ADVERTISEMENT

Constructive Criticism: @ USU

RunninRebl90

Rebel Legend
Apr 1, 2009
Vegas baby
No depth, no legs, no go to guy. That sums this loss up in a nutshell. The effort was certainly there and the heart was certainly there, but none of those things can replace what Rashad Vaughn does for this team; at least not for 40 full minutes. Credit Utah State, they played cohesive basketball and shot the ball extremely well. More than that though, they had the horses and UNLV didn't. Rebs fall and they fall hard.

Pros

When this team is dialed in, they are really good in transition and establishing a rhythm. Early, UNLV dictated tempo and used their superior length and athleticism to go right at Utah State and putting them on their heels. With a full compliment of players, i hope Rice sticks with this philosophy. It creates good looks on the offensive side of the ball and it makes the defense more active by creating a blood in the water type of shark frenzy. Right now it can't hold up consistently because of lack of bodies, but moving forward i feel it needs to be the focus.

Dwayne Morgan, welcome to the "Pro" portion of the game breakdown department. For the first time all season, Dwayne looked like the 5 star player he was billed to be (St Kats doesn't count IMO). He knocked down a variety of baskets and he looked comfortable doing it. It's too bad this performance happened in a loss, because it will probably be overlooked a bit because of the outcome. In a game where few stepped up, Dwayne didn't back down even when it got ugly. I can't wait to see if he can build off of it.

McCaw forced things some tonight, but he had to i felt. When nobody else is bringing it, i like that our most unheralded freshman takes it upon himself. That shows leadership in a way that talking can never hope to emulate. Sure he made some mistakes, but Pat never lets that deter him. In a season like this, those who can and cannot separate themselves. Patty is going to be one who can and then some. I continue to be unyieldingly proud of the way this kid plays the game of basketball and represents UNLV.

Cons

I hate that this team has become so predictable. They're going to play an inspired first half and look excellent doing it. The 2nd half they'll sleep walk through the first 5 or so minutes and let the opposition make a run. UNLV will then answer and play even the rest of the way... It felt like the team was relying on that predictability tonight and they didn't realize that when u are down to 7 players total, something has to change. They didn't initiate their own adjustments and the Aggies ran them out of the gym because of it. Evolve, or things will only get worse from here for this team.

Wood was bad in that 2nd half. No two ways about it. He displayed tonight why he needs to come back. Maturation is as important as a jumper or a post game. When things don't go his way, he is too hit and miss on the court. Sometimes like at the Pit he responds with vigor and gusto. Other times like this game and Boise, he wilts and takes himself right out of it. Chris needs an off-season spent in the weight room and watching film focusing only his positive and negatives and learn to trust the results he sees before his very eyes. If he does those two things he has a chance to catapult himself to where he thinks he is. If he doesn't, he could be just another wasted talent.

As the Rebels struggle to find their way without Shaddy, they've really fallen in love with the outside jumper. I think a lot of that has to do with fatigue, but it's a bad habit however u want to look at it. Couple that with a team wide low IQ and u get a group of chuckers. Sometimes it pans out and the team can get hot. New Mexico fell victim to that. Typically though, it's going to play right into the hands of the other team. The Rebels have really made the lives of opposing defenses easier since going 1-3 without Shad. They take a lot of 3's while ignoring the post for long stretches at a time. Goodluck has really come into his own as an offensive weapon on the block and Wood needs to get his butt down in that paint and stay there. Inside out is how this team has won games, especially when Chris is dialed in. Now get back to it!

I'll wrap it up there. A drubbing was bound to happen sooner or later under these conditions for UNLV, so it's not overly surprising that it happened in a really tough road environment. Who knows how this season will finish itself out, but if tonight was any indicator we could be looking at the first sub .500 season in who knows how long. Until next time, let's talk hoops guys... But let's keep it constructive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News