ADVERTISEMENT

Brought this up below

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Would like to hear what it is that you guys actually see. Not what you think the coach is thinking or what he has done in the past, but what you see.

With the roster make up, the way we've played, with the way we recruit, I'm having trouble making heads or tails of what is trying to be built. Usually you have some idea where somebody is going with it but I just don't see it.

With Bayno, he recruited as much overall talent as he could. It didn't work. Rice did the same thing but it was higher level recruiting. It didn't work. I didn't see this overwhelming style philosophy that would define a program. They were decent on offense, decent on defense, but with talent.

With Kruger, it was pretty strong defense, predictable offense that depended alot on outside shooting. He built with four year guys that mostly improved over the course and plugged in with transfers. When things came together, when there were many years of team experience, that's when we peaked. When that experience wasn't there, it was less.

With Menzies, I don't know what we are trying to do. I haven't seen a budding defensive philosophy where we are young with it and have the potential to get there. There's been zero emphasis on defense - we are small on the perimeter, we don't stop the dribble, we give up open shots and we have terrible weakside defense. Offensively, we scored the ball well, but we didn't do it with shooting, which is fine - it was an offense that was spread pretty well and gave players some room to operate, we did mix in inside play fairly well. We aren't the most athletic or quickest team either.

Next season, so far, we have zero outside shooting. Unless there's something there that we don't see, I don't think Coupet, Hamilton, Trey, Noah, Georgie, Hardy, Clyburn and Beck are going to be money guys from beyond 20 feet. We lost the two best shooters from a poor outside shooting team and replaced them with guys that shoot worse. Maybe they'll be ok, I don't know, just not seeing it on paper.

I'm not looking to what he did at NMSU because it doesn't look like it applies here. What is it that you guys are seeing? It seems directionless and without any sort of identity. I thought it was evident pretty early on with other coaches what they were trying to do (though, Kruger would have had me confused if he didn't have a pretty established track record from his prior stops).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News