ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon McCoy

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Our next 5-Star recruit?

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/jan/13/rebels-dream-recruit-would-be-a-game-changer/

thumbs_hm_graphic_fallawayjumper.jpg

Go Rebels!

The LVSun article gives good insight on Menzies past teams and his pattern to run his offense through the post which would clearly benefit a player with a traditional low post skill set like Brandon McCoy. Also, it appears to be a subtle recruiting piece and assist by the LV Sun because it really high lights why UNLV would be a the right fit for McCoy and I would think McCoy and his family have read it.

In googling Shaun Manning, I can't quite make out if he's a really good guy, or perhaps a pretty bad one.

On the one hand, he claims to mentor kids, in basketball and in life. He teaches them fundamentals of the game, and he also provides a home for many of them. On the other hand, there have been others, like him, who use their contact with budding stars, to cash in. There are rumors of him "selling" players to schools or agents. As a parent, I'd have some concerns about handing my kid over to a man who's known as "Ice".

He played an early role in the development of, what turned out to be the rather sad story of Jeremy Tyler. A San Diego phenom, who skipped his senior year of high school to go to Israel and play there, in preparation to becoming a top pick in the 2011 NBA draft. It's all gone badly for him, and he's currently playing in China. You can read a NY Times piece about Jeremy from 2009 by clicking the link.

One hopes that Manning's motives are pure, and he influences this particular kid to become a Runnin' Rebel. If he does, he will definitely receive good instruction from Marvin Menzies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html

basketball-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
In googling Shaun Manning, I can't quite make out if he's a really good guy, or perhaps a pretty bad one.

On the one hand, he claims to mentor kids, in basketball and in life. He teaches them fundamentals of the game, and he also provides a home for many of them. On the other hand, there have been others, like him, who use their contact with budding stars, to cash in. There are rumors of him "selling" players to schools or agents. As a parent, I'd have some concerns about handing my kid over to a man who's known as "Ice".

He played an early role in the development of, what turned out to be the rather sad story of Jeremy Tyler. A San Diego phenom, who skipped his senior year of high school to go to Israel and play there, in preparation to becoming a top pick in the 2011 NBA draft. It's all gone badly for him, and he's currently playing in China. You can read a NY Times piece about Jeremy from 2009 by clicking the link.

One hopes that Manning's motives are pure, and he influences this particular kid to become a Runnin' Rebel. If he does, he will definitely receive good instruction from Marvin Menzies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html

basketball-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

I didn't read the NY Times article. But the media can have an agenda and I remember the Tyler decesion to leave high school and it was my recollection Manning was against it. Sports Illustrated on Deandre Ayton (no. 1 player class 2017) who Manning also helped develop mentions Tyler and Manning:

"Among those impressed was an assistant coach for a professional team in Mexico. He put Ayton’s family in touch with his boss, Reggie Jordan, a former NBA player. Jordan referred the family to an AAU coach he knew in southern California named Shaun “Ice” Manning, who several years ago earned some notoriety in basketball circles when he mentored a young Jeremy Tyler, the 6’10” center from San Diego who, against Manning’s wishes, skipped his junior year of high school to play professionally in Israel."

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Just one other point. Regardless of what printed in the news paper or on twitter, if Manning is in fact involved or the guardian of McCoy he did a great job on high school selection on the academic side because San Diego Cathedral Catholic is a really good high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT