ADVERTISEMENT

Few guys I haven't heard too much about

You would think and use our TE's for run blocking but have them leak out for passes on RPO.
TE is usually used to set the edge in an RPO scheme. I guess you could run to the short side of the field on an RPO and bring the TE across the middle from the opposite side.

TE is usually used to set the edge in an RPO scheme. I guess you could run to the short side of the field on an RPO and bring the TE across the middle from the opposite side.
I think Oregon used to do it too but am thinking of how the Eagles run it if the QB doesn't hand off the TE comes off the defender and throw to him. Eagles do it with bubble screens too.

I think Syracuse puts up the most points on us at least so far. But yes I think we will try to keep the defense rested.
Cain is also big and it guess he is a pretty good run blocker. I do think both Cain and Ballungay get more targets with MHW

Agreed that we've been running the ball a lot, especially the QB's, but I would think that doing so would also open up the passing game. After 4 games, and a combined 4 catches between the two of them (Bal-3, Cain-1), I'd say we can get them the ball more, even with only 15-20 attempts per game.
The run game is fine, because again, the Oline is really dictating things. If you are averaging 6.5 yards a carry at home, there’s no real need to throw it or risk a sack/turnover. It’s clearly about control and limiting mistakes.

I think Oregon used to do it too but am thinking of how the Eagles run it if the QB doesn't hand off the TE comes off the defender and throw to him. Eagles do it with bubble screens too.
The Eagles run that play to Dallas all the time but that's not an RPO, that's play action with a fake dive. Broadcasters have an issue calling any play the QB turns perpendicular to the field with a throw out of it as an RPO. It's simple play action.

The run game is fine, because again, the Oline is really dictating things. If you are averaging 6.5 yards a carry at home, there’s no real need to throw it or risk a sack/turnover. It’s clearly about control and limiting mistakes.
and keep the ball out of McCord's hands. Limit their plays to 50-55 and we're in business.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Regarding Cain and Ballenguay, a couple things. We almost exclusively run the ball, and two our quality of opponents dictates our game plan. It seems that this year we are heavily focused on controlling the clock since our Oline can win in the trenches and Odom has completely revamped the defense. Given that we control the clock, our defense is extremely well rested. Expect the same thing against Syracuse.

Compare that to prior years where we are getting in track meets or worse, blown out. I completely misread the way the offense would develop, I thought it would be a high flying, very uptempo offense.

Marion has said in a number of interviews he wants the offense to play fast. Says it's multiple in what it can do, but at its core it's a physical downhill running game that opens up shots downfield.

yeah, that's going to be key. Get some sacks and hits on the QB. Hopefully that will lead to some rushed throws and turnovers.

Do what Rocky Long did to the MWC for years. Get pressure, make the QB anticipate pressure even when they aren't bringing it. Get the QB to see 'ghosts' not trust his own eyes/reads of the coverage.

Bring pressure from all different spots. Keep QB and OL guessing where it is coming from.

The Eagles run that play to Dallas all the time but that's not an RPO, that's play action with a fake dive. Broadcasters have an issue calling any play the QB turns perpendicular to the field with a throw out of it as an RPO. It's simple play action.
A designed play like that would be a good way to get our TE's involved I think we have more talent there than we have utilized so far.

Do what Rocky Long did to the MWC for years. Get pressure, make the QB anticipate pressure even when they aren't bringing it. Get the QB to see 'ghosts' not trust his own eyes/reads of the coverage.

Bring pressure from all different spots. Keep QB and OL guessing where it is coming from.
Thats what this defense is designed to do. We changed our pre-snap looks 3 or 4 times and made Keene have no idea where the pressure was coming from. Some times his line didnt even know who they were going to block.

Thats what this defense is designed to do. We changed our pre-snap looks 3 or 4 times and made Keene have no idea where the pressure was coming from. Some times his line didnt even know who they were going to block.

Exactly. My post was worded funny like I was saying we need to do what Long's defense did. I was trying to say we are doing what Long's defense use to do to QBs.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

It was crazy how fast we'd get to Keane with only 3 down lineman and a LB to be named later with 5 OL with a TE and/or RB staying in to block.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT