ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Brumfield

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
How far of a lead do you think Brumfield has in the qb race? It seems like he and the commits coming in are treating him as QB1?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
How far of a lead do you think Brumfield has in the qb race? It seems like he and the commits coming in are treating him as QB1?
No idea. I'd assume it's his to lose, since he's the most experienced at UNLV, and was the starter last year, except when injured. That being said, this past season, it seemed that a big reason Bailey was behind was that he didn't fully understand the intricacies of the offense, and the overall playbook. With a new system coming in, I'd say they all get a little closer depending on who picks up the offense the best and quickest.

Job belongs to whoever steps up to take it. Hes got a leg up as the incumbent QB1, but if someone else impresses the new staff or he gets hurt/shows hesitancy towards running the offense, he could be unseated. Spring camp will be telling, but I sure hope the new staff locks in quickly to QB1 and doesnt leave up right up to kickoff of game 1 like Arroyo constantly did.

Doug has all the tools, I just haven't seen him run even simple zone read option stuff properly--and the gogo is generally asking you to make at least 3. Can he learn that? Can he stay healthy running the ball?

I'd probably say he'd the leader right now, but with a new system it doesn't always click.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The new system seems complex. I think the QB that first grasps the in's and out's of the system will be the #1.
I think this system is much less complex than the last one, at least for the QB.
The offense is unique so there will be a bit of a learning curve, but the reads are going to be easier.
The odd fronts makes the defense commit a little more pre snap, and typically the QB is only looking at one or two defenders to make a decision where to throw the ball. And all they need to see is their first few steps after the snap.

Marion developed this offense to make it somewhat easy to learn and to be used with all different types of personnel. He was able to torch us at Howard on their first game in the system.

For sure all QBs are in the same situation from a playbook perspective. As for the OP, I would say Brum is in the lead being the best runner of the group. But I can see Bailey win out since he is a better runner then you think and he may be able to pick up the reads better, which is essential to this offense.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Long time UNLV Rebel Football supporter. QB position, determines W/L more than any other factor in my opinion.
Just looking back to the last three Head Coaches, and their evaluations of 1st Team QB it's no wonder we haven't elevated the program.
Bobby Hauck and Caleb Herring: Caleb was the least effective QB early in his UNLV career. So much so he became a WR. Then out of nowhere, his Senior Season, a injury to QB 1st Team, Caleb comes in & leads UNLV to their last bowl game. I didn't see that happening. Caleb had a great Senior season for UNLV.
Tony Sanchez and Armani Rodgers: Tony's best team here, the one with 5 wins was a much better team with John Stanton at QB when Rodgers went out with injuries. Rodgers came back to perform horrible at UNR, which with a win there we were going bowling.
Marcus Arroyo and Doug Brumfield: Attended the Cal game, we had a chance to win late in the game. Poor decisions by QB instead of stepping up and making the plays (especially the 1st & goal play late in the 4th quarter where he started to run then at the last second over thows WR. Looked like a TD if he runs to me. Attended the Utah St. game. biggest win of the year. UNLV won because Utah St. QB threw 6 INT's that game. Attended the SDSU game, Brumfield threw 2 INT's both were horrible passes.
No idea who UNLV's starting QB will be in 2023. Whoever wins the job has to make good decisions and execute plays. Herring did just that his Senior year. The question is can Brumfield do that this upcoming season.

Hate to sound like a douchebag but I think Doug is damaged goods.

Hope he proves me wrong. Put in the white QB until he gets concussed as well.

I keep reading how Caleb Herring had a great season and took UNLV to a bowl game, while I have a different perspective on the bowl season. UNLV won 7 games in 2013 and 6 of those wins were against teams with losing records. UNLV was blown out in 5 of their 6 loses. UNLV in 2022 won 5 games and of those four were easy wins. Of the 7 loses, 4 were close games, and 3 were blow out loses. In reality I believe the level of play for both seasons was very similar. If UNLV had gone to a bowl games in 2022, I expect they would have lost as badly as the team did in 2013. The change in the coach is due to the fact that UNLV needs to start winning all the games against bad teams and be competitive in every other game.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I keep reading how Caleb Herring had a great season and took UNLV to a bowl game, while I have a different perspective on the bowl season. UNLV won 7 games in 2013 and 6 of those wins were against teams with losing records.
I dont disagree with the result of a 2022 bowl, honest it would probably have been worse in 22 than 13. But Caleb was excellent that year, certainly by UNLV standards. First 2 losses, he didn't play. (Nick sherry's second year. He was really good in year 1, but got crushed repeatedly and eventually injured playing bsu when they were a top 10 team... never was the same after that)

Lost at ranked fresno state 38-14
Lost to 6-6 sjsu
Lost to 9-5 usu

This was the season that sjsu and Davis fales upset undefeated fresno state Derek carr, who were unfeated going into last week of the season

Per espn, 63% completion 2700 yards. 24-5 td-int ratio and a qb rating of 136.7

And 5 rushing touchdowns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT