ADVERTISEMENT

Can't put a ton of

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
stock into what we saw last night. It was a game everyone knew UNLV would win big and aside from a poor first six or seven minutes, UNLV obviously played well, but the resistance was weak. Just can't put a lot into it.

But you can take away some decent observations from any competition.

We know DJ is an athletic freak, but he's got some game, too. Really does remind me of Augmon offensively. If he can reach 3/4 of what Stacey was defensively, you're talking a star. He's gonna be a good one.

Poyser looked great, showed he can shoot it - I still want to see how he handles himself against real competition though.

Dwayne, difference is night and day. Love how he's playing to his role. This is exactly what UNLV needed from him last year and didn't get. Better late than never but he's carving out a very valuable niche that will ensure minutes on a squad where it's tough to get minutes. If Dwayne goes on to have success in basketball I think he will look back and be able to pinpoint the reason and when it happened.

Looks like we are getting the Pat we need back.

I love blue collar guys with smarts. I like Big Ben. A lot. Love how he uses his body.

Zimm is Zimm. He's a pro. Love some of that pnr action we are seeing with him but those gaps are going to be much tighter against better competition.

Cornish is struggling a little bit right now. Didn't think he'd struggle with his outside shot as he is. Probably pressing a little too much right now.

Goodluck looked better. I don't think UNLV needs him to be an all league player, but they need some oomph out of his minutes.

I do like that Jerome can hit shots and I do like that he can get in the lane. He seems to be getting more comfortable. Like the PG in years prior, I think he's the key.

Ike was better and I still think we are a long way off of seeing the best of him. And given his maturity, I think he will handle the time from where he's at until he gets to where UNLV needs him to be pretty well.

I'm not being jaded by what happened last night or in the first game. But I don't see anything I'd considered broken or something that needs to be fixed. I see a lot of things that just need tightening up and a lot of things that are already pretty good. The pieces are there.

The biggest battle is going to be management of egos/minutes and that sort of thing. And don't discount that as something that's easy, it's not. That falls on individual attitudes, team leaders and coaches. It CAN go awry - I don't think it'll ever go full tilt but I'm not going to assume that it can't, either.

I like where UNLV is at right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News