ADVERTISEMENT

DTLV

T.E. Parker

Publisher
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2002
Just an absolute joy to go watch the Runnin' Rebels in that type of environment last night. Mayor Goodman spoke about how everywhere in the world is envious of Las Vegas (not sure about that completely), but she was right regarding what they did last night.

Over the years, the majority of things the UNLV marketing department has took a swing at has been hit and miss. This was a home run. The only complaint would be some more bleachers, but at least they had the foresight to have everything be shown on that giant HD screen. You saw everything and you still felt the energy from the crowd.

Austin Starr winning the 3-point title was cool. Will he be the next walk-on that earns himself some time over the next four years, just like Curtis Terry was able to do? I don't know about that, but he didn't look scared out there, so that's a plus.

I would've liked to have seen McCaw enter the 3-point shootout. Fans really want to rally behind him. John threw a couple unexpected barbs his way during the event, "Pat is too cool." That surprised me.

The slam dunk contest was the highlight of the night capped by Derrick Jones doing his normal jumping over a whole team full of players. Jones is simply amazing. The luster is ruined in these types of events because we've seen these dunks before, but can you just imagine the first time Jones comes soaring in for an alley-oop over a big man how the roof is going to blow off the T&M.

If everyone can keep their egos in check, this team has a chance to be awfully special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News