ADVERTISEMENT

Air Force at UNLV

ltcpilot

National Player of the Year
Jan 9, 2006
Hi all, AF fan here. Looking for a good game an no injuries. Some thoughts on the game

Time for a rematch, it's Air Force at UNLV

(More at http://ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com/ )

As Air Force travels this week for a Tuesday 830pm MST tipoff versus UNLV, we look back at the surprising results of game one in this matchup at Clune Arena. The Falcons stunned the Rebels with a victory leading from start to finish. Thoughts from that game (LINK). The Falcons hope to find the same kind of magic in their tough rematch on the road in the Thomas&Mack Arena in Las Vegas.

Since the first meeting between these two teams the Falcons have gone 3-3 with 2 road losses (one to #6 Nevada after leading up to the 10:43 mark in the second half) and garnering their lone road win at SJSU. UNLV has gone 3-4 and is coming off a loss at home to Fresno State. Without looking at the teams, the schedule for this meeting gives some benefit to the Falcons. AF played at home last Wednesday and this weekend had their first bye of the season. It fits right around GR week (graded review = test week) at USAFA and it's a great time for the players to get the rest. The scheduling of the Tuesday tip, while rested with the bye, gives them one less day of 'idle time no games' between playing. UNLV has kept busy traveling and winning on the road at Boise State then the home loss Saturday to Fresno State. Attendance might have an issue for those fans with allegiance to Rebel basketball vs Knights hockey as they also have a home game on Tuesday with a 8pm tipoff. This AF fan suggest 'everyone' go to the hockey game tomorrow night instead of the T&M!

For the team matchup up, the biggest change will be the presence of UNLV' s Diong (6'11"/ 7ppg/6rpg/2bpg/54%FG/50%FT. His presence will be a factor on both ends for UNLV.

Keys for the game should not come as a surprise:

- The Falcons must go inside and inside-out and do it from the opening tipoff. That has been a problem in games they struggled in: Simply being intimidated and not making that push early to get inside. We have seen them adjust late in games with success but sometimes to late in the game to matter, and especially on the road everyone knows you cannot get into a hole early. Simply said, AF must attack early and often.

- AF cannot allow UNLV's big men (especially with Diong back) to control the lane on either end but especially on offense, to work underneath the net and score at will and....

-.....it will be a fine line between AF double teaming the big's underneath without leaving the wide open man free from the arc. UNLV has done well in league play (in the middle of the pack) in 3pt percentage (better at home). While they shoot well, AF hopes to find success from the arc as UNLV is near the bottom of the conference in 3pt defense on their own right

-Falcons must take care of the ball and limit turnovers. Both teams took care of the ball in game one (AF 6 TO; UNLV 8 TO) but both are susceptible on the year to turn it over with each team averaging 14 TPG for the whole 2018-2019 season.

-AF must score early and take the crowd out of the equation. T&M is a tough place to play and tougher when the fans are into the game and playing with a lead. (Did I mention I think all UNLV fans should go to the Knights hockey game?).

-Lastly both teams shoot right at 67% from the charity stripe. I haven't followed UNLV closely but the Falcons are either on or they are off with their FT's. The team that can find consistency from the line may have the advantage.

Big game for both teams. Tough to win on the road for any team and AF has not done well with that in recent history. With the parity in the conference so tight at times, depending on wins and losses this week on Tuesday/Wednesday nights six teams could find themselves between 6-5 and 5-7 in league play, battling for that 4th and 5th spot in the standings and the opening tournament bye.

Go Falcons Beat UNLV

It is sad when we go back and forth on whether we do or do not want UNLV to win. It is hard knowing that I have very little confidence that Menzies can turn things around, but deep in my heart I still hope a miracle happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT