stalled early in the tear. As offense got better defense did as well.

Currently 80th in total defense.

Top 60 vs the run (that will change after today vs Air Force)

If Jacoby stays, I think there is a chance for defense to take huge strides next year. If he leaves, another baby step.
Hype vs production, Vic crushed Straiten.

Hype vs production, Vic crushed Straiten.

This is why I hate guys getting overhyped..

It's not fair to them.

Should say:

Highly sought after recruit. Could fill a need at X position. Looks like a good find. Etc...

Shouldn't say:

Sunday player. Can't miss. Program changer.

Again, it's not fair to the player. In regards to Viramontes, talented guy, maybe he just didn't fit the defense here. Maybe dealt with injuries we didn't know about. I don't know.

Just not a fan of hyperbolic stuff...

Reactions: dcut03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT