ADVERTISEMENT

Black Friday

TomKingsley

Conference POY
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2008
Las Vegas!
The situation hopefully bottoms out today and it's a long slow climb back to relevance. What are all you season-ticket holders going to do at this point? If I bail on my tickets because there will be plenty of cheap ones at the door next season (and the next?) - I am bailing on my school. If I steadfastly renew - I support an extremely flawed administration. The emotional roller coaster of being a Runnin' Rebel basketball is not good on my health. The past 3 seasons have been filled with bad basketball, selfish pie-in-the-sky players, a completely ineffective coach/leader, and a badly over rmatched AD. It has been a grinding I would rather be raking my eyes out with pitchforks 3 seasons and at this point I am maxed out emotionally.

Go Rebels!

you cant be maxed out yet! there is soooooooooooooo much more to come!

beard was a bad hire. there was no way he wasnt going to leave when texas tech came calling. im sure no one thought that it would only take 6 days, but still, when you are talking about rebuilding a program, you dont hire a guy whose dream job is somewhere else. yeah, he called unlv his dream job, but next week in lubbock he will be saying the same thing about tech. whatever, moot point.

the bigger picture is that unlv is becoming the comcast of college basketball. making poor decisions and raising prices knowing youll pay because they are the only option. so what do you do? ill tell you what i would do. skip buying the cheaper tickets at the door, and buy them from a scalper in the parking lot. blast a couple of 40's of 800 before the tip. walk to your seats printed on the ticket and then move to seats closer to where the cheerleaders are at cause there are like 200 people at the game. spend the game mostly flirting with the cheerleaders. man, the spoonhour years were a good time.

you didnt bail on the program. the program bailed on you. make the most of your game days.

Black Saturday?......of all the scenarios that could have played out - the absolute less popular one did. Time to upgrade my Football Tickets. Of course the NHL is coming.....:)

Last edited:
Black Saturday?......of all the scenarios that could have played out - the absolute less popular one did. Time to upgrade my Football Tickets

Letting Cliff Flindley hire Marvin Menzies would qualify as Black Saturday.

It's unbelievable that Tina is being allowed to make this hire and once again she's being railroaded by a rich auto dealer booster accountable to nobody.

If Menzies happens I won't step foot in that building again.

Reactions: rebsrback
DIRECTV_Commercial_2015_The_Settlers-300x250.jpg

I am not really a UNLV but remember the glory days of Tark the Shark. I feel badly for you guys with MM at the helm. MM is a great interview and listening to him one would think that he is the real deal However,he does not know shinola about coaching a basketball team.He is a great recruiter but a horrible coach. You guys got screwed.If your AD is a woman then MM charmed the hell out of her.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I am not really a UNLV but remember the glory days of Tark the Shark. I feel badly for you guys with MM at the helm. MM is a great interview and listening to him one would think that he is the real deal However,he does not know shinola about coaching a basketball team.He is a great recruiter but a horrible coach. You guys got screwed.If your AD is a woman then MM charmed the hell out of her.
This

If Menzies happens I won't step foot in that building again.

I have little doubt that this will earn me the animus of one and all at Rebel-Net, but here goes…

Marvin Menzies is not my first, second or fifteenth choice to be the next head coach. I’ve said from the start that I could be on board for a “big name” hire like Pitino or Dixon or even Karl. If not someone like that, then it should be Stacey Augmon. But I’m well-aware that it’s not going to happen as long as the current AD is in charge. Some will disagree…I don’t care...Let’s move on.

I don’t believe that Menzies deserves all of the vitriol that’s been heaped on him here, and through social media. He’s just a guy who’s been offered a job. Stepping into the s**t-storm that’s been created by the AD & BOR is going to make certain that he’ll earn whatever they’re paying him, not to mention that he’ll be asked to build a team from scratch.

So now it appears that Menzies is about to get the job, despite the protestations of the fans. When the official announcement is made, I’m going to allow myself five minutes to be frustrated over the way things have worked out. And then I’m going to remind myself that I’m still a proud Rebel, and if Marvin Menzies is the Rebels head coach, then I will become a Marvin Menzies fan. He’s my coach. And I hope he overcomes all of the hurdles in his path and succeeds.

So you guys can howl and moan. You can send emails and stage protests. You can demand to be heard by the regents, and you can cancel your tickets to the T&M. It ain’t gonna change a thing. Menzies will still be the Rebels coach, and I’m a Rebel…Go Rebels! ergo Go Menzies!

Good for you TarkisGod. If Marvin is named head coach, he immediately is a member of the rebel family. He is going to need everyone's support if is going to have a chance in hell of fielding a team next season, let alone a competitive team.

Menzies is not exciting and was probably no one's (except maybe Findlay's) top choice. However, I agree with TarkIsGod that everyone is substantially over-reacting. Be mad all you want... Even boycott the games if you want and do not spend money. But as a fan of a team, at-least allow yourself a little (potentially irrational) hope.

Last 3 seasons of Kenpom:

2016:

UNLV – 134

NMST – 107

2015:

UNLV --- 100

NMST – 92

2014:

UNLV --- 91

New Mexico St --- 71

I understand that his record is terrible against better schools is a reason for concern... But I am not ready to write off a coach over a small(-ish) sample size coaching a school like NMST.... I am willing to see what he can do at UNLV where he should be able to bring in better players than he had at NMST.

That's weird, so you're telling me when compared to Dave Rice, he did more with less over the last 3 years? I counted 0-13 vrs the p5 schools..

DUKE #10 Kenpom
Texas #9 Kenpom
West Virginina #22 Kenpom
Louisville #6 Kenpom
USC #24 Kenpom
Kansas #10 kenpom
UCLA #120 Kenpom
Arizona #23 kenpom
Arizona #52 kenpom
Oregon St #94 Kenpom
Arizona #2 Kenpom
Baylor #17 Kenpom
Baylor #28 Kenpom

So he's winning the games he's supposed to and losing the games where he's a substantial underdog? How terrible.

It's so hard to be positive about Marvin Menzies head coaching resume that you've got to compare him to Dave Rice's last few seasons to make this appealing. Awesome.

Reactions: ThailandReb
I certainly respect your loyalty to the program. I really do. However, the only way we as stakeholders ensure that the majority voice is heard and understood is through speaking with our dollars. Just like any other business. If you owned a business and 95% of your customers expressed extreme disagreement with an upcoming potential change to a product/service, any reasonable business owner would listen and act accordingly.

Sounds like you're talking about Dave Rice 2.0.... Can't believe the insanity of the administration and booster imposters.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Its disgusting what is happening to this University. We have a long history of leaders of UNLV keeping us down. We do nothing! We tell ourselves we are Rebel fans and we'll support who ever they shove down our throats, but im tired of it! Jessup is an Arizona guy and Tina is shady liar. They both need to be fired. Im done with UNLV until they fire Tina and anyone else that was apart of this shit storm. My season tickets will not be renewed and I hope im not the only one that takes a stand. We deserve better than this and if we unite we can get rid of the destroyers if our program!!! We deserve better than Jessup, Tina and Menzies.

Menzies is not exciting and was probably no one's (except maybe Findlay's) top choice. However, I agree with TarkIsGod that everyone is substantially over-reacting. Be mad all you want... Even boycott the games if you want and do not spend money. But as a fan of a team, at-least allow yourself a little (potentially irrational) hope.

Last 3 seasons of Kenpom:

2016:

UNLV – 134

NMST – 107

2015:

UNLV --- 100

NMST – 92

2014:

UNLV --- 91

New Mexico St --- 71

I understand that his record is terrible against better schools is a reason for concern... But I am not ready to write off a coach over a small(-ish) sample size coaching a school like NMST.... I am willing to see what he can do at UNLV where he should be able to bring in better players than he had at NMST.

Nice speech, but next time probably better not to use a stat that shows he also got worse the last three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT