ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders

I assume the only way Coach Prime agrees to go to CU is if they change their transfer rules, no way he’d go unless they do. So assuming that will happen, he will get some impact guys to Boulder soon, starting with his son and Travis Hunter from Jackson St. I’m guessing you will see a lot of Florida kids heading west.
I didnt even bring this up, good point rebswin2 CU has so many pitfalls in the way of being good like they once were. If Prime goes there, it’s the first time they have shelled out any cash at all fora HC. They are desperate now and look like they are pulling out all the stops to remain relevant, they were in the freaking bottom 10 this season!

I assume the only way Coach Prime agrees to go to CU is if they change their transfer rules, no way he’d go unless they do. So assuming that will happen, he will get some impact guys to Boulder soon, starting with his son and Travis Hunter from Jackson St. I’m guessing you will see a lot of Florida kids heading west.

He will be able to recruit. CU is pretty bad right now, so how will the transition be between a depleted bottom 3rd of the PAC12 roster to top of the conference. And at that price if he doesn't get results right away how much patience will they have in Boulder?

Class of 2025.

I get that he is going to attract high level talent in his recruiting classes but is the attraction going to remain after he doesn’t win a lot in the first two seasons?

We were never in the running for him, so this isn’t about me eating sour grapes about his situation. I’m just being real.

I wish he and CU all the luck in the world, even though I don’t closely follow either.

I think Colorado is in a weird place and I don't know that many coaches can come in and get an instant turnaround. Nick Saban took 4 years to get MSU more than a game above .500, took 3 years to get LSU from decent to challenging in the SEC, and a full year at barely over .500 at Bama before turning them into a juggernaut.

Honestly, Urban Meyer is about the only guy I can think of that has turned around every program basically in the first year he was there.

I think Deion is going to have some struggles in his first 2 years, especially if he's dead-set on retooling his entire roster and at this stage it's going to be hard to get a lot of those 4 and 5 star guys for 2023 and 2024 to jump ship without any proof of concept on the field. Colorado was terrible last year, but had only been 'bad' the 3-4 years before that with at least 4 wins every season.

As far as rebuilds, this isn't the toughest job ever--but how will the community feel about that price tag if he doesn't get instant results. Will Deion have accountability if he doesn't get instant success? Deion is a charismatic and talented man, but there's a reason one of his nicknames is Me-on Sanders. The guys whole speech to the team was 'Me' and 'I', which makes me always feel a little nervous.

I think Colorado is in a weird place and I don't know that many coaches can come in and get an instant turnaround. Nick Saban took 4 years to get MSU more than a game above .500, took 3 years to get LSU from decent to challenging in the SEC, and a full year at barely over .500 at Bama before turning them into a juggernaut.

Honestly, Urban Meyer is about the only guy I can think of that has turned around every program basically in the first year he was there.

I think Deion is going to have some struggles in his first 2 years, especially if he's dead-set on retooling his entire roster and at this stage it's going to be hard to get a lot of those 4 and 5 star guys for 2023 and 2024 to jump ship without any proof of concept on the field. Colorado was terrible last year, but had only been 'bad' the 3-4 years before that with at least 4 wins every season.

As far as rebuilds, this isn't the toughest job ever--but how will the community feel about that price tag if he doesn't get instant results. Will Deion have accountability if he doesn't get instant success? Deion is a charismatic and talented man, but there's a reason one of his nicknames is Me-on Sanders. The guys whole speech to the team was 'Me' and 'I', which makes me always feel a little nervous.
Good point. He and his speech are and we’re very egocentric.

Usually when a new leader comes in and his or her first word is “There will be changes” not only in sports but in business. That person will usually fail. He might bring in the best guys but in his demeanor he wont be affective gelling them to work together. People who say dividing things will have their own pets and it will eventually soften the foundation. I don't see DS being successful at CU.

I’ve been to a lot of CU games, including one this season, I’ve always liked them, but it’s going to be tough for me to hope that they do well with him there. He makes it easy to cheer against him.

Can you even imagine DS getting the UNLV job and getting all these 4-5 star kids wanting to come here not to mention those from big schools wanting to transfer?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I almost feel like there are a bunch of sour grape comments regarding Dion Sanders. While he has a short history as a head coach at Jackson State. He took a team that had won 3-5 games every season since 2014 and took them to a 11-2 2021 season followed up by a 12-0 2022 season which are the two best seasons in the history of the program. He also increased the attendance to over 37K in his first season which is miles beyond anything ever at UNLV. How many other coaches would have been able to recruit high level players, huge increase in attendance, and win as many games in only two seasons?

I full expect that he will have one of the better recruiting classes in the nation, and have seen nothing yet that tells me he will not be able to coach at Colorado.

As for being egocentric, if that is true, why would so many players want to play for him and why would the fans at Jackson State and now Colorado embrace him. The simple fact is I have no doubt UNLV would have gone after him for the position of coach if they though they could have gotten him, or they were turned down if they did make an offer.

I almost feel like there are a bunch of sour grape comments regarding Dion Sanders. While he has a short history as a head coach at Jackson State. He took a team that had won 3-5 games every season since 2014 and took them to a 11-2 2021 season followed up by a 12-0 2022 season which are the two best seasons in the history of the program. He also increased the attendance to over 37K in his first season which is miles beyond anything ever at UNLV. How many other coaches would have been able to recruit high level players, huge increase in attendance, and win as many games in only two seasons?

I full expect that he will have one of the better recruiting classes in the nation, and have seen nothing yet that tells me he will not be able to coach at Colorado.

As for being egocentric, if that is true, why would so many players want to play for him and why would the fans at Jackson State and now Colorado embrace him. The simple fact is I have no doubt UNLV would have gone after him for the position of coach if they though they could have gotten him, or they were turned down if they did make an offer.

I think people mistake or conflate the persona with the person.

The guy knows football.

He took the perfect job for his situation.

A school that has money but has been a little reluctant to spend it in the past. Finally got tired of middling results.

Amazing campus and atmosphere, good facilities. Should be a place he can get players to come.

A school that has had success in the past but has struggled recently. So expectations shouldn't be ridiculously high for his first year or two. This allows him a year to adjust to the P5 world.

I don't know if he can return CU to its glory days, but with USC and UCLA leaving, I think he can make them a contender in the Pac in pretty short order.

Two things. First I think it would have been great if DS became UNLV’s coach. Second, I thought his speech to the CU team was clownish. And the fact that his first meeting with the team was recorded and posted seems kind of bizarre. But I’ve noticed that bizarre works for a lot of people.

Bizarre is what brought in the fans at Jackson State to the tune of 42K in 2021. If Sanders had come to UNLV I expect we would have had fan support well above 40K in the first year. If UNLV could bring in 20K of new fans that would be in excess of $4 million in additional revenue at $200 per season ticket not even including parking and food revenue. Sanders is worth instant fan support, in the case of Odom he will need to take off in football like the first five games of next year and not slow down if we want to see a big increase in fan support by the end of the year.

As for being egocentric, if that is true, why would so many players want to play for him and why would the fans at Jackson State and now Colorado embrace him.
There's no question Deion is a charismatic guy with a ton of talent and who might be the best single recruiter in the country right now. Being egocentric and having people jump in and follow you are not mutually exclusive. History is literally littered with examples of that. Especially leaders who are successful. So far Prime has found nothing but success, so of course everyone is still 'embracing' him. He hasn't had to deal with any adversity really. How that ends up going will shape his success.

Managing a downtrodden P5 program with a poor talent base is a much different skillset than managing a HBCU team where he could just out-talent everyone with 1-2 classes of key players, and that gets a little harder when you have to deal with programs way ahead of you in talent.

I think Deion will be successful if he's given 2-3 years given the CU program state and the relatively strength of the PAC12, however, I also think that if his seat gets warm it will be interesting to see how he reacts to that. I think he's smart enough to surround himself with a good staff, and offers the CV that he can develop guys into NFL talent. I just would be surprised if he's 10-2 next year competing for a Rose Bowl...If that's drinking hatorade, then fine.

There is a good chance he will be bowl eligible next year due to several factors, recruiting and the schedule. They play TCU and UCLA next year, both will have new QB’s as for the rest of the schedule you have CSU, Arizona, ASU, Oregon State, WSU, Cal and Stanford and I bet there is an upset game for the BUFFS next year as well. I think he will find a way to squeeze out 6-7 wins next year and by doing so, he will be the talk of the college football world. Taking a 1-11 CU the previous year to bowl eligible the next will be hard to ignore!

Reactions: 220reb
I coached youth sports with a one time high level football recruit who had Deion as the player he was assigned to hang with during his Fla St visit. My buddy could not stand all Deion's talk during his visit and was a big reason he did not go there. My buddy did admit that Deion did all the stuff he was talking about back then like playing baseball.

Reactions: RebelScrub
I think Odom needs to win atleast 8 games to really stir up new fans and excitement. A strong start, fans will still have a doubts due to this seasons finish.
I have no doubt that he wants to. The question is, after losing guys in the portal, will he be able to bring in the talent to achieve that desire?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I'm going to say he will. There is a A LOT of talent in the portal. I'm excited to see what portal talent he can bring in year 1. The W/L in year one is dependent on it.
Especially if all of the current UNLV guys that have already gone into the portal or 'declared' don't end up coming back. We're gonna need a bunch of immediate contributors.

Deion will be a bust..

Next year is going to be rough for him. This isn’t some rinky dink HBCU team that he will be playing.

Deion will be a bust..

Next year is going to be rough for him. This isn’t some rinky dink HBCU team that he will be playing.
Fox Sports has Sanders kid as the front runner for the 2023 Heisman 🙄 He played at an HBCU for Christ's sake. Sure his stats were great but the level of competition wasn't. Plus Prime would need to coach the Buffs to AT LEAST 10 wins for his kid to even be considered as a hopeful. No Heisman winner ever came from a school with a bad record. I really doubt Colorado will go from 1 win to competing for the PAC12 championship

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I'm going to say he will. There is a A LOT of talent in the portal. I'm excited to see what portal talent he can bring in year 1. The W/L in year one is dependent on it.

This is no knock on Robbins...Liked him. Wasn't special though.

I dont know that he was any better than Tim Cornett or Chuck or Lex Heck I think X. Campbell could have put up similar numbers if he would have been the #1 instead of the #2 guy behind Lex.

Bigger losses are N. Williams and Lief in my opinion.

And I don't think they are irreplaceable. Rather have them than not, but definitely can find adequate replacements in my opinion.

Fox Sports has Sanders kid as the front runner for the 2023 Heisman 🙄 He played at an HBCU for Christ's sake. Sure his stats were great but the level of competition wasn't. Plus Prime would need to coach the Buffs to AT LEAST 10 wins for his kid to even be considered as a hopeful. No Heisman winner ever came from a school with a bad record. I really doubt Colorado will go from 1 win to competing for the PAC12 championship
One notable exception:

Paul Hornung carried the ball 94 times his senior year for 420 yards for an average of 4.5 yards per try. He completed 59 of 111 passes for a total offensive figure of 1,337 yards. He is the only Heisman winner to have played on a losing team as the Irish were 2–8 in 1956.

One notable exception:

Paul Hornung carried the ball 94 times his senior year for 420 yards for an average of 4.5 yards per try. He completed 59 of 111 passes for a total offensive figure of 1,337 yards. He is the only Heisman winner to have played on a losing team as the Irish were 2–8 in 1956.
Should have said "modern era." Didn't consider your era....😉

He may have got a couple, but most 4 or 5 star kids aren’t coming to UNLV to play football in the MWC regardless of who the coach is.
I beg to differ. With Bobby F*cking Petrino on board, all bet are off. BOBBY F*CKING PETRINO, WOW!!!
BP can walk into high school QB home with Lamar Jackson by his side and said "Hi there!"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT