ADVERTISEMENT

Did we just jog up the court and go for a layup down by 4?

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
Am I smoking crack? Is this winning time basketball?
Did a 70’s has been program just beat an 80’s has been program.

Just not acceptable.

Am I smoking crack? Is this winning time basketball?
Did a 70’s has been program just beat an 80’s has been program.

Just not acceptable.
Taking the layup is just fine. They moved a little slowly but it wasn’t horrific. The layup cut it to 2.

The problem was they didn’t know what to do defensively after a time out. Full court press. Ok. Didn’t play for a steal at all, didn’t trap and worst of all, we didn’t foul until I don’t know how many seconds ticked off. If that’s what was intended, it’s bad coaching. I’m sure it wasn’t intended. But if we were supposed to be doing something else, as I suspect, they didn’t get it. Can’t happen when you are drawing it up during a timeout. That’s just low IQ or lack of translation/poor communication. Any way you slice it, it was ridiculously poor.

Reactions: LocoRebel
He was wide open and lost control of the layup...

It was a valiant effort.

Well Larry Bird was better than anyone Unlv ever had.

But yes, a flash in the pan program beating one that was a national power for almost 20 years is tough to take.
Do not think any hoop powerhouse back in unlv heyday has fallen as far and for as long as unlv.

But yes, a flash in the pan program beating one that was a national power for almost 20 years is tough to take.
Do not think any hoop powerhouse back in unlv heyday has fallen as far and for as long as unlv.
Closest would probably be Depaul, but they didn’t elevate to our level.... or if you want to go way back, USF, which would probably be a worse drop. Since we’ve made it to a handful of tourneys since we won it all.

But yeah, it’s sad. That’s what happens when you let the Maxsons of the world at your school.

Yea, I would have loved to see a prime LJ vs old Larry Bird back in the day..

Just a tough bitter pill to swallow. We have joined Indiana St, DePaul..

Just a closer step to USF..

By the way, welcome to the board.

Okay, the ghost of Bird is laughing at the ghost of LJ & Stacey. Or to put them in their proper chronological perspective, the ghost of Easy Eddie, Gonzo, Reggie and all three Smiths. Although our first great FF team (we wuz robbed!), came a year before Larry’s team that got beat for the NC by Magic’s Spartans.

Anyway, take the loss like a team (and fanbase) of men. Try to learn from the mistakes and move on.

I still like this team. They stumbled today, but they’re still on a trajectory that will serve them well in conference. I'm keeping my rose-tinted specs.

Do we have a game vs the Bucknell-TCU loser? When might that be? Is there anywhere to see it? With 4:30 left in the first half TCU is up by 7. I expect them to win this game, but it’s still very early, and Bucknell us certainly within range.

Never mind, I found the losers bracket game. It's on at 4:30 on Tuesday on ESPNU (Cox 1320).
cc51584a347a53e37338af775f3b1dcd.jpg

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT