ADVERTISEMENT

Backup QB is HORRIBLE

Anyone see how bad the Decker injury was? Missed the game due to work

Yeah, Coach said the Decker was an emergency option available to come back in the game if needed. Good thing he wasn't so he can work on getting back next week.

Get his ass out this game. Jesus Christ.
What exactly are the Rebels supposed to do? Depth isn't something they have. Let's face it, Decker isn't a world beater as it is, sometimes he can be downright scary (see the stupid pass in the 2nd quarter). Backing him up is Palendech, who has at least seen live snaps. There simply were no options. The defense was going to have to hold on and win this game. UNR knew the Rebs were going to basically run every play and they bottled it up pretty well in the second half. As for the offense, what I was rooting for in the 2nd half was some sustained drives so the defense could get some rest, because it was going to come down to the defense.

Reactions: GoRebs!
Depth will be an issue next year too. Palandech/ Sneed better spend the spring working hard. They'll probably redshirt Smith.

Depth will be an issue next year too. Palandech/ Sneed better spend the spring working hard. They'll probably redshirt Smith.
Depth will probably always be an issue to some degree. But that's why it's a process that takes time.

I pretty much resigned myself to preparing for the worst and hoping for the best in the first couple of seasons. By season three and four, that's when you'd hope that UNLV moves far past laughing stock and into conference contenders. But as long as you can see tangible improvement along the way, I'm fine with that - because we really didn't see much of it over the past 10 years or so.

But UNLV might, just might be past laughing stock and into conference contenders (yes, I know the MWCW is weak) already. Saying that this early is saying quite alot. He's got this group fighting their tails off. Looks like they'll go to war for him.

Reactions: GoRebs!
Sorry, you could just see the snowball that was momentum just gaining for Reno in the second half. Offense has taken a complete s**t each time he's been in the game now. He doesn't look at reads, quite a few times he takes the snap and instantly is chucking it to the swing back. Frustrating to watch such a dominating half almost get washed away. It's no secret why we gave up those 4th quarter points as the defense was out there 80% of the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, you could just see the snowball that was momentum just gaining for Reno in the second half. Offense has taken a complete shit each time he's been in the game now. He doesn't look at reads, quite a few times he takes the snap and instantly is chucking it to the swing back. Frustrating to watch such a dominating half almost get washed away. It's no secret why we gave up those 4th quarter points as the defense was out there 80% of the second half.
I'm not debating his ineffectiveness at all. It's damn scary when he's in there unless he's just handing the ball off and UNLV is running well. Very scary. When he came in and made those back to back plays, I was amazed. Between his underhand chuck jump ball free for all to avoid a sack earlier this year, to him forcing a critical pass on a third down when he had nothing but green before him after breaking out of the pocket today - the kid just reeks of inexperience.

UNR made the only adjustments they could to give themselves a chance. They couldn't stop our run as is, so they loaded up and tried to force us to pass, which was a good gamble on their part. Also, they realized they couldn't run as much as they were because UNLV was kicking their ass in the trenches, so they opened it up and had some success. No doubt in my mind that Decker would have foiled their defensive game plan in the 2nd half much better than Palendech did, but they went with the odds and it almost worked.

Yeah, it was very frustrating. I was rooting for chain movement so the defense could catch their breath because it was going to come down to them.

I was absolutely livid when he didn't stay in bounds on the 3rd down run in the 4th quarter right before the last UNR possession. But congrats to the rebels, and Palendech did get us the td late in the 1st half :)

Reactions: rebelluver
I'll say this for Palendech: when he came in against UCLA he changed the entire outlook of the game by throwing that TERRIBLE pick-6 as he was going down for the sack. Instead of a 10-0 game at half, it was 17-0 and we looked defeated.

He didn't make those mistakes today. He provided an immediate spark with his pass to Boyd and rushing TD, and then he didn't make the huge mistake as he did against UCLA. Proud of his effort.

I was absolutely livid when he didn't stay in bounds on the 3rd down run in the 4th quarter right before the last UNR possession. But congrats to the rebels, and Palendech did get us the td late in the 1st half :)

That was the bonehead inexperienced showing for me too. Other than that, he didn't lose the game for us and that was all I really expected of him.

And of course, there was no other option. I am not sure how that fact can be ignored.

Sorry, you could just see the snowball that was momentum just gaining for Reno in the second half. Offense has taken a complete s**t each time he's been in the game now. He doesn't look at reads, quite a few times he takes the snap and instantly is chucking it to the swing back. Frustrating to watch such a dominating half almost get washed away. It's no secret why we gave up those 4th quarter points as the defense was out there 80% of the second half.

You also have to realize the guy has virtually no experience, thanks to Hauck and company running off Sherry the roster was devoid of a capable back up. Sanchez to his credit has been at times even against conventional wisdom has had Palendech get some game experience in each game thus far. I personally think Palendech's upside far exceeds Decker he is more mobile and has a stronger arm the difference is a 25 year old man with tons of game experience and a sophomore with truly less then 1 full division1 game experience.
Give Palendech another year and having seen the D1 game the guy will improve dramatically the biggest difference is we actually have a staff that has the potential to develop players unlike anything we have encountered consistently at UNLV ever.

Reactions: Moscurry91
The issue with your post wasn't about Palandech's inefficiency. The issue is they didn't have anyone to replace him with. Unless you want to burn his redshirt, true freshmen Sneed is the only other QB on roster. So it wasn't as simple as just 'getting his a#× out of there'

Just think about it......we are winning and playing well with a young team. Palandech is getting some great experience. He has shown flashes of being a good QB.

I know they really want to run with this team; speed up the game and keep their D as fresh as possible, but they need to get a little more creative in the passing game. UNRs pass Defense wasn't exactly ranked in the top 100.

The Defense gets big props for holding the best running back duo in the MWC under a 100 yards. Nice.

CTS didn't look too happy with Kurt after that, either, as Palandech got his tail feathers singed on the sidelines.

Reactions: rebelx
I have worries about the offense overall. It helps that the MWC is the worst it has ever been this year, but the offense has been pretty bad all year. the run game is getting better each game. I like the multiple looks we run schematically. But the passing game has been very lackluster all season regardless of the QB.
It's frustrating since I think we have a really good receiving corps. the pass blocking has struggled, but Decker is hit or miss under pressure, and Palendech is just awful when rushed.
If the passing game gets just to average, I think with our defense and run game we could run the table in the West.

Except for not staying inbounds on that run near the end of the game, I thought Kurt did exactly what the coaches wanted him to do -- namely stupid. I also think he has upside potential especially if there is a week to design a set of plays that use his talents. One last thing, the coaches deserve credit for getting Kurt some real game snaps in the early part of season.

Reactions: rebelx
I think Palandech shows flashes. Had a nice completion to Keys to set up his 12 yard TD run. Wasnt helped by a drop that would have been good for a first down. The run out of bounds was a bad play that stopped the clock but the coaches immediately coached him up.

He didnt put the ball in danger. I think a week of taking the #1 reps will do him some good. I trust this staff to come up with a plan to open up some passes to keep defenses honest. SJSU gives up a lot of yards on the ground so we should see heavy doses of Whitel/X/ LEX.

I just want to see a big crowd. This team deserves a legit home field advantage this week. 20K plus should happen.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That x-lex combo is going to be something special down the road.

To Palandech's credit, he got into a situation last night that was similar to when he threw his first pick 6. He got pressured, pushed outside of the pocket, had no where to run and no one to throw to. I like that Palandech just took the hit instead of trying to be stupid with the ball.

There was a marked improvement by Palandech not making too many silly mistakes. I don't think Palandech is truely terrible, he is just having some growing pains. They need to give Palandech a whole half against Fresno to get him comfortable with d1 football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT