ADVERTISEMENT

Big Name Coaches $$$

You just have to wonder if the top programs are going to risk a big, long term hire on Deion, given his short history of coaching. A school like Colorado? Sure. But no way a school like UCLA, Florida, etc, would risk a long term deal on a high risk candidate like him IMO.

I wouldn't undersell CU. They are down now but have been top 25 in the last 5 or 6 years I believe. They have money. Tough job, but capable of a bounce back.

No they don’t have money! If they had money they would have hired someone good by now and they would have been much more competitive with the Tucker offer, they weren’t! CU has more money than MWC schools but they aren‘t loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
No they don’t have money! If they had money they would have hired someone good by now and they would have been much more competitive with the Tucker offer, they weren’t! CU has more money than MWC schools but they aren‘t loaded!

Yes they do have money. Their athletic budget is nearly double that of UNLV. CU is at 89 million. UNLV around 47 million. That not pocket change, it is a substantial difference regardless of the number of exclamation points you use.

Lots of schools with big athletic budgets miss on coaching hires. Nebraska missed, U of A missed. ASU missed. It happens. Florida missed a few times.

CU is also an older University than UNLV therefore they likely have more potential for booster support.

Again it's a P5 job. That alone makes it more attractive than almost any G5 job.

Every time we fire a coach we go through the same contortions trying to figure out what name coach we will hire. Two weeks, or more, later we end up with a coach only 10% of us have ever heard of. I'm totally prepared for an FCS coach or an unproven assistant who we will grossly overpay.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

You don't fire Arroyo unless you feel confident you can make a splash (by UNLV standards) hire.

So I think you may be right.

Which means we are both absolutely wrong and will be disappointed in the next few weeks. 🙂
"You don't fire Arroyo unless you feel confident you can make a splash (by UNLV standards) hire."

Not convinced of this - at all.

• Sad
Yes they do have money. Their athletic budget is nearly double that of UNLV. CU is at 89 million. UNLV around 47 million. That not pocket change, it is a substantial difference regardless of the number of exclamation points you use.

Lots of schools with big athletic budgets miss on coaching hires. Nebraska missed, U of A missed. ASU missed. It happens. Florida missed a few times.

CU is also an older University than UNLV therefore they likely have more potential for booster support.

Again it's a P5 job. That alone makes it more attractive than almost any G5 job.
None of the money you talk about has been used to hire it retain a HC at CU football. It does not work that way in Boulder! And there’s an exclamation point for your thought on CU’s budget. Anyone can look up numbers on the internet but if money was there why is the best they have come up with is Mel Tucker? They may use the money to lure Prime but it will be the first time in memory CU has paid top dollar for a football coach, look that up!

"You don't fire Arroyo unless you feel confident you can make a splash (by UNLV standards) hire."

Not convinced of this - at all.

Then why do it?

I'm not saying they can or will make a better choice but if there aren't resources there I don't see the point in firing him after year three to go out and makie another uninspiring hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckfitz
None of the money you talk about has been used to hire it retain a HC at CU football. It does not work that way in Boulder! And there’s an exclamation point for your thought on CU’s budget. Anyone can look up numbers on the internet but if money was there why is the best they have come up with is Mel Tucker? They may use the money to lure Prime but it will be the first time in memory CU has paid top dollar for a football coach, look that up!

I didn't make that argument.

I said they have more money at their disposal than UNLV and most other G5 schools.

How they choose to spend it is a different discussion.

If CU decides enough is enough and opens the purse strings there is little UNLV could do about it if it became a bidding war. Because they haven't in the past doesn't mean they won't.

Anybody can use exclamation points it doesn't make the argument any better.

Again Mel Tucker is irrelevant.

If you are going based on history Arroyo was the first time UNLV opened the purse strings up. It didn't work out.

Again CU has more money. Double what UNLV has.

Will they outbidcsomebody likevUNLV force new coach? I don't know. Can they outbid UNLV? Absolutely.

They paid 3.6 million (500k base) last time out. Double Arroyo.

Can UNLV get to 3.6 million?

Their assistant coaching budget was close to 3 million.

Care to continue debating whether or not CU has more money at their disposal than UNLV?

Barring unforeseen and unprecedented booster support UNLV cannot touch those numbers..

Last edited:
I didn't make that argument.

I said they have more money at their disposal than UNLV and most other G5 schools.

How they choose to spend it is a different discussion.

If CU decides enough is enough and opens the purse strings there is little UNLV could do about it if it became a bidding war. Because they haven't in the past doesn't mean they won't.

Anybody can use exclamation points it doesn't make the argument any better.

Again Mel Tucker is irrelevant.

If you are going based on history Arroyo was the first time UNLV opened the purse strings up. It didn't work out.

Again CU has more money. Double what UNLV has.

Will they outbidcsomebody likevUNLV force new coach? I don't know. Can they outbid UNLV? Absolutely.

They paid 3.6 million last time out. Double Arroyo.

Can UNLV get to 3.6 million?
Mel Tucker is not irrelevant, he is the example of CU not opening the purse strings to keep a coach who was worth retaining, instead they let him go! And anyone can say something is irrelevant if it does not bolster their point of view, see what I did there!

Mel Tucker is not irrelevant, he is the example of CU not opening the purse strings to keep a coach who was worth retaining, instead they let him go! And anyone can say something is irrelevant if it does not bolster their point of view, see what I did there!

He is irrelevant because the topic is money and how much they have to spend vs UNLV.

They paid their last HC 2x what UNLV paid Arroyo.

They paid their assistants around 3 million.

Again, barring unprecedented and unforeseen booster money UNLV cannot sniff that.

If it's a bidding war CU has more money than most G5 schools at their disposal. The quality of their hires is a different discussion.

Your contention was they don't have money, which they obviously do when compared to UNLV.

If both they and UNLV wanted Sanders and money is the motivator, UNLV would most likely lose out on a bidding war.

He is irrelevant because the topic is money and how much they have to spend vs UNLV.

They paid their last HC 2x what UNLV paid Arroyo.

They paid their assistants around 3 million.

Again, barring unprecedented and unforeseen booster money UNLV cannot sniff that.

If it's a bidding war CU has more money than most G5 schools at their disposal. The quality of their hires is a different discussion.

Your contention was they don't have money, which they obviously do when compared to UNLV.

If both they and UNLV wanted Sanders and money is the motivator, UNLV would most likely lose out on a bidding war.
I said CU does not pay for coaches, that’s what I said! Now if they hire Prime good for the Buffs but it will be the first time they paid for a coach in recent memory. My point has been made. Now if you want to continue telling us all why Arroyo should’ve been retained after an abysmal season, you can do that, your good at making ridiculous claims about your fired boy Marcus!

Then why do it?

I'm not saying they can or will make a better choice but if there aren't resources there I don't see the point in firing him after year three to go out and making another uninspiring hire.
There are probably dozens of reasons. Here are a couple that I can think of.

1. Overconfidence.
2. Wanting to make a personal stamp on the program.
3. Timing - can't wait for Arroyo while P5 is a possibility.
4. Don't like Arroyo.
5. Something going on inside the program we are unaware of.
6. Multiple staff complaints.

I said CU does not pay for coaches, that’s what I said! Now if they hire Prime good for the Buffs but it will be the first time they paid for a coach in recent memory. My point has been made. Now if you want to continue telling us all why Arroyo should’ve been retained after an abysmal season, you can do that, your good at making ridiculous claims about your fired boy Marcus!

They are paying more than three other Pac 12 schools including what UW paid DeBoer.

Are they Alabama? Obviously not but they pay right around the middle of the pack in college football.

That they don't break the bank doesn't matter. They pay enough to get solid coaching. Using the example of DeBoer doing pretty well at UW making less money than their recently fired coach.

They just couldn't go toe to toe with Michigan State.

Which most would view as a better job with more potential to win anyway.

They actually paid the next coach more than Tucker. Which turned out to be a mistake.

There are probably dozens of reasons. Here are a couple that I can think of.

1. Overconfidence.
2. Wanting to make a personal stamp on the program.
3. Timing - can't wait for Arroyo while P5 is a possibility.
4. Don't like Arroyo.
5. Something going on inside the program we are unaware of.
6. Multiple staff complaints.

All those are fair, and I don't disagree.

Without knowing if any or all of those are true hard to say.

Purely from outside looking in, you have to hope Harper can pull some serious strings or has something in place beyond a handshake deal.

They are paying more than three other Pac 12 schools including what UW paid DeBoer.

Are they Alabama? Obviously not but they pay right around the middle of the pack in college football.

That they don't break the bank doesn't matter. They pay enough to get solid coaching. Using the example of DeBoer doing pretty well at UW mak UK ng less money.

They turned around and paid the next guy more than Tucker.

They just couldn't go toe to toe with Michigan State.

Which most would view as a better job with more potential to win anyway.
Lol!
Solid coaching, the record says otherwise.
They are in the bottom 10 like us?

They don’t pay for top coaches, they go cheap with all that money you speak of.
Mel left after laughing at CU’s attempt at a counteroffer!

CU has got a bad case of UNLV disease when it comes to hiring coaches, Mel was the only decent hire they made since Coach McCartney was there!

Lol!
Solid coaching, the record says otherwise.
They are in the bottom 10 like us?

They don’t pay for top coaches, they go cheap with all that money you speak of.
Mel left after laughing at CU’s attempt at a counteroffer!

CU has got a bad case of UNLV disease when it comes to hiring coaches, Mel was the only decent hire they made since Coach McCartney was there!

Mel Tucker went 5-7 there.

Again decent hires are a different discussion.

Mel Tucker's stint at Michigan State is nothing to write home about besides year two.

They went 2-5 ( Covid year) 11 wins and back down to 5-7 this year.

If he hovers around .500 next year was CU wrong not to extend him?

Like I said they have money, choosing to spend it or spend it wisely is a different story.

Spending big money for a coach is not always a recipe for success. Ask Kansas how they felt about spending big to get Charlie Weiss as an example.

Hell UNLV just made Arroyo the highest paid coach in its history and it blew up in their face.

I didn't say they've had solid coaching. I said they've paid well enough to get solid coaches vs other schools who paid less with better results.

Mel‘s record at Michigan State is not my point!? And another thing CU ain’t Michigan State, big difference between P12 and B10! Every Buffs fan and the local media here knew Mel was on to something when he inherited Big Sky players from McIntire and we’re pissed CU played it tight with the counteroffer to retain him. You think they paid top dollar for Hawkins, Embree, McIntyre and Dorrell, lol, keep spinning crap bull!

Mel‘s record at Michigan State is not my point!? And another thing CU ain’t Michigan State, every Buffs fan and the local media here knew Mel was on to something here and was pissed CU played it tight with the offer to retain him. You think they paid top dollar Hawkins, Embree, McIntyre and Dorrell, lol, keep spinning crap bull!

I didn't say they did. I say they have the budget. Again willingness to spend and spending are different. Spending (or not spending) and subsequent results are a different discussion.

I just said Michigan State is a better job.

CU have money. A lot more than UNLV. Their willingness to spend is another story. They could have spent less and potentially got a guy like DeBoer.

They also paid the coach after Tucker more.

Tucker was on to something? He went 5-7 the exact same record previous coach had three straight years.

I just want the Rebels to do it right this time. Get a former HC in here like Herman, Patterson, Sanders, Ed O, Petrino or even Jim freaking Leavitt for crying out loud but stay away from the Arroyo’s of the world!

I agree. They need to get it right.

I think we were conflating two or three different discussions earlier.

Most of my point about CU having money was in relation to UNLV. There is a chance UNLV and CU may interview or be interested in the same candidates. In that event UNLV can't compete barring miracle booster money.

CU and their willingness to spend money is different. Them not spending money last time was double what Arroyo was paid. That shows how far behind UNLV and majority of G5 are vs P5.

As for UNLV and their search, a lot if high profile names are going to be thrown out there. Harper backed himself into a corner a bit by saying he wanted somebody with HC experience.

To get a quality guy like that a number of things have to happen.

UNLV will potentially have to spend even more than they ever have.

Hope they aren't in a bidding war with a P5 school or somebody like Cincy.

Vegas may not be right fit for coach and family.

They may have to go after a guy like a Robinson embarking on his farewell tour.

That's why I would say they may fall short and be forced to look at a guy like Alex Grinch the DC at USC. Possibly the Sacramento State HC.

Love it if they could snag a Tom Herman or Ed Orgeron or a Gary Patterson, but a lot will have to line up right to possibly get them.

• Sad
You don't fire Arroyo unless you feel confident you can make a splash (by UNLV standards) hire.

So I think you may be right.

Which means we are both absolutely wrong and will be disappointed in the next few weeks. 🙂
Exactly…you don’t fire Dave Rice mid season unless you are sure you can make a splash hire like Marvin Menzies.

I know this with pretty good authority. Sanders is Not GOING TO unlv. Coaches attach their names to positions knowing 100% for sure they will never take that job, but they put their name in the hat anyways. If you see Sanders name attached to UNLV - know this is the case. its strictly business and political. He is already taken -its just not final nor public. So negotiating -thats when they throw in competitiors to get the right terms ...with Sanders its not about $$ its about terms - UNLV would never come near his terms.

he would never entertain UNLV anyways

Chucky would be as good as it gets for UNLV.. Gruden is my pick for the reason why they canned Arroyo

Last edited:
  • Sad
NEON DEON - UNLV would never hire someone bigger than the UNIVERISTY for instance Neon Deon is more famous than UNLV - UNLV is basically a state run institution that is controlled by politicians - thats just the thing - control - Deon is too dangerous - just like Tark was - sounds cool - flash and glitz combined with more flash and glitz and glamour- too bad it will never never never happen

• Sad
Same Reason UNLV never hired George Karl - too dangerous- its not about winning - not if it comes with RISK to the establishment.. CHicken Shit U -

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT