ADVERTISEMENT

Besides losing, what sucks is

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
UNLV had the look of a mediocre D1 team before yesterday. Even in the losses, in which they were underdogs, they battled hard. Didn’t always play well, but they looked the part of a team that was going to battle and they looked like a legitimate D1 team.

When I think back to the worst Rebel teams, you know, the winless or 2 win seasons, the teams that would get blasted 55-7 vs very mediocre to poor Big West and PCAA teams let alone the good teams, they looked thoroughly outclassed and unprepared in every facet of the game - we just didn’t look like we belonged in D1. Until last night, we didn’t see that this year. Some of last year, we didn’t see it. I was hoping we were past that point. Last night was shameful. We made UNM look like Alabama.

There really is no excuse for it this far into Sanchez’ tenure. It was appalling, it was embarrassing. We can have hiccups at this point, but not to that magnitude. This wasn’t simply a game of “UNM played the game of their lives, UNLV had the worst game they could have, UNM got all the breaks”... this was UNM being far, far, far better than UNLV.

That can’t happen. Not at this point.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
I really believed that this year would finally be the breakout year even after the complete collapse of UNLV verse Air Force, byu, and unr, but had already decided to only by individual game tickets because my kids complained about how the team really wasn't very good and just never wanted to go to the games. the first few games of this season looked like the team had shown some real improvement, but the Arkansas State game showed my that was just an illusion. While some on here think Arkansas State was a good team, that game showed me UNLV has totally turned into a one trick pony that completely lacks any type of passing game. The New Mexico game has shown me that we do not have any type of offensive scheme, and instead have an offense that totally depends on the athletic ability of the QB to run, and with him out of the game, we had no offense.

I have no clue what will happen the rest of the season, but it is starting to look like the athletic director will need to make an important decision regarding the future of UNLV football. I am slow to see the light, and need to be hit on top of the head a few times, but it appears that Sanchez is not able to keep up with the rest of the teams in regards to adjustments as the season moves forward, and instead the team just continues to play at the same level through the season as other teams continue to improve. Will the athletic director pull the plug and hire a new coach, I have no clue? Will people show up to the games the rest of the season? I expect they will have crowds of around 5-10K per game.

I was watching Utah St. vs BYU and I was telling myself. How can Utah State have a better program than UNLV. So sad!

I really believed that this year would finally be the breakout year even after the complete collapse of UNLV verse Air Force, byu, and unr, but had already decided to only by individual game tickets because my kids complained about how the team really wasn't very good and just never wanted to go to the games. the first few games of this season looked like the team had shown some real improvement, but the Arkansas State game showed my that was just an illusion. While some on here think Arkansas State was a good team, that game showed me UNLV has totally turned into a one trick pony that completely lacks any type of passing game. The New Mexico game has shown me that we do not have any type of offensive scheme, and instead have an offense that totally depends on the athletic ability of the QB to run, and with him out of the game, we had no offense.

I have no clue what will happen the rest of the season, but it is starting to look like the athletic director will need to make an important decision regarding the future of UNLV football. I am slow to see the light, and need to be hit on top of the head a few times, but it appears that Sanchez is not able to keep up with the rest of the teams in regards to adjustments as the season moves forward, and instead the team just continues to play at the same level through the season as other teams continue to improve. Will the athletic director pull the plug and hire a new coach, I have no clue? Will people show up to the games the rest of the season? I expect they will have crowds of around 5-10K per game.
I think Arkansas State was a good enough team, a formidable foe on the road. I think there was a reason Arkansas State was -8 in that game. I don’t think they are world beaters, but a good test. The weather did have an impact but it’s not like we were passing well before that game anyway.

I agree, we will finish year four, decisions have to be made. In the event of failure, I can see the Station Brothers making a large donation; whether that flies or not, I do not know. Like in hoops, this wasn’t her hire and AD’s are defined by money raising, hires and fires. So they aren’t now looking to sit idly by, they need to make moves.

As for the fans, I’ve been somewhat surprised, but they didn’t buy in at all with the football team, so even though I suspect a dip, how many fewer can actually show up? Season tickets are already purchased. Again, similarly to hoops, the amount of purchased vs actual will have a large gap.

I don’t know that the next 8-10 months are critical... I mean, things may be too far gone. But opportunities will arise, how much can actually be done? With no cash, you’d have to fluke into something good. Unless she’s really strong with raising money... I don’t know one way or the other. Tight lipped.

I don't think the program can afford to fire Sanchez. The reality is that he has to make to staff adjustment to develop the passing game.
The talent is there to be an excellent team through the air. The style of feast or famine spread option attack will alway be limited if the program is recruiting pocket passers as backups.
Pick your system and recruit towards players that can execute that style of play.

I don't think the program can afford to fire Sanchez. The reality is that he has to make to staff adjustment to develop the passing game.
The talent is there to be an excellent team through the air. The style of feast or famine spread option attack will alway be limited if the program is recruiting pocket passers as backups.
Pick your system and recruit towards players that can execute that style of play.
If you don’t have the cash, if you don’t have a concrete plan, if you don’t have a capable replacement, firing isn’t usually the best solution. It’s back steps. Can be disaster.

The school is broke and a lot of what’s been given to UNLV is what got Sanchez the job in the first place.

So no, I don’t think that UNLV is in the best place to go that route anyway. Personally, even without that, I still think they should ride this out longer anyway. In spite of some of the really, really bad football we’ve seen at times.

Reactions: willlevi
If you don’t have the cash, if you don’t have a concrete plan, if you don’t have a capable replacement, firing isn’t usually the best solution. It’s back steps. Can be disaster.

The school is broke and a lot of what’s been given to UNLV is what got Sanchez the job in the first place.

So no, I don’t think that UNLV is in the best place to go that route anyway. Personally, even without that, I still think they should ride this out longer anyway. In spite of some of the really, really bad football we’ve seen at times.

Yeah. Firing Chez, then hiring some schmuck for 1/3 of what Colo St. pays their coach (2.2M if you are wondering), is just continuing to perpetrate the fraud. The associate VP level (and above) admins at UNLV know that they can get some of the fanbase back by dangling the false hope of a new coach and “rebuilding”.

But this time the new coach will get it right cause... shakes magic 8 ball... he has local ties and he’s willing to work at a discount. Aren’t we so lucky.

Reactions: j. spilotro

Yeah. Firing Chez, then hiring some schmuck for 1/3 of what Colo St. pays their coach (2.2M if you are wondering), is just continuing to perpetrate the fraud. The associate VP level (and above) admins at UNLV know that they can get some of the fanbase back by dangling the false hope of a new coach and “rebuilding”.

But this time the new coach will get it right cause... shakes magic 8 ball... he has local ties and he’s willing to work at a discount. Aren’t we so lucky.

I think we need to roll with Sanchez at least two more years past this. Nothing rises in a straight line. He has built some depth and a fantastic rushing attack. Now he’s got the new football facility and stadium to recruit to. Unless we are going to dramatically increase the salary pool for head and assistant coaches, who else could we get that is as passionate about Vegas and would stay here forever like Sanchez? He needs to work out here.

Yesterday was really bad. It was my first game in 2 years and was a sad reminder why I don’t go to games anymore even though I have season tickets that go unused. We’ve honestly tried every approach and it’s Groundhog Day. Made me honestly contemplate UNLV’s future as a school that even sponsors football.

I honestly don't think UNLV football will get better until the money is there to hire a good coaching staff that has a history of winning in college football. Not a glorified high school coach who had the advantage of recruiting over other high schools because he was at a private school. He is on an somewhat even field now and it shows. He blamed the players for this recent loss saying they need to do a gut check. Less than two weeks ago he was gloating about how he changed the culture of the team after beating a couple teams they should have blown out anyways. The fan base is pathetic, look how empty Sam Boyd is during games. Can you imagine how the players are going to feel once they are in the new stadium, which is two times the size and hardly anyone there. It's going to look like ant city if the people are spread out throughout the stadium.

I noticed that OU fired their D Coordinator Mike Stoops after giving up 48 points on Saturday to Texas and promoted former UNLV coach Ruffin McNeill. Im not saying Sanchez should fire anyone, or maybe he should but after a game like that you'd think he would make some changes to send a message.

Boys. This is what we have. No budget. No coach. No team. No hope at this pioint. We are still in the crapper. Sorry Tony. You are not it. Go A& M.

Listening to ESPN today, a starting Bowen costs OSU $100000. Louisville got him and lost their coach. I suppose we are lucky that our players don't cost that much. NCAA will flush this outrage down the toilet bowl but the FBI has at least opened up the caricature that recruiting has become.

We may end up repurposing the Fertitta Football complex for the next sport (Soccer?) when football gets the boot. What is Raider stadium going to look like with an attendance of 4,000?

We may end up repurposing the Fertitta Football complex for the next sport (Soccer?) when football gets the boot. What is Raider stadium going to look like with an attendance of 4,000?

The hardest sell on UNLV at Raiders Stadium is convincing the casual fans to take a shuttle from remote parking sites to the game and back.
Once that came into play Sam Boyd sounded like a far better option

The hardest sell on UNLV at Raiders Stadium is convincing the casual fans to take a shuttle from remote parking sites to the game and back.
Once that came into play Sam Boyd sounded like a far better option
It won't be a problem for more than one season. An answer on that is in the works.

Anyone watch The Reb Zone? I just didn't have the stomach. What did CTS have to say about this past weekend?

Think we need a new QB coach to start. Appears O'dell is not able to get ANY of our qbs to a decent level since he's been here.

Reactions: willlevi
I watched it. It was a better effort than the game.

The host asked if there were any positives you could take from the game? Tony: "Nope."

Reactions: LocoRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT