ADVERTISEMENT

Air Force/UNLV

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Hopefully many fans will show up for the game. But for those of us who are unable to attend, here's some info to watch The Rebels battle Air Force today.

If, like mine, your TV Service Provider (mine is Cox-Digital) doesn't get the Root Network, the game will be live-streamed at the MW site. Its a 3:00 pm tip-off.

http://www.themwc.com/news/watch-li...network-mw-men-s-basketball-action-01-17-2017

images
images

Go Rebels!

Both are using livestream. Won't work on my phone, but got it working on gf's phone. Whew!

Very glad I went to the game, even though we played like crap glad we pulled out a W.. that boy Mooring can score.

This game was kind of like a Vin Diesel movie. You know that it’s artistically a piece of crap, but it’s sometimes exciting as hell.

I’ve said it before, but it’s never been truer than today: This team lives and dies at the hands of JoJo Mooring. The kid has ice water in his veins. The shot to send it to the first OT was incredible. A bank shot! And they would never have been close in this game before that. He scored 30 of the Rebels 87 points. Amazing!

The Rebels may not be a great team this season, but you can’t deny that, at times, they’ve been pretty entertaining. And a win is a win…

images
images

Go Rebels!

This game was kind of like a Vin Diesel movie. You know that it’s artistically a piece of crap, but it’s sometimes exciting as hell.

I’ve said it before, but it’s never been truer than today: This team lives and dies at the hands of JoJo Mooring. The kid has ice water in his veins. The shot to send it to the first OT was incredible. A bank shot! And they would never have been close in this game before that. He scored 30 of the Rebels 87 points. Amazing!

The Rebels may not be a great team this season, but you can’t deny that, at times, they’ve been pretty entertaining. And a win is a win…

images
images

Go Rebels!

In collegiate hoops, there are two results; one is real GOOD and the other is BAD. There are no ties; this ain't soccer. The Rebels did GOOD tonight...

Reactions: EastSideRebel
Had a great time at the game. Slow starts to each half seems to be a recurring problem with this group. JOJO is awesome! Love that kid. You gotta have a guy or two on your team that can score the rock and man can he go. I love that coach has put Dembele into the starting line up as it shows that he is building for the future now. At this point it might be time to take another step in that direction and take Poyser out and replace him with Baxter and slide Ouche over to the 2. I heard someone say that Poyser has become 1 dimensional. I would say 2 dimensional. He can't score and he can't play defense. Maybe 3 dimensional as he does grab a lot of rebounds for a guard. Now that I have said that he will probably find his touch next game.

What a meltdown at the free throw line at the end of the 2'nd overtime. We should have won that game going away with a few made free throws but that would have taken the excitement out of it!

Go Rebels!

And yes, this was GOOD!

Really just a couple pieces away from elevating themselves to getting into the top 3 of the MWC or at least competing for a championship imo. Menzies and his staff are showing that they can get better and they can develop players. It's still remarkable that he was able to grab some of these kids in such a short amount of time. We do have a real point guard sitting out right now so moving Mooring to the two will push Poyser out of the starting lineup next year most likely and back up Mooring. Like I said it's just a couple puzzle pieces away.

That game was a blast! There have been plenty of OT games in UNLV history, but I dont recall a game quite like this!

Crazy to think just 2 years ago poyser was a 4 star recruit and mooring wasnt even on a team!! 1-11 from 3 from poyser and the worst part is at least probaly 8 of them were wide open threes and a lot were off great passes from mooring after he penetrated the zone. Also poyser looked really bad attacking the basket other than his last drive. He seems to shy away from contact and throw up crazy shots when attacking which leads to low percentage shots and little free throws. Not to mention the last play of the game in regulation he almost completely blew it for us. Thought this kid was gonna take a huge step this year but starting to look more and more like a Cornish sophmore year last year where all we see is regression. His numbers are up big time from last year, but most of it was against weak competition and because he didnt play a lot last year.

Mooring on the other hand was hitting nba range 3's with guys in his face. He was amazing. Also he was the only one who could consistenly attack the zone and create open looks for others. I didnt like mooring at all the first 10 games but the kid is a player and has clearly been our best player since conference and much our success will depend on his play.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I don't expect anyone to agree, but I’ve got to say, I’m a little uncomfortable with all this Poyser-bashing.

I can’t argue with the points being made about his poor production in recent games. But couldn’t he just be going through a shooter’s slump? Which could effect the rest of his game? That he could easily have his next game be the one where he hits half-a-dozen treys?

It’s just that he and Green were the only one’s (now that DM is out) that didn’t choose to jump-ship after everything that went down, between the Rice-firing and the coaching carousel. They showed loyalty to UNLV when no one else did. Don’t we owe them a little in return?

Not just that, but those two virtually carried us through most of the OOC portion of the season. Tyrell has already been relegated to the bench. I’m not necessarily saying that Jaylen might not belong there with him. I thought that Klyburn had some excellent minutes in the AF game. Maybe he should start. If Poyser can find his shooter’s touch, he and Green could make up a potent bench.

So, I’m not actually disagreeing with the sentiment, that Poyser is struggling. It’s just that I suspect that the players may monitor this site, and I want these two, in particular, to know that we appreciate their decision to give The Rebels another chance.

12675152-illustration-of-a-cool-yellow-emoticon-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

Go Rebels!

I agree that Poyser and Green deserve our support and the support of Menzies. Remember, Poyser is just a sophomore and was forced to start the season as a point guard, not his natural position. I think it has become clear that he is much more of a two.

Meanwhile, Jovan has made great progress as a point guard. The success of this team is going to depend on as many people as possible contributing. Too early to write any one off.

Players go through slumps. It's the nature of life. You can either support them through the slump and help restore some of the confidence they had earlier in the season or you can toss them aside and ensure their confidence is shot beyond the point of no return.

I personally don't care if Poyser starts or not as long as they get a W. I would assume he would say the same thing if you asked him. He was the best recruit out of Canada, and as it has been mentioned, he stayed at UNLV when he could have gone anywhere else. I say reward loyalty with loyalty. Food for thought:

This team has
4* Poyser
4* Baxter
5* Morgan (hopefully for 2 more years)

And finally Dembele who was a Michigan State and Syracuse recruit that no one knew much about....could be 4-5* caliber when it's all said and done.

Give em a chance.....there's secretly a pretty talented roster here that just needs coached up

Reactions: TarkisGod
And finally Dembele who was a Michigan State and Syracuse recruit that no one knew much about....could be 4-5* caliber when it's all said and done.

Just to build on your point about Dembele…If he decides to stay in school for a few years, he will benefit greatly from his association with Marvin Menzies.

The Coach is known for his ability to develop big men in particular. He left New Mexico State after having three years with Pascal Siakam, a 6’9” native of The Cameroons (sounds a bit like Cheickna, only shorter, no?). Siakam was the 27th pick in the 2016 NBA draft by the Toronto Raptors. Unlike most of the recent draft picks from UNLV who have flirted with the D-league or sat on the end of the bench, he starts for The Raptors, as a rookie.

I find that pretty darn impressive. It should also help attract some quality big men our way.

images

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT