ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Graney rallying Greg Anthony and LJ in campaign to push Augmon hire ?

BleedRebelRed90

All American
Oct 10, 2013
(In the way of disclosure, I'm still neutral on whether Stacey should be on the UNLV HC "short list", but I find some of the timing of this a bit suspicious, and that is compounded by the fact that Ed Graney was chosen as a point man on this). Since a lot of you won't ever click on a link to a Graney column, here are some sound bytes. I guess one thing I immediately found odd was that most likely if the LVSun had ran the story about Augmon's HC interest then Graney would have had multiple columns about how unqualified he was and how it was just re-electing "four more years".

Graney: "Augmon is in his fifth season on UNLV's staff, and during that time, he has spoken little to the media — more on that later — but talked exclusively with the Review-Journal this week on why he believes the administration should look first in his direction when deciding on its next head coach."

Suddendly Graney is a post-humous Dave Rice supporter?

Graney: "Rice was ensured the entire season by UNLV with certain parameters to meet — most specifically to return the Rebels to the NCAA Tournament after missing the field the previous two years — and yet the university then reneged on its pledge, firing him Jan. 10."

And what about Graney doing a flip-flop on the worth of Rice's coaching staff? Let's not forget that only a month ago Graney's take on the existing UNLV staff was:

Graney a month ago: "Rice's staff failed him. You can't overstate the importance of those who assist a head coach in college basketball, in how often wins and losses are determined by how well those people do their jobs in terms of scouting and preparation and in-game suggestions.
Rice's staff hasn't been good enough. Not close. It was incredibly weakened upon Justin Hutson departing after two years and returning to a similar position at San Diego State. Hasn't been as strong since...
But for all the hype that has surrounded UNLV's recent recruiting classes — of which Simon and assistant coach Ryan Miller are afforded much of the credit for landing — and for all the supposed talent the Rebels have, how in the world is UNLV this bad at the point guard spot, and why does its players continue to make the same foolish (unintelligent) mistakes game after game?
"

Reactions: bcvegaspt
What is the rat that is being smelled? Pitino is not coming to UNLV. I have no idea who might come. But since Tark left, the only real good selection for unlv coach was Kruger and he was seriously under appreciated by our fickle fans. Based on that record, there is a good chance that the next choice will also fail to live up to the expectations of rebel fans.

With that track record, I would be interested in giving Augmon an honest shot at the job. In the Graney article, he certainly, in my humble opinion, nailed the problem with the last 5 years, NO CONTINUITY!!!

I also have little confidence that some booster is going to "save" the program. A savior would have to donate 10 million dollars to unlv athletics in order to boost a new coaches salary 2 million a year for 5 years. That money has to be donated upfront so that it is unlv that is paying the coach. You cannot have a booster paying the coach directly. That is probably an ncaa violation and dangerous. The new coach has got to work for unlv and not for some booster!

On the other hand, I love conspiracies! So please let the nefarious schemes be posted for the amusement of all!

I boycotted the RJ about 4 years ago, maybe 5. If I see a link on here, I won't click to give them traffic.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
the boosters should just drop popovich 10 mill a year and we can all get this over with. hear that boosters? we are counting on you not completely blowing it. but youre still gonna blow it.

EDIT: this is one of those conspiracy comments cause i know youre out there, boosters. you have a friend that wants a job because he couldnt hack it at his last job. so you lay down the cash to help your friend out, even though he is terrible. but youre just sitting out there with your money, you think you know what would make this program better. but you dont. and you dont care to listen to fans. you just need more people to show up and see your ads for used cars. so you are just out to sell out the mack with the intentions of making more money in the short term. im on to you.

and with that, from what i have noticed, this team is 2-0 when kreigh lets her hair down. if findlay knew anything about basketball, he would request that darth todd be replaced by the undefeated kreigh.

Last edited:
Anyone and everyone that follows UNLV sports could be considered a booster, so I am not sure why any specific booster is blowing it if they don't drop a lot of money, otherwise the same could be said of anyone on this site that doesn't send in money for a new coach.

It would be nice for someone with a lot of money to step up and help, but they are not blowing it if they don't decide to pay for the next coach.

No idea what Graney's agenda now is... He acts like this is the first pregame warmup this season that has been treated like a joke:

Graney: "UNLV, on the other hand, was lost defensively all night. Its zone was pedestrian — the Rebels still haven't guarded Air Force in the high post — and those on the bottom were unbalanced time and again. Some extended far enough out of it. Some didn't.
an an hour before tipoff when the academy had a pregame ceremony for a group of new cadets being sworn into the Air Force. UNLV players were shooting at one end of the court when associate head coach Ryan Miller, in respectable fashion, told the Rebels to stop and observe the moment. It was the correct gesture by Miller.

A few UNLV players kept dribbling and shooting and messing around. Miller walked over and reminded them to stop. He tried taking the ball from one, who instead bounced it behind his back and held it as Miller shook his head and walked away.

That's the attitude UNLV players showed up with here, and a few hours later, they paid for it dearly. Not in the standings. UNLV was out of the league race almost before it began.

But in the big picture of what this team has become as it plays out the season, this wasn't good."

Having a pre game dunk contest against SDSU or someone is one thing(still intolerable), showing a lack of class when cadets are being sworn in to the armed service is something beyond intolerable.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Kind of tells the story without telling the story. Miller just shakes his head and walks away.

And they wonder why they can't win. Attitudes suck.

If the new coach is a disciplinarian I bet half the players walk away. And that is exactly what we need.

I have a feeling the next couple of years won't be fun.

Having a pre game dunk contest against SDSU or someone is one thing(still intolerable), showing a lack of class when cadets are being sworn in to the armed service is something beyond intolerable.
There are 2 sides to every story. Maybe the players weren't aware of the seriousness of what was going on. How many times do the players continue shooting while game balls are being given out. I know it is not the same thing but someone from AF should have gone over and spoken to the players before hand to let them know what was going on. As for the ball with Coach Miller, they were just playing, maybe that's the type of relationship they had with him. I've been tough on the players myself, but in this case I don't think it is fair to attack them over a situation they may not have fully understood. Especially as reported by that Rebel hater.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
If it's true that is awful! And it should be obvious what was happening so there isn't any excuse. It would be very disrespectful of them to act in this way. Disgraceful even! And I agree that if it's true then it pretty much sums up what this team has become.

There are 2 sides to every story. Maybe the players weren't aware of the seriousness of what was going on. How many times do the players continue shooting while game balls are being given out. I know it is not the same thing but someone from AF should have gone over and spoken to the players before hand to let them know what was going on. As for the ball with Coach Miller, they were just playing, maybe that's the type of relationship they had with him. I've been tough on the players myself, but in this case I don't think it is fair to attack them over a situation they may not have fully understood. Especially as reported by that Rebel hater.

Rebel hater or not, I seriously doubt he just fabricated the story.

If the coach walked up and said stop, that is the end of it. I don't care what kind of relationship they have with him.

Rebel hater or not, I seriously doubt he just fabricated the story.

If the coach walked up and said stop, that is the end of it. I don't care what kind of relationship they have with him.
I didn't say he made it up I said I thought maybe the players didn't understand the gravity of what was going on. I also don't see the point of reporting it either. Any one serving in the military, past, present, or future has my deepest respect and I'm sure the players would agree.

There are 2 sides to every story. Maybe the players weren't aware of the seriousness of what was going on. How many times do the players continue shooting while game balls are being given out. I know it is not the same thing but someone from AF should have gone over and spoken to the players before hand to let them know what was going on.

That is very true, there are two sides and Graney paints only the side that suits his agenda... he chooses not to mention that AF continued shooting which would leave the Rebels unaware of the seriousness when Miller was saying to take a break from shooting (not that it excuses them goofing around in response to it):

Kreigh Warkentien ‏@kreighzy Feb 17
@ryanmgreene @edgraney For the record, Air Force basketball did not stop their pregame routine. They continued to shoot during ceremony.

Kreigh Warkentien ‏@kreighzy Feb 17
@ryanmgreene @edgraney it was very confusing and a huge misunderstanding.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT