ADVERTISEMENT

Brewer Season Prediction

Maybe this is homerism in me, but Oregon State as a guaranteed L is a joke. They lost their coaching staff, qb, rb, ol.. and that's just what I can think of readily in the time it took to type.

I think oregon state is closer to a guaranteed win than loss.
Looks like head man left but they kept DC aas new HC. Keith Heyward is their DC. Former UNLV DC. And Jamie Christian is their special teams coordinator, former UNLV rb coach and Sptms coord. Heyword is a good get. Not impressed with JC personally.

My reading of phil steele indicates that they have better coverage but worse front 7, expect that to get exploited. 4 LB starters from. 2023 are gone. No starters returning to DL. Lost top 3 WRs.

Evidently RB is a strength and the qb transfer from. Mizzou should do well.

Believe it when I see it. Seems like the staff notes in Phil Steele largely reference a previous connection to OSU. That feels like they couldn't get guys they would normally have wanted, but had to get guys who would want to be there. Obviously no idea the quality those guys will bring.

Syracuse, OSU, Houston, Utah State all have brand new coaches. Nope.
We had a brand new coach last year so that doesn't really mean a lot, more about the talent. Houston and Syracuse appear to have gotten better. But so have we. All on paper of course. But we won't go 4-0 or 0-4 across those games I would bet on that.

He has us losing @ Utah State and calls out their home field advantage as one of the reasons why... I went to the last game we played there (and won) in 2022. I wouldn't call their home field a huge advantage.. the crowd was never very loud (it wasn't like basketball at all) and while there is travel to get to Logan by no means is it hard travel.

I would bet money we win that game again this year.

Its interesting we are playing them on the road again, thought it was supposed to alternate back to Vegas.

Devils in the details here, but his main point is correct: our schedule is not easy this year, especially when you look at OOC games.

This year: Houston, Kansas, Syracuse, and Oregon State. While none of them are world beaters, they are significantly more difficult (in quantity) than what we faced last year where Michigan was the only game out of reach.

I don’t know what’s going to happen. 6-6 would feel like a bit of a let down, but back to back bowl seasons is nothing to sneeze at for our program.

Reactions: dcut03
Devils in the details here, but his main point is correct: our schedule is not easy this year, especially when you look at OOC games.

This year: Houston, Kansas, Syracuse, and Oregon State. While none of them are world beaters, they are significantly more difficult (in quantity) than what we faced last year where Michigan was the only game out of reach.

I don’t know what’s going to happen. 6-6 would feel like a bit of a let down, but back to back bowl seasons is nothing to sneeze at for our program.
I don't believe Odom has goals any lower than winning the MWC conference championship and going to the national championship playoffs. I also believe he truly sees this as obtainable. Meeting these goals would be beyond massive for the program!

Reactions: dcut03
I don't believe Odom has goals any lower than winning the MWC conference championship and going to the national championship playoffs. I also believe he truly sees this as obtainable. Meeting these goals would be beyond massive for the program!
I think these aren't unachievable goals at all. I think we at least have the horses to compete I every game this season.
But still hard to predict. I think going 6-6 is just as likely as 9-3.
Last season was great. But it was a pretty easy schedule. Didn't have great showings against the better teams. Air Force was without their QB and beat player. Boise and SJSU beat us pretty convincingly. Wyoming was probably our best win against a quality opponent. And they were a lower tier bowl level team.
Expecting to improve so much we are playoff contenders? Doable, but probably not likely.
I am suspicious of how good Boise will be. Utah State and Fresno losing coaches so close to the season has got to be tough for those teams.
Teams like Houston or Oregon State are very hard to predict. They could be kinda bad to pretty good.

Reactions: Couev and InZoneU
I think these aren't unachievable goals at all. I think we at least have the horses to compete I every game this season.
Last season was great. But it was a pretty easy schedule. Didn't have great showings against the better teams. Air Force was without their QB and beat player. Boise and SJSU beat us pretty convincingly. Wyoming was probably our best win against a quality opponent. And they were a lower tier bowl level team.
Expecting to improve so much we are playoff contenders? Doable, but probably not likely.
I am suspicious of how good Boise will be. Utah State and Fresno losing coaches so close to the season has got to be tough for those teams.
Teams like Houston or Oregon State are very hard to predict. They could be kinda bad to pretty good.
No doubt Boise won easily, but SJSU was a six point loss where the main difference was a key turnover. UNLV put themselves in a hole in the first quarter and was down 17-0 which was a problem in numerous games where UNLV offense had a slow start much of the time due to bad calls by Maiava. While he did help bring the team back, I felt like he put them in the hole in the first place. From the 2nd quarter on UNLV outscored SJSU 24-20, but only scoring 10 points in the first half ended up being too much to overcome. Watching Maiava in the last four games of the season I really felt like he took a step backwards but was lucky enough to come back verse AF. The last 3 games put UNLV in deep holes in the first half that they could come back from, so hopefully we have a QB this time around that is more consistent.

I would say highly unlikely anyway. Not having a single down game? Not one all season? Tough chore. Usually you can survive a down game by out talenting the opposition but we aren’t THAT good. If we go the same record as last year I will consider it an excellent season especially with the better competition.

Agree. For me it really all hinges on how good the new QBs are going to be. Nobody knows. It seems like most here think Sluka is going to be the next coming of Johnny Manziel when he could turn out to be Kurt Palandech 2.0. Like Brewer mentioned in his article there is a big difference between optimistic and realistic.

QB isn't the only question mark, but it's the biggest--I think most of us can agree on that. I feel like the only rooms that definitely upgraded are WR and DB. Everything else seems like the depth is going to hold from last year or we've upgraded talent in exchange for production and experience. My gut says the RB room will be better by the end of the year as we have more raw talent, but you're losing 5 of your 6 top running backs means you need to have hit big on either Allen or James, or one of the young guys (Greene/Burrell/Jones) steps up.

My gut tells me that we go 7-5 this year. Losses @ Houston, @ Kansas, @ OSU, @ SJSU or Home against FSU, and home against BSU. Which will still put us in contention for the MWC title game with a litle luck at 5 wins. Maybe if Sluka had been on campus in the spring, or the tape I've seen on Hajj was a little more impressive I'd feel more confident. I could very easily see us winning 9 with some good luck or with some injuries or bad breaks 5-7 isn't completely out of the question.

Last edited:
So they will all go 0-12 because they have new coaches?
This UNLV team is too experienced for most teams that have new HC. If any opponent step out onto the field with self doubts, it might be a long day. UNLV's schedule is tough this year but if you looks, it is very favourable schedule.

No doubt Boise won easily, but SJSU was a six point loss where the main difference was a key turnover. UNLV put themselves in a hole in the first quarter and was down 17-0 which was a problem in numerous games where UNLV offense had a slow start much of the time due to bad calls by Maiava. While he did help bring the team back, I felt like he put them in the hole in the first place. From the 2nd quarter on UNLV outscored SJSU 24-20, but only scoring 10 points in the first half ended up being too much to overcome. Watching Maiava in the last four games of the season I really felt like he took a step backwards but was lucky enough to come back verse AF. The last 3 games put UNLV in deep holes in the first half that they could come back from, so hopefully we have a QB this time around that is more consistent.
I don't know about SJSU. We were down 20 in the 4th. They started playing conservatively and allowed us to get within one score, but the final score was definitely closer than the game felt.
Maiava didn't look his best towards the end of the season, and there could have been drama. Or maybe not? Run game struggled against the better teams on early downs. It felt like our offense was somewhat figured out and that was about it. It's not like the rest of the team was killing it.

I don't know about SJSU. We were down 20 in the 4th. They started playing conservatively and allowed us to get within one score, but the final score was definitely closer than the game felt.
Maiava didn't look his best towards the end of the season, and there could have been drama. Or maybe not? Run game struggled against the better teams on early downs. It felt like our offense was somewhat figured out and that was about it. It's not like the rest of the team was killing it.
Watching the game I really felt like Maiava dug the hole for the team and every time they had a little momentum he pulled a bad play. I also felt like after the Air Force game that coach Marion and Maiava had issues with each other, which I am sure didn't help with the play calling or the motivation for Maiava. I really felt like after the SJSU game that Maiava wasn't going to stay around because of the friction between the two of them. Maybe I am wrong, but during the Kansas game I felt like the looks between the two of them could have burned a hole through anything! My son noticed the same things as me at the Kansas game, did we see it differently than other people?

How come no one talks about UNLV's 4 returning starters on the offensive line? I was at the Wyoming game and sitting up close and what struck was the size of UNLV's O-Line. Massive. Both Tiger Shanks and Jalen St. John's are on the NFL radar at 6'5" 330 lbs. I checked and UNLV's O-Line is bigger than UH's O-Line. Games are won and lost in the trenches!

Another thing, the Go-Go at it's essence is a triple option offense and Sluka is a triple option QB. Good size at 6'3", 220lbs he can run and pass. Also, when it comes to the portal Sluka was initially ranked around 20-25 as far a QB's in the portal and predicted to go P4. His rating dropped once he committed to UNLV. Typical! IMO Sluka will thrive in the Go-Go.

How come no one talks about UNLV's 4 returning starters on the offensive line? I was at the Wyoming game and sitting up close and what struck was the size of UNLV's O-Line. Massive. Both Tiger Shanks and Jalen St. John's are on the NFL radar at 6'5" 330 lbs. I checked and UNLV's O-Line is bigger than UH's O-Line. Games are won and lost in the trenches!

Another thing, the Go-Go at it's essence is a triple option offense and Sluka is a triple option QB. Good size at 6'3", 220lbs he can run and pass. Also, when it comes to the portal Sluka was initially ranked around 20-25 as far a QB's in the portal and predicted to go P4. His rating dropped once he committed to UNLV. Typical! IMO Sluka will thrive in the Go-Go.
I do think having the O line return 4 starters is huge, no pun intended. Having that kind of carryover is fantastic.

The flipside of that is that the O Line had some difficulties last season, especially towards the end of the season. The run game really struggled to do much towards the end of the season against the better teams. Pass pro probably could have been better as well.

The good news is that O lineman probably tend to improve the most with experience and getting older/stronger. But they have to get better to play the way we want, and that is with a strong run game.

Sluka will help. It adds another key for the defense in the run game. But we still need the big uglies to create holes, and every run play won't be a triple or read option. So just adding Sluka isn't enough to make our run game thrive.

Last edited:
We can go undefeated but I think we finish 7-5 and 5-2 in the MWC, and we'll play on the road at Boise and lose a close one in the MWC final.

Then win our bowl game....8-6 to finish the season.

Guaranteed Wins - Utah Tech, @Hawaii, @Utah State, and Reno.

Probably Wins - Fresno, SDSU

Guaranteed Loss - @Kansas

Probably Loss - @Houston, Boise, Syracuse, @OregonSt, @SJSU.

I think the @SJSU game is the closest game that could be a win, or @Houston. Not sold on them at all. I understand it 's crazy to say any road game for UNLV is a guaranteed win, but both Hawaii and Utah State are disaster areas. I feel very good about those 4. Of course...I'm banking on a QB coming in and being able to move the ball. That is a huge IF. I do think a system like the GoGo and a QB with experience like Sluka will be able to consistently move the ball. I think the biggest X-factor for the offensive side is de Jesus. Often overlooked (he is like 5'3") but he will create havoc on the edges and force defenses and LBers to spread, leaving gaps for 7-8 yard strikes down the field for our massive TE and Cain.....until a safety comes down to help and leaves White 1 on 1 with a helpless DB.

I can't wait to see what the defense has in store. That's what excites me the most. Can we come together as a unit and stop giving up 20+ yard chunk plays time and time again. Let's get it.

Dude, I need this season to start.

P.S. I will miss seeing everyone at the games and tailgates...especially views of Scrub in rainbow yoga pants and a pink cowboy hat. God knew what he was doing when he told me not to buy season tickets this year. The son who enjoys to go to all the games is starting college next month in Utah and I didn't want the hassle of finding people to take. Now, with my wife not able to go to games this fall I know why I didn't buy season tickets for the first time since 2009. God works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
We can go undefeated but I think we finish 7-5 and 5-2 in the MWC, and we'll play on the road at Boise and lose a close one in the MWC final.

Then win our bowl game....8-6 to finish the season.

Guaranteed Wins - Utah Tech, @Hawaii, @Utah State, and Reno.

Probably Wins - Fresno, SDSU

Guaranteed Loss - @Kansas

Probably Loss - @Houston, Boise, Syracuse, @OregonSt, @SJSU.

I think the @SJSU game is the closest game that could be a win, or @Houston. Not sold on them at all. I understand it 's crazy to say any road game for UNLV is a guaranteed win, but both Hawaii and Utah State are disaster areas. I feel very good about those 4. Of course...I'm banking on a QB coming in and being able to move the ball. That is a huge IF. I do think a system like the GoGo and a QB with experience like Sluka will be able to consistently move the ball. I think the biggest X-factor for the offensive side is de Jesus. Often overlooked (he is like 5'3") but he will create havoc on the edges and force defenses and LBers to spread, leaving gaps for 7-8 yard strikes down the field for our massive TE and Cain.....until a safety comes down to help and leaves White 1 on 1 with a helpless DB.

I can't wait to see what the defense has in store. That's what excites me the most. Can we come together as a unit and stop giving up 20+ yard chunk plays time and time again. Let's get it.

Dude, I need this season to start.

P.S. I will miss seeing everyone at the games and tailgates...especially views of Scrub in rainbow yoga pants and a pink cowboy hat. God knew what he was doing when he told me not to buy season tickets this year. The son who enjoys to go to all the games is starting college next month in Utah and I didn't want the hassle of finding people to take. Now, with my wife not able to go to games this fall I know why I didn't buy season tickets for the first time since 2009. God works in mysterious ways.
We do play Boise at home. Which you first said road, then said home lol. I agree with your toss up games winning 3 of the 7 is a fair and balanced approach. Barring significant, significant injuries, I doubt it will get much worse than that. Hawaii on the road will be tougher than it should be, but a win most likely. Hard to say what we get with SDSU, Houston, Oregon State, Utah State, or even Fresno given their weird coaching turnovers.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I said we'd play Boise on the road and lose in the MWC championship game after going 5-2 in conference, but at home during the season. At least that's what I meant.

I have us going 8 -4 ! Lets Go Rebels !!

Date
Time
Opponent
W / L
31-Aug
4:00 p.m.
L
7-Sep
12:00 p.m.
W
13-Sep
W
28-Sep
12:30 p.m.
W
4-Oct
6:00 p.m.
W
11-Oct
W
19-Oct
12:30 p.m./ 7:00 p.m.
L
25-Oct
7:30 p.m.
W
9-Nov
7:00 p.m.
W
16-Nov
L
22-Nov
W
30-Nov
5:00 p.m.
RENO
L
8-4

Losing to Reno at home? Interesting. I guess I'd be fine with 8-4 and a loss to Reno.....🤣

Date
Time
Opponent
W / L
31-Aug
L
7-Sep
W
13-Sep
W
28-Sep
W
4-Oct
W
11-Oct
W
19-Oct
L
25-Oct
W
9-Nov
W
16-Nov
L
22-Nov
W
30-Nov
RENO
L
8-4
I am willing to bet my other nut that UNLV will not lose to Reno.

Reactions: reagan21

Date
Time
Opponent
W / L
31-Aug
L
7-Sep
W
13-Sep
W
28-Sep
W
4-Oct
W
11-Oct
W
19-Oct
L
25-Oct
W
9-Nov
W
16-Nov
L
22-Nov
W
30-Nov
RENO
L
8-4
Knight Rebel, Could you give your rationale on projecting a loss to Reno? TIA

unr is going to struggle this next season and most likely will be a 2-3 touchdown dog to UNLV. UNLV won 45-27 last season in Reno with the score 45-20 with only a couple of minutes to go when unr scored against the UNLV bench. I do not see any way that UNR gets better than last season, and I believe UNLV should be at least a TD better across the board.

I think it is fair to assume Reno improves from last season. They had a lot of offseason issues close to the season if I remember correctly. They were also a special kind of suck. And they did improve some as the season went on. They looked like they were going to go o-fer, but squeaked out some wins the second half of the season.

Still should be a win, especially at home.

Last edited:
6-6 should not be a thing with Odom as HC. The schedule is definitely harder but there are significant upgrades on the roster, both on paper and in real life. No one here should be happy with 6-6 and making a bowl game off the strength of our program being historically bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT