ADVERTISEMENT

cook as the pg next yr

If he can be a distributor and defender he will be useful next year. I think the reigns are being handed to Seagears though.

Hopefully Cook used the ACL recovery period to add some upper body strength. Not Wink Adams level of bulking up, but enough to not get pushed aside like he was when playing at 165 pounds.

If Christian Wood leaves there won't be anyone left on the team that DC has played with before.

Never know with people transferring in and out anymore, but I like Daquan's game. Not sure if he has enough confidence to play at the elite D1 level though.

Seagers will be given the opportunity to share PG with McCaw, all things being equal.

McCaw is a capable PG, but not fantastic playing the point. I think Cook and Seagears will switch off, and Vaughn/McCaw will switch off if Vaughn stays of course.

There could also be a mix of all 3 at the PG, but I'd like to see McCaw get some time at his normal position as well.

Originally posted by MonsterJam:

Never know with people transferring in and out anymore, but I like Daquan's game. Not sure if he has enough confidence to play at the elite D1 level though.

Seagers will be given the opportunity to share PG with McCaw, all things being equal.
Finally someone says it. Seagers will be given the opportunity and probably "win out". DC I do believe will be a very good option as a backup. PM will move to the 2 with spot minutes at the 1. Don't forget we have Poyser coming in to fill minutes at the 1 and 2 unless he redshirts.

At the end of the day, next year everyone should be in a more comfortable spot playing their game from a depth chart perspective.

I agree with that. Pat looked good at point this year but it isn't his natural position and with multiple options next year there is no reason to pull an Anthony Marshall and play him there. He was becoming to good of a shooter.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

1: Seagers / DC / PM / JP (Redshirt?)
2: RV, JS, DJ, JC, JP (redshirt?)
3: DM, DJ (those 2 battle for starting 3 spot), JC, RV
4: Zimm (I still feel good about him), GO, BC, DM, CW (returns?), spot 4 small ball JC (big body)
5: GO, Zimm, BC when stretching the 4, CW (returns?)

Any ideas on that? That's kind of what I see atm.

1: Seagers, DC, PM, JP
2: RV, PM, JC, JS, DJ, DC, JP
3: DM, DJ, PM, JC, DJ (PM might start if RV comes back)
4: Zimm if he comes, GO, BC, DM, JC, DJ
5: GO, Zimm, BC

But who knows...Let the off season begin!

not to be a jerk but where and when did anyone see cook being a decent pg? he looked ok at times 2 years ago...

hes the 2nd or 3rd pg and that's fine 10-12 mins a game ....

if cook could play rice wouldn't have signed poyer ...seagers....smith who left...

unlv is going to be deep with talent the most since I can remember

I think morgan is the key the kid was the #15 overall recruit and can have a chris wood breakout year I just think the game was too fast for him this year and he didn't get enough run

its like the first time we played varsity ....all of the sudden it was fast....then with time it slowed down...

Asking McCaw to play the point will produce similar results to asking Anthony Marshall to run the point. Although different players, neither are true point guards. McCaw is a GUARD, just like AM is a guard. It may seem to some of you like McCaw should start at the point based on his play last season, and rightfully so, but it was only because he was the next-best option to Cody (or in my opinion; the better option). I promise you that McCaw is at his best when he's playing off-ball at least half the time.

Secondly, Cook is better than most of you think. If you've seen him play, then you know he has above-average court vision, and is a willing passer (loves to throw oops) who likes to push the ball.

If Cook does not win the starting PG spot, he could be very valuable to the team coming off the bench. Hopefully for Cook and the team, he will be willing to accept coming off the bench, if he indeed get's beat out for the starting spot. His best position is the point, but he can also play off guard.

And, this could well be a case where an injury helps a player. He had a year to mature as a person. A year to watch from the sidelines, hopefully a year to get stronger, plus work on his basketball skills. In a sense, this will be like getting a JUCO Transfer, only it's a player who will be in their 4th year with the program.

Originally posted by GucciBro:
Asking McCaw to play the point will produce similar results to asking Anthony Marshall to run the point. Although different players, neither are true point guards. McCaw is a GUARD, just like AM is a guard.
Completely disagree. McCaw isn't the all around player AM was just yet, but he appeared better equipped to play the point as a freshman than AM did as a 22 year old (I think?) Senior. I think Pat has a long way to go before hitting his ceiling as a point guard.

McCaw's skills could be every bit the "true point guard". I have no idea what you saw last year that leads you to believe he can't.

This post was edited on 3/21 2:11 PM by Mjs_702

Whenever McCaw played pg this year, he seemed to make things happen. The offense flowed like I haven't seen in a while. I would say that he is spectacular in each position - pg or sg.

He has the vision, the composure and the passing ability to play pg. I think that because he is also a good scorer, people assume he is better suited to be the "shooting" guard. But there's nothing wrong with a pg who can score.

We are fortunate to have someone who we know can be reliable in either position.

The Rebels have young players that need help with diet and weight training. Weight room and proper eating should be the concern for PM, GO, DM. Cornish already looks like a line backer. Incoming Rebels also look a little on the thin side. The teams succeeding in the tourney all have guys with mature body's, able to give and take punishment.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
I don't think anybody said he CAN'T do it, just that he is better as a 2.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I felt like that was implied, but if not, OK.

Regardless, McCaw still has plenty of room to grow at either guard position. If he chooses to focus on his PG skills, I think his ceiling may actually be higher there than at the 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT