ADVERTISEMENT

CFN Mtn West primer

rebneck

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
Should be an interesting season, what with all the new faces on the field and on the sidelines. Just FYI, even though USC transfer Malachi Nelson is getting all the hype in Boise, Maddux Madsen was named QB1 this week. I'm sure Nelson will be given every chance to change that, tho.

CFN

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Here CFN looks at each MW team schedule and predicts W or L. They have the Rebs winning every home game and losing every road game. Personally, I think we may have had a shot at BSU if they were scheduled a month earlier, but I still don't think we're quite ready to get over that hump. And, I'm sorry, but we're not losing to UH anywhere.

CFN W-L predictions

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Here CFN looks at each MW team schedule and predicts W or L. They have the Rebs winning every home game and losing every road game. Personally, I think we may have had a shot at BSU if they were scheduled a month earlier, but I still don't think we're quite ready to get over that hump. And, I'm sorry, but we're not losing to UH anywhere.

CFN W-L predictions
I don’t think last season was a fluke. I think it was having a strong staff figuring things out, instilling things well and the players being receptive to it.

I don’t know that we will take a step forward record wise, I don’t think we will …. But if I see the same ballpark of focus and drive … the results are less important to me anyway … want to see a program, some definition, some identity, direction. If that shows through, I’ll be happy. I don’t want pieces are parts, let’s make the most of it, inconsistency all over the field.

Reactions: Homeskillett

CFN W-L predictions
I get the whole home vs away deal, but it’s pretty lazy to pick that way when doing predictions. Odds that we go winless on the road, and also go undefeated at home are pretty close to zero for me. My prediction is hovering closer to 7-5 with a bowl victory, so 8-5 overall. Hope they do better but the schedule is tougher.

CFN W-L predictions
Lazy writing... oh, they loose every road game.. easy analysis so you don't have to dig into them.
As for Nielson, touted signing by Boise, but supposedly basket case in the head. Easy to see how someone else could beat Him out. Also Madsen is the new HCs guy and started him till he got injured... coincidentally they weren't exactly good at that point either so it'll be interesting to see if he keeps the job. Again, I'm not high in the assistant getting promoted but he put them in a tough spot, I think the profile of their program could've led to a better hirer...

That Kansas game is going to be a battle Royale with the CFP implication on the line. Houston is a barometer but KU is the clincher.

That Kansas game is going to be a battle Royale with the CFP implication on the line. Houston is a barometer but KU is the clincher.
Roadie at Kansas could possibly be the toughest of the season.

I think this year's team beats UH of last year, but I don't have any idea about this year. I would imagine that year 2 in the Big 12 would help their recruiting. They also have a brand new coach, so who knows how they look.

As for laziness with predictions? Well at least they have us beating Syracuse. That other article had us losing against all P4 teams, (plus Oregon State).

Kansas is going to be the surprise Big 12 playoff team... they're going to be really good but you won't see it in preseason predictions

In addition to UH, I think we beat SJSU and Kansas on the road, but lose to BSU at home, for a pre-bowl record of 8-4. We'll talk about the bowl when there's something to talk about.

In addition to UH, I think we beat SJSU and Kansas on the road, but lose to BSU at home, for a pre-bowl record of 8-4. We'll talk about the bowl when there's something to talk about.
My expectation is the team will look at the BSU game as a revenge game!

Lazy writing... oh, they loose every road game.. easy analysis so you don't have to dig into them.
As for Nielson, touted signing by Boise, but supposedly basket case in the head. Easy to see how someone else could beat Him out. Also Madsen is the new HCs guy and started him till he got injured... coincidentally they weren't exactly good at that point either so it'll be interesting to see if he keeps the job. Again, I'm not high in the assistant getting promoted but he put them in a tough spot, I think the profile of their program could've led to a better hirer...
I agree we aren't losing every road game. Weak picking.

I don't know if my UNLV homerism has carried over to Football from basketball, but I really believe in this staff and the huge recruiting class. This article's predictions are non-sense. I do not believe we'll lose a single game we are favored to win. I also believe we'll steal one(maybe two) we were expected to lose. This is a really tough schedule! A schedule you normally wouldn't want to see as a UNLV football HC. I think the two unlucky schools that added us to their schedule this season will be OSO and Houston.

I don't see us beating Kansas. BSU will always be a toss-up. I know ZERO about Syracuse. I'm going to count all three as a loss. Add OSU or Houston and say our worst case scenario will be 8-4. 8-5 after they f**k us in the bowl selection. Best case scenario? 12-0! That would be the best. 15-0 if you take the Playoff wins into account.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think we’ll win seven or eight games. Back to back bowl games would be great. We’ve never been to back to back bowl games.

If you're seeing 2-losses on this schedule then you are settling for mediocrity! Our kicking game alone ensures us of 6-wins. Our kickoff/punt return units will account for 2-more. Then RW will win us an additional 3. We will get screwed out of the CFP but beat a P4 team handily in our bowl.

Then the entire staff returns since they have dreamed about coaching here and can't imagine going anywhere else! RW cries when he has to declare for the draft due to having no more college eligibility. Sluka surprises the world and gets drafted in the top 5 picks of the NFL draft since teams need QBs.

We get 4 guys drafted (RW and Sluka in the first round) and two other guys in the 3-5 rounds.

THIS is reality!

Reactions: SilverSpoon
Hey Rebneck,

Do you think Boise will be good this year being up in Broncoland?
I have some doubts, mostly because their new coach has a significantly worse resume than say Brenna Marion, and most of us wouldn't want him to take over the program if it came to that.
Their prized QB recruit seems to be a big crapshoot, especially since it looks like he was scared off by Maiava.
Boise has talent, and I think they were a lot better than they have shown under Avalos the past 2 seasons, but I am skeptical that they are frontrunners for the playoff like I have seen some people say.

Hey Rebneck,

I have some doubts, mostly because their new coach has a significantly worse resume than say Brenna Marion, and most of us wouldn't want him to take over the program if it came to that.
Their prized QB recruit seems to be a big crapshoot, especially since it looks like he was scared off by Maiava.
Boise has talent, and I think they were a lot better than they have shown under Avalos the past 2 seasons, but I am skeptical that they are frontrunners for the playoff like I have seen some people say.
Boise already named their QB1 and it is not the USC transfer. Their HC is questionable too..their roster must be solid?

Hey Rebneck,

Yeah, I think they'll be good. I wouldn't say HC Danielson has a bad resume, but rather a short one. He climbed fast and was super-popular with the players, and it showed after he replaced Avalos. He's talented, charismatic, and defense-oriented. He also has Dirk Koetter back as OC this year.

Maddux Madsen showed enough talent to displace Taylen Green as QB1 for the Broncos last year, but he was sidelined by an Achilles that left CJ Tiller as the deer in UCLA's headlights for the bowl game. Green is now QB1 at Arkansas and Tiller has fled to the Cache Valley and USU. Madsen has recovered enough to be named QB1 after Spring camp, but Malachi Nelson has made enough strides that virtually nobody outside of Maddog's camp thinks Madsen will still be QB1 by mid-season, let alone the end of the regular season.

Ashton Jeanty. Need I say more about the RB room? He'll probably declare for the NFL draft after this year and not last past Day 2. Cedric Minter remains safe atop the BSU RB record book. But I digress.... Breezy Dubar is a more than capable RB2, but incoming freshman Sire Gaines will have something to say about that as the season progresses.

WR/TE looks promising. Latrell Caples returns after missing all of last season due to pre-season injury. He was Bronco's leading receiver in '22. Prince Strahan, Austin Bolt and Travis Penry return good experience, while incoming talents Cam Camper (Indiana) and Chris Marshall (TAMU, juco) have people excited in Boise. Matt Lauter proved to be a talent at TE last year, but the other five guys are all pretty green.

Four of five starters return on the OL, but the one loss was all-MW RT Cade Beresford, who looks like he'll be getting a UDFA shot with Seattle. Hall Schmidt has been penciled in at RT. Depth could be an issue with the O line.

The defensive backfield seems to get the most fingers pointed at it for biggest question mark. The oft-injured Markel Reed returns for what seems like his eighth year at CB, opposite A'Marion McCoy. The rest of the CB are pretty short on experience. Safety looks strong with Oladipo, Robinson, Kaniho, Washington, and Benefield all proven performers. LB will need somebody to step up, with Simpson and Notarainni the most experienced of the bunch. They are looking for a bookend DE to put opposite Hassanein to balance the rush. German league refugee Max Stege has been in the program for a year and is an intriguing prospect/possibility. The interior DL is full of opportunity for the youngsters on the roster.

Jonah Dalmas returns just 17 FG short of being the NCAA all-time leader. Aussie James Ferguson Reynolds averaged 49.7 per punt last year and comes back for more. I think the BSU kicking game will be fine. ST coach Stacy Collins was stolen away by Penn State a few years ago, but he escaped Happy Valley and has returned, so special teams should be a strength.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but, yeah, they're looking forward to this season in Boise. OOC includes @Georgia Southern, @Oregon, Portland St., Washington St, and Oregon St, In case anyone missed it, they added @Notre Dame to their 2025 schedule.

Reactions: LocoRebel
If you're seeing 2-losses on this schedule then you are settling for mediocrity! Our kicking game alone ensures us of 6-wins. Our kickoff/punt return units will account for 2-more. Then RW will win us an additional 3. We will get screwed out of the CFP but beat a P4 team handily in our bowl.

Then the entire staff returns since they have dreamed about coaching here and can't imagine going anywhere else! RW cries when he has to declare for the draft due to having no more college eligibility. Sluka surprises the world and gets drafted in the top 5 picks of the NFL draft since teams need QBs.

We get 4 guys drafted (RW and Sluka in the first round) and two other guys in the 3-5 rounds.

THIS is reality!
af smoking GIF

Yeah, I think they'll be good. I wouldn't say HC Danielson has a bad resume, but rather a short one. He climbed fast and was super-popular with the players, and it showed after he replaced Avalos. He's talented, charismatic, and defense-oriented. He also has Dirk Koetter back as OC this year.

Maddux Madsen showed enough talent to displace Taylen Green as QB1 for the Broncos last year, but he was sidelined by an Achilles that left CJ Tiller as the deer in UCLA's headlights for the bowl game. Green is now QB1 at Arkansas and Tiller has fled to the Cache Valley and USU. Madsen has recovered enough to be named QB1 after Spring camp, but Malachi Nelson has made enough strides that virtually nobody outside of Maddog's camp thinks Madsen will still be QB1 by mid-season, let alone the end of the regular season.

Ashton Jeanty. Need I say more about the RB room? He'll probably declare for the NFL draft after this year and not last past Day 2. Cedric Minter remains safe atop the BSU RB record book. But I digress.... Breezy Dubar is a more than capable RB2, but incoming freshman Sire Gaines will have something to say about that as the season progresses.

WR/TE looks promising. Latrell Caples returns after missing all of last season due to pre-season injury. He was Bronco's leading receiver in '22. Prince Strahan, Austin Bolt and Travis Penry return good experience, while incoming talents Cam Camper (Indiana) and Chris Marshall (TAMU, juco) have people excited in Boise. Matt Lauter proved to be a talent at TE last year, but the other five guys are all pretty green.

Four of five starters return on the OL, but the one loss was all-MW RT Cade Beresford, who looks like he'll be getting a UDFA shot with Seattle. Hall Schmidt has been penciled in at RT. Depth could be an issue with the O line.

The defensive backfield seems to get the most fingers pointed at it for biggest question mark. The oft-injured Markel Reed returns for what seems like his eighth year at CB, opposite A'Marion McCoy. The rest of the CB are pretty short on experience. Safety looks strong with Oladipo, Robinson, Kaniho, Washington, and Benefield all proven performers. LB will need somebody to step up, with Simpson and Notarainni the most experienced of the bunch. They are looking for a bookend DE to put opposite Hassanein to balance the rush. German league refugee Max Stege has been in the program for a year and is an intriguing prospect/possibility. The interior DL is full of opportunity for the youngsters on the roster.

Jonah Dalmas returns just 17 FG short of being the NCAA all-time leader. Aussie James Ferguson Reynolds averaged 49.7 per punt last year and comes back for more. I think the BSU kicking game will be fine. ST coach Stacy Collins was stolen away by Penn State a few years ago, but he escaped Happy Valley and has returned, so special teams should be a strength.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but, yeah, they're looking forward to this season in Boise. OOC includes @Georgia Southern, @Oregon, Portland St., Washington St, and Oregon St, In case anyone missed it, they added @Notre Dame to their 2025 schedule.
I kinda forgot about Jeanty, I think I thought he was going to the draft. That plus 4/5 starters on the OL is a pretty big deal. Also getting back some of their best WRs is pretty big.

But I don't know man. There are a lot of huge question marks to have them (with Liberty and Memphis) as the favorites for the G5 playoff. I get that a MW team should be in the mix, and they won the championship last year.

I get that the team rallied around Danielson last season and they instantly got much, much better once he took over. But those are crazy circumstances. A HC getting fired mid season is a shock, and it can create a major kick in the pants to everyone left in the building. But we have seen that before, just to see that the magic stops once that promising interim coach takes over for good.

A short resume is a bad resume. Especially when a huge chunk of that was under a crappy coach. Objectively, it is a pretty weak hire based on credentials for a program like Boise. Like I said, we would be very upset if that happened here, and we are no Boise. Like I said Marion, who was an assistant under several, successful coaches, as well as having some HC experience. Danielson was a DC but under a defensive head coach.

Not saying he will fail. He could very well succeed. And last year is at the very least promising. But it is putting a lot of faith on a few games under weird circumstances. Maybe he has that "it" factor, but it feels like an emotional decision.

Like I said a MW team should be in the hunt for the playoff, and I guess Boise would be the favorite, but I wouldn't say it is an overwhelming favorite.

Yeah, I can see UNLV finished in the top 3 along with Boise and Fresno. Our defense should be vastly improved. Our LB corp will have a return of Brennan Scott and incoming freshman, Laster plus the Captain should be solid for example

Ever since their first Fiesta Bowl win, people have tended to think of offense when they think of BSU. But even during the Kellen Moore years, the Broncos always had a real stout defense (7 defensive NFL draft picks 2008-2012; 5 offensive). This year's defense will be nowhere on par with those. Too many question marks and undeveloped depth. If their defense doesn't rise up, they can forget about a big post-season game.

While I'm optimistic about OUR future, Boise is the champ until we beat them. Same with counting out AFA any season. I saw that AFA's win total is low this season. I'm not sure why.
It just feels strange to look at us and think, "oh yeah, top 3-4 in the league" and know that it's not just peering through scarlet colored glasses. A break here, a bad break there, and who knows...? Makes it real exciting, looking forward.

While I'm optimistic about OUR future, Boise is the champ until we beat them. Same with counting out AFA any season. I saw that AFA's win total is low this season. I'm not sure why.
Yep you have to beat the champs to be the champs. A first place finish wouldn’t surprise me at all. Either would a fall back to say 5th. It really will come down to Sluka IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT