ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger than the game tonight, a booster roundtable in the works for tonight...

rebelx

qwerty
May 29, 2001
The deep recesses of my mind
twitter.com
I reached out to a friend in the know, and got more than I expected. I guess something big, with the boosters, may be happening tonight.

I'm not sure if it's before the game, during the game, after the game, or what.....BUT, apparently a group of boosters (names that have been around) are working on a sit down with other prominent boosters to try and get everybody on a similar page, to discuss candidates, and to discuss what they'd all be willing to chip in to get the candidate.

Some of you had a pretty good pulse on things, because this is a preliminary list of coaches that this group is interested in looking further at:

• Archie Miller (Dayton)
  • Chris Mack (Xavier)
  • Thunder Dan Majerle (Grand Canyon)
  • Mike Dunleavy (retired)
  • Mike Brown (unemployed)
  • Steve Lavin (Pac 12 Network)
  • Kelvin Sampson (Houston)
  • ...and yes, Doug Gottlieb (CBS Sports)
There's also some other names that they're looking at, but this is the firmest list my friend could come up with. No Dave Rose, but some of boosters have connections to both UNLV and BYU that may open up that line of communication at some point.

Also, many people know this already (if you didn't, you do now), but Mendenhall, Paulos, Whortman, Leavitt Insurance guys (Rod and Wade Leavitt), and there's a few others (see those that donated to the Mendenhall center), are pretty tight-knit group of boosters. Word has it, at least one of these guys really likes Gottlieb. Although, there's concern about paying out for another inexperienced guy....but they do feel he'd have presence, and the coaching gene runs in his family.

Dan Majerle is a guy that this group really likes too, and are definitely intrigued to see if Colangelo's influence/money could be packaged with Thunder Dan, or if Colangelo's interest would stay with Grand Canyon if Majerle moves on....Regardless, it is known that Colangelo likes Majerle, it's just unknown the two's dedication to the Grand Canyon project. Feelers are going out.

From what this friend said, Cliff Findlay does like Mike Brown, but that he doesn't get the feeling that Cliff is all in with Brown, but just would like to explore the option. He also said that Cliff is vocal and out there at times, but he's a guy that wants what is best for UNLV, he's not unreasonable, and certainly won't push Brown if there's no interest from others.

Finally, he said that the UNLV job does indeed have a lot of interest, and apparently the prominent boosters, and athletic department are getting a lot calls, and/or feelers being put out in our direction. A few boosters are putting out their own feelers through their contacts.

Finally, finally, We have some very, very wealthy booster/donors that are graduates of other schools. People who donate to our athletic department, lesser known booster names, that may be looking at guys from their alma mater, or looking for direction from those people at their alma mater.

So, that's what I got. Some of that was me filling in details, but I'm confident it's fairly accurate. All the God fearing folk, let's pray that the boosters can get on the same page, and it happens today/tonight when they meet. If anybody else is hearing the same, or has more info about this, please share.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News