ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Mark Wade

Kruger's brother Fred

All American
Feb 27, 2010
Elected to the UNLV Hall of Fame. The consummate true point guard, Wade didn't score much but he racked up assists like crazy. Just as important, he was absolutely tireless on defense, fronting that Rebel press. His 2 years were as exciting as any, and although Fearless Freddie Banks and Armon Gilliam were the real stars, Wade made the engine run.

Last edited:
Elected to the UNLV Hall of Fame. The consummate true point guard, Wade didn't score much but he racked up assists like crazy. Just as important, he was absolutely tireless on defense, fronting that Rebel press. His 2 years were as exciting as any, and although Fearless Freddie Banks and Armon Gilliam were the real stars, Wade made the engine run.

You are RIGHT on so much, here...Wade could absolutely guard the ball, contained the point of attack while others got up in the passing lanes...Want to note how few "stars" were by his name coming out of Banning HS. He washed out of Oklahoma, then went to El Camino JUCO...Tark & Company did not get many McDonald's All-Americans, just tough suckers that played hard and got better...Props to Wade!

Fun team, easy for me to root for. I was drawn to that squad and it forever sealed my fate as a fan. Such excitement, such toughness, such personality. And Wade was the General of all we saw.

Mark is a great guy. I met him when I was 18, my parents owned a restaurant, he and some fellas ordered food - I made sure to deliver it when I saw Mark order. I was star struck, we talked for a bit, he invited me in. He was thankful for my fandom, he realized how important that '87 squad was to me. Fast forward to about 2000 - I went to watch Omari Pearson play in the North Gym for the first time. Walking out was Wade. To my amazement, he immediately recognized me and remembered my name. I thought it was cool that over a decade later, he remembered a brief encounter. We've been friends ever since.

This is long overdue, well deserved. I'm happy for him.

You are RIGHT on so much, here...Wade could absolutely guard the ball, contained the point of attack while others got up in the passing lanes...Want to note how few "stars" were by his name coming out of Banning HS. He washed out of Oklahoma, then went to El Camino JUCO...Tark & Company did not get many McDonald's All-Americans, just tough suckers that played hard and got better...Props to Wade!
Great defender, very underrated. I'll forever remember the glare, the laugh and smirk after ripping the ball away from Roy Marble (Iowa) in the Elite Eight comeback.

If memory serves, had 21 at home vs Navy in our record setting crowd game vs David Robinson.

Had 18/0 vs Indiana in the Final Four.

Don't quote me, that's just how I seem to remember it.
You're probably right. I just remember that he didn't need to score in order to impact the offensive side of the ball. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF.

His assist to turnover ratio was something insane like 5 or 6:1. I wish young players could see how passing and defense can make you as invaluable as any overhyped scoring machine. Congrats to Mark.

His assist to turnover ratio was something insane like 5 or 6:1. I wish young players could see how passing and defense can make you as invaluable as any overhyped scoring machine. Congrats to Mark.
Old point guards had the knack. The knew passing angles, they knew where each individual player wanted the ball, they knew spacing. Mark was wonderful with all that.

His assist to turnover ratio in 86-87 was 4.4:1. For some perspective most coaches are pretty please if their point guard is a little above 2:1.

Reactions: NSU67 and bcvegaspt
Pretty ridiculous it took this long. Thank goodness McDonald’s All-American Tom Lewis backed out of his verbal to UNLV and Mark hadn’t signed his paperwork yet with BYU. He was the straw that stirred the drink for the 85-86, 86-87 teams. Some times missing out on the big fish isn't as bad as it may seem at the time.

Amazing leader who understood exactly what Jerry wanted in a point guard. Coach and his point guard were totally in sync.

The other great intangible about Mark was he was a winner. First time I recall seeing him play we were there to scout John Williams who was a big time prospect who went on to lead LSU to the Final Four in 86. Mark led Banning to a big upset over Williams and Crenshaw high school in the 83 LA City finals.

Then Mark led El Camino to the 85 California Junior College title for which he was MVP of the tournament. Finally, led UNLV to its second number one ranking in the polls and second Final Four.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT