ADVERTISEMENT

Another transfer

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Vic is gone. Not too many are surprised with this one either. I wonder where he could/would go

Reactions: RRebel
This is going to be an interesting offseason. I didn't mind Vic as a mostly defensive minded guy, but he and Muoka were quite one dimensional, so as a tandem, it didn't work too well. I liked his effort though. Hopefully we can bring in some bigs with more offensive upside to go along with Cottrell.

Always tried hard but was undersized when KK tried to play him at the 5. Would also pick up the absolute worst fouls.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hey, if his MO is plenty of minutes, this is the spot for him.
Based on Hall not getting PT as a freshman are there really minutes available? I fully expect the 8-10 roster spots to be filled by 5th year transfers who will get the minutes as the staff chases that elusive post season

Based on Hall not getting PT as a freshman are there really minutes available? I fully expect the 8-10 roster spots to be filled by 5th year transfers who will get the minutes as the staff chases that elusive post season
It’s just not a good overall situation right now. Candy coat it as some might, those same people, I’m certain, didn’t envision the poor season we just finished and the dumpster fire soon after.

Don’t worry, be happy. We are going to be dealt a royal flush. That’s what we need to believe, right?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It’s just not a good overall situation right now. Candy coat it as some might, those same people, I’m certain, didn’t envision the poor season we just finished and the dumpster fire soon after.

Don’t worry, be happy. We are going to be dealt a royal flush. That’s what we need to believe, right?
If the same small circle of fans that say this on Twitter is what you're referring to then yes, We're getting better because kids are simply choosing to leave not because Kevin can't coach but because they're not hard workers or Kevin's suggesting they aren't good enough for his team and need to go elsewhere. Addition by subtraction of entire roster I guess... but hey, as a fan you're supposed to just blindly say all is fine, give Kevin more time, he's building a culture of hard workers who want to be here, blah, blah, blah...lol

If Hall had been on the floor all 40 minutes, he would have the same scoring average, 10 to 12 points and give up a basket every time he has to switch. Totally out of shape,, same problem with Keshon. They could not get up off the ground with someone on them. Nowell was a high scoring guard in high school and will be again if he gets the ball. JJIII learned he had to get the ball way up on the glass to avoid the block on his drives. Culture is a tough thing but Brooklyn HIcks will bring culture, about 20 points a game along with Nowell they will light it up. Isaiah will be fine playing a flex 4. Whaley is good for 14 a game in this league. Not so much in the Big 10 or 12 or East.

Idk why but I also have a feeling that Hicks will decommit
It's in our nature genetically to expect the worst. Helped us out back in the cave man era when wolves were around most corners. Healthier to expect the worst.

Idk why but I also have a feeling that Hicks will decommit
It's a real serious question... as a player that's an incoming freshman, why go to a school with a coach that either is unwilling to or can't develop/play a young freshman when there's plenty of opportunity to do so. At some point the staff needed to be honest with itself and play younger guys to work out their development.
Next year, in a win now situation, a freshman inconsistencies will not equate to playing time. Then you factor in a coaching change potentially on horizon... it's a legitimate concern

Reactions: the Florian Trout
I'm kind of expecting Hicks to decommit at this point but I don't know his relationship to program, just a hunch about player development and a staff that won't be terribly interested in that trying to save their @$$...
Agreed!

I think that regardless of what you or I think of CKK and whether or not what he did was intentional or an accident he made UNLV a possible location for a scorer that has been held back where he is now. Hamilton lit it up in 21-22 and now Harmless goes crazy in 22-23 scoring at a clip that will get them noticed by pro scouts. I expect a number of high volume scorers to show us some interest and land a few.
My basic philosophy is to recruit offensive players in abundance and then let them know that whoever plays the best D will get the most court time.

Why is it that we don't reach out to more transfers? I see transfer announcements everyday and how they've been contacted by so and so. We are only attached to like 4-6 names.

This is dumb to me tbh. Just contact these players AT MINIMUM! There's nothing to lose right now and it's sad that we are going out not even trying to swing for the fences.

In terms of high school recruiting, there is a newly decommitted Providence recruit. We need to reach out to him. Top 75 kid from CA. At this point, CKK needs to reach out to every decommitted prospect, especially those from surrounding states.

Because we don't need top 100 recruits with elevated expectations nor could we land them anyways. We need the grinders and program builders that are the backbones of mid-major programs. Since we're going to try and rebuild each year with transfers at least bring in some long term kids who are short on expectations but have good team mentalities. Other MWC schools do this regularly and that's why they succeed. Get those recruits and build with to compete and earn a tournament invite. Then maybe work on upgrading recruiting talent in order to win a Championship and make tournament each year.

Why is it that we don't reach out to more transfers? I see transfer announcements everyday and how they've been contacted by so and so. We are only attached to like 4-6 names.

This is dumb to me tbh. Just contact these players AT MINIMUM! There's nothing to lose right now and it's sad that we are going out not even trying to swing for the fences.

In terms of high school recruiting, there is a newly decommitted Providence recruit. We need to reach out to him. Top 75 kid from CA. At this point, CKK needs to reach out to every decommitted prospect, especially those from surrounding states.
I believe we do reach out to those players. Those lists are often BS and aren’t factual. Just last year GONZAGA was “interested” in Marvin Coleman. He ended up at Evansville, one of the worst teams in the country.

Reactions: UNLVbro
Because we don't need top 100 recruits with elevated expectations nor could we land them anyways. We need the grinders and program builders that are the backbones of mid-major programs. Since we're going to try and rebuild each year with transfers at least bring in some long term kids who are short on expectations but have good team mentalities. Other MWC schools do this regularly and that's why they succeed. Get those recruits and build with to compete and earn a tournament invite. Then maybe work on upgrading recruiting talent in order to win a Championship and make tournament each year.
Ha. Unlv fans with patience to see thru a plan like you describe? I do not see that. Many have already been calling for the coaches head.

I am thinking CKK got blindsided by this batch of transfers as he talked in late season how they were in much better shape wirh the roster than a year ago and he had a good core group. Sure does not look so hot today with 2 likely starters gone.

If Hall had been on the floor all 40 minutes, he would have the same scoring average, 10 to 12 points and give up a basket every time he has to switch. Totally out of shape,, same problem with Keshon. They could not get up off the ground with someone on them. Nowell was a high scoring guard in high school and will be again if he gets the ball. JJIII learned he had to get the ball way up on the glass to avoid the block on his drives. Culture is a tough thing but Brooklyn HIcks will bring culture, about 20 points a game along with Nowell they will light it up. Isaiah will be fine playing a flex 4. Whaley is good for 14 a game in this league. Not so much in the Big 10 or 12 or East.
So the players that are leaving absolutely suck.

The players that are staying or coming in are great.

Ok then.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
I think that regardless of what you or I think of CKK and whether or not what he did was intentional or an accident he made UNLV a possible location for a scorer that has been held back where he is now. Hamilton lit it up in 21-22 and now Harmless goes crazy in 22-23 scoring at a clip that will get them noticed by pro scouts. I expect a number of high volume scorers to show us some interest and land a few.
My basic philosophy is to recruit offensive players in abundance and then let them know that whoever plays the best D will get the most court time.
Has one high scoring, high volume player per roster made us a good team?

I agree we can attract those players. But that in itself lends yourself to hero ball and disjointed offenses without a care for defense, so you have to be careful with those types of players.

Has one high scoring, high volume player per roster made us a good team?

I agree we can attract those players. But that in itself lends yourself to hero ball and disjointed offenses without a care for defense, so you have to be careful with those types of players.
I also don't think anyone expected Harkless to produce at 20ppg in conference play. That became a trap for team performance rather than individual player. The team defaulted to Harkless and the droughts that just killed us in games was when he was ineffective.
The new team must have more consistent scorers in general, And I'd rather have 3 or 4 guys that can give me a consistent 12-15ppg than a volume singular scorer that the team defaults to...yes, an Alpha scorer will emerge, it happens, but give me 4 starters who can go 12-15 a night any time

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT