ADVERTISEMENT

Are we really happy?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I've seen a lot of people on the bird app say that they're extremely happy because we covered the spread and got paid. It's cool that we covered the spread, but a lot of people seemed overjoyed with it. As if it's some type of victory.

Is this a joke or are we genuinely excited about covering the spread? And then there's a lot of mention about UNR losing to Idaho which is obviously very funny.

I've never seen a more sad fanbase; celebrating covering the spread as if we won a chip and then celebrating our rival, who we all know is ass, losing too. I wasn't a part of all this Rebel Twitter and forum stuff last football season so I'm truly wondering.

Reactions: UNLVbro
Every fanbase celebrates when their rival loses.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a rebel football fan who is happy. Celebration isn't necessarily the result of happiness, it's of achieving a marked goal or surpassing an expectation.

Fans have been burned for generations about having W/L expectations around this program. We celebrate what we can, but it doesn't mean we are happy with where the program is.

If this was Hauck's Rebel program losing by 28 at Michigan after the 7-5 bowl year, we wouldn't be happy. The year after the bowl game, we got boat-raced by everybody except we beat Northern Colorado 13-12 and Fresno in OT. Only New Mexico and Hawaii weren't two TD losses that season.

We find reasons to look at the good when those reasons exist, and enjoy them.

I've seen a lot of people on the bird app say that they're extremely happy because we covered the spread and got paid. It's cool that we covered the spread, but a lot of people seemed overjoyed with it. As if it's some type of victory.

Is this a joke or are we genuinely excited about covering the spread? And then there's a lot of mention about UNR losing to Idaho which is obviously very funny.

I've never seen a more sad fanbase; celebrating covering the spread as if we won a chip and then celebrating our rival, who we all know is ass, losing too. I wasn't a part of all this Rebel Twitter and forum stuff last football season so I'm truly wondering.
We're like a guy who hasn't had a date in 10 years. Even the ugliest girl in the county can get him excited.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
We're like a guy who hasn't had a date in 10 years. Even the ugliest girl in the county can get him excited.
Forget an ugly girl, if I have had girl in 10...I'll mount a goat.

I am beyond pissed off at how we played offensively. Downright depressing. Where's the goat?

Reactions: reagan21

The fanbase is trying to find some positive in not being in the same hemisphere as an upper echelon team like Michigan.

I’m not happy that we aren’t even close but am optimistic in Odom being able to make us respectable moving forward.

Michigan will be playing for the National Title this year. I had no expectations of a close game. We could have lost by 50 and it wouldn’t have changed my opinion on how I expect us to compete and win against MWC teams.

UNR fans love to give Rebel fans crap about how terrible our football program is. If you had to listen to them shat on us for decades you could understand how many Rebels are taking joy in them understanding a little of our pain.

I’m no more happy or disappointed now than before the season.

We are going to find out whether we improved or not mostly in conference play, see how we stack up against peers, measure our improvement or lack thereof vs things we did in the past.

No way am I happy with yesterdays game. But not too pissed either, pretty much what I expected. I thought we battled well enough IN SOME AREAS, but were pretty poor in most others. But Michigan is a different beast, too. We went through two ends of the spectrum of our schedule difficulty. I’m probably more disappointed in the Bryant win than the Michigan loss. I think against Bryant, we were about four individual plays away from really stinking the joint up.

I don't gamble so spreads don't mean anything to me. I'm a Rebel fan and I follow the Rebels regardless of spreads.

I give a thumbs up anytime that POS school up North loses. Celebrating would mean I'm thinking about them. And, I don't waste my time with that.

Happy... call it understanding...
Things I'm happy about
Defense did ok
Special teams still looked good, no serious errors
DeJesus is going to terrorize MWC Defenses in the slot role
Not happy about
Qb play- was not expecting a ton vs a Defense with NFL guys all over it, but wasn't expecting a team that couldn't move ball or throw further than a few yards. Had issues making reads again and the play calling was very vanilla..
Defense- play calling was far to conservative in a game where you have nothing to lose... dropping 8 in a zone on 3rd and longs just to watch Michigan consistently hit wide open guys at sticks was embarrassing really...
Missing talent- White disappeared for entire 1st half, and what ever Carter did to be suspended, his presence was missed.
I don't bet, so don't care about covering spread. Right now the vanilla play calling on both sides of the ball is frustrating. There's almost 0 pressure on the QB in 2 games, that's going to make for long games. I've yet to really see the fast paced offense we were promised that they'd run to gas teams. That's concerning... can't be sad about a game you had 0 chance to win realistically speaking, but can't be happy for mediocrity given where we want team to be...

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Happy... call it understanding...
Things I'm happy about
Defense did ok
Special teams still looked good, no serious errors
DeJesus is going to terrorize MWC Defenses in the slot role
Not happy about
Qb play- was not expecting a ton vs a Defense with NFL guys all over it, but wasn't expecting a team that couldn't move ball or throw further than a few yards. Had issues making reads again and the play calling was very vanilla..
Defense- play calling was far to conservative in a game where you have nothing to lose... dropping 8 in a zone on 3rd and longs just to watch Michigan consistently hit wide open guys at sticks was embarrassing really...
Missing talent- White disappeared for entire 1st half, and what ever Carter did to be suspended, his presence was missed.
I don't bet, so don't care about covering spread. Right now the vanilla play calling on both sides of the ball is frustrating. There's almost 0 pressure on the QB in 2 games, that's going to make for long games. I've yet to really see the fast paced offense we were promised that they'd run to gas teams. That's concerning... can't be sad about a game you had 0 chance to win realistically speaking, but can't be happy for mediocrity given where we want team to be...
Your statement about 0 (zero) chance of winning is why I am pissed. 0 zilch, nada...no creativity and no nothing! That is not Vegas!

Your statement about 0 (zero) chance of winning is why I am pissed. 0 zilch, nada...no creativity and no nothing! That is not Vegas!
Sean Peyton pulled a 4 pass interference plays and dare the f* refs to call it. They called two. He onside kick in the first kickoff....to test his oppoents. That is Vegas.

Im disappointed because we still played vanilla.

Maybe Odom is playing the long game. Keeping things tight foe games we may need to win. I understand this play if it were indeed true. It is probably smart in the long run.
I would have liked to go all out for against Michigan just to see what would happen. I honestly thought they would.
The other possibility that Odom isn't totally bought into all the craziness that the Go go has. And will not allow the crazy off balanced fronts. Texas and Pitt also didn't want it to get too crazy too FWIW. But it sure sounded like Odom was going to let Marion do what he wanted preseason.
The other possibility is that that part of the offense just isn't ready yet. Or Marion does not feel comfortable with it yet. Who knows.

Maybe we se some crazy sh!t next week?

Last edited:
Im disappointed because we still played vanilla.

Maybe Odom is playing the king game. Keeping things tight foe games we may need to win. I understand this play if it were indeed true. It is probably smart in the long run.
I would have liked to go all out for against Michigan just to see what would happen. I honestly thought they would.
The other possibility that Odom isn't totally bought into all the craziness that the Go go has. And will not allow the crazy off balanced fronts. Texas and Pitt also didn't want it to get too crazy too FWIW. But it sure sounded like Odom was going to let Marion do what he wanted preseason.
The other possibility is that that part of the offense just isn't ready yet. Or Marion does not feel comfortable with it yet. Who knows.

Maybe we se some crazy sh!t next weekm
We are a work in progress on offense. Doug will have to make better decisions and deliver the ball on time to receivers. Vanderbilt is a must win and will tell us how far we have to go.

No No you're letting your emotions get the best of you. The fact that there is a solid 10k plus loyal fanbase after all we've been through is a testament of our passion for Rebel Football. Personally I started in '89 and have never wavered no matter how bad things got. I have been in the front row in the end zone and it has been a close up view of decades of ass whoppings. You have to keep a sense of humor or you'll lose it. I still have front row seats in the end zone but I miss the closeness of Sam Boyd but enjoy the comforts of Allegiant. In it for a penny in it for a pound both basketball and football. UNLV Football fans rank up there with all the long suffering franchises. We'll get to the mountain top one day or die trying, plus we're still recruiting more fans. Think bleacher bums in Chicago all those years. We're a good group.

I don’t think anyone had any preconceived notions of a Rebel upset at Michigan. All most could have hoped for was to not be completely embarrassed and lose by 50+, which some predicted and to also come out of it healthy. Although I wasn’t happy with the final score, I was happy with the effort and for the most part they played a pretty mistake free game, but we’re simply out matched at every position. I still remember when UNLV played against Payton Manning and the then #2 ranked Tennessee Volunteers on national tv back in 1996 and lost 62 - 3..

Welcome to UNLV football, the ultimate excuse factory in FBS football. It's been this way for 30+ years bro.

30-40 pt losses? Eh, we had a nice kick return game. Signs of progress is all this program has been running on for almost 3 decades. In the weak af MWC for crying out loud. It's sad and pathetic.

There was nothing we could've done against Michigan. Our OL & DL is atrocious. They got road grated all game long. Dougie had no shot at all.

Another annual feature of UNLV football is to hype things that never actually happen. Like the No-Go offense. Or this super attacking D that literally plays base zone coverage all game long. LOL it's a joke. But hey, we just need to give it more time. That said, we played clean and we didn't give up like past UNLV teams always do, so perhaps that's our silver linining on this last loss.

We are going to find out whether we improved or not mostly in conference play, see how we stack up against peers, measure our improvement or lack thereof vs things we did in the past.

No way am I happy with yesterdays game. But not too pissed either, pretty much what I expected. I thought we battled well enough IN SOME AREAS, but were pretty poor in most others. But Michigan is a different beast, too. We went through two ends of the spectrum of our schedule difficulty. I’m probably more disappointed in the Bryant win than the Michigan loss. I think against Bryant, we were about four individual plays away from really stinking the joint up.
My son and his friends from IU went to the game. They were impressed with UNLV tackling and effort on defense.

Am I happy? I don't think any sports fan leaves a 28 point loss to anyone as 'happy'. But I also understand how to keep perspective when dealing with a clearly superior opponent who clearly called off the dogs after 40 minutes. Just like I didn't leave the Bryant game sad because we won by 30 against a team we should have probably beat by 50.

You have to be critical and look at things from a reasonable perspective, and that does include looking at our history. These first two games were more apt to show things that are areas for improvement than any real barometer of where the team is at right now. I saw mostly bad things against Michigan, but that stress test was going to show a lot more cracks. Moral victories are the currency of losers, but for many who have been around the program since the days of Sam King, that's the only thing some of have consistently had and will be until it's not. There will be people who will take those moral victories because historically, if we didn't take those the fan base would have starved even further than it has.

Schadenfreude in real life is super cringey, but in sports I'm always here for it. FUNR, I hope they have to close down their program.

But Happy? Nah.

Last edited:
IMO, there are three levels of D1 football. Power five level, Group of five level, FCS. There are top performers within each. Michigan is currently at the top of the power five level. We are towards the middle, or lower, of the group of five. With that in mind I'm upset we aren't at least at the top of the G5. But since we aren't - and we are nowhere near - I'm not displeased with our performance. We were disciplined. We held up against their run game for the most part. Our defensive backfield play was way too soft to stop them but IMO had we played tighter we would have been destroyed. We were totally overmatched on the offense.

Bottom line they have better athletes and more of them. They outclass us by a huge factor.

So I'm not pleased we can't compete at that level. I am pleased we weren't embarrassed, the coaches had the opportunity to see our players compete against the best, and we didn't get beat up physically.

This Michigan team is possibly the best opponent we've played in the history of our program. With health and a little luck they can win a natty. I had realistic expectations going in. We are not in their stratosphere in terms of pedigree and talent. That being said, the performance on Saturday left me beaming with optimism that we are headed for a bottom level bowl game. Two games in and I can clearly see the coaching alpha we have on the sidelines compared to the last three years. This is a team worth supporting.

The season now starts. I can't wait for Saturday. Should be a really good game.

exactly. I knew we'd beat Bryant by 30+ and I knew we'd look inept against Michigan. The "I need to see progress" games can now start. Talk to me in a couple weeks to see if I'm disappointed or not.

The next 4 games are all winnable and games we should expect to win. Go any worse that 3-1 and this is probably another bowlless season.

exactly. I knew we'd beat Bryant by 30+ and I knew we'd look inept against Michigan. The "I need to see progress" games can now start. Talk to me in a couple weeks to see if I'm disappointed or not.

The next 4 games are all winnable and games we should expect to win. Go any worse that 3-1 and this is probably another bowlless season.
I don’t see how any person living near reality having a much different viewpoint than this.

The Vandy game will be our first test by a decent team that does matches us at a talent/development level. We get that game with heads up play, improved pass rush, passing game, turn overs & penalties. Then we should have a good idea of where we are....

The Vandy game will be our first test by a decent team that does matches us at a talent/development level. We get that game with heads up play, improved pass rush, passing game, turn overs & penalties. Then we should have a good idea of where we are....
Hawaii gave them a good game, but was Vandy not excited for that game. I think they will be on track for us Saturday.

Hawaii gave them a good game, but was Vandy not excited for that game. I think they will be on track for us Saturday.
The game we played them, UNLV commondeer their a$s on a platter at their home. What does that say about their motivation and focus?

We are both in a similar place in that each team most likely needs the win to eventually be bowl eligible.

We are both in a similar place in that each team most likely needs the win to eventually be bowl eligible.
It sounds like it will be helluva war, then? If both teams fighting to win this game to make a bowl. A lot is riding on this game for both teams.

If Vandy has a legit shot at being bowl eligible, we are in trouble. I don't see 3 or 4 wins for them on their schedule the rest of the way. Sure it is possible, but it is not an easy road.

From central IL here - live in Phoenix

Recovering from two herniated discs and was at PT yesterday. My PT went to Illinois and we were talking football…..she said that a G5 school only allowing Michigan to score 35 points and scoring 7 at home is actually a GOOD thing. She thinks we’ll be fine and reminded me that Michigan has a projected 15 NFL players on it with some projections going to 20.

Are we fielding a 2nd string NFL team? No. Are we going to be competitive against Reno meth heads? Probably, and I’m ok with that. Cannon stays red.

From central IL here - live in Phoenix

Recovering from two herniated discs and was at PT yesterday. My PT went to Illinois and we were talking football…..she said that a G5 school only allowing Michigan to score 35 points and scoring 7 at home is actually a GOOD thing. She thinks we’ll be fine and reminded me that Michigan has a projected 15 NFL players on it with some projections going to 20.

Are we fielding a 2nd string NFL team? No. Are we going to be competitive against Reno meth heads? Probably, and I’m ok with that. Cannon stays red.
Decompression and chiro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT