ADVERTISEMENT

Afa game thread

The cbs sports network announcers are calling unlv defense bad. Some truth for once.

Our offense just passes ball on the outside and no one cuts. Air force actually runs offense. We have better athletes at every position but cannot shake these guys.

• Haha
Reactions: cducker68
The cbs sports network announcers are calling unlv defense bad. Some truth for once.

Our offense just passes ball on the outside and no one cuts. Air force actually runs offense. We have better athletes at every position but cannot shake these guys.
What said too. UNLV bad at defense. Unbelievable..called AF the runnin' falcons ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
Actually unlv is holding air force down. But unlv offense has never looked worse. Tons of turnovers and bad shooting. Gilbert missing a wide open dunk in a close game does not help either.

Rout, blow out, butt whuppin. Rebs win by 1 on a minor miracle. Do not think they made a shot longer than a layup the whole 2nd half.

Garbage basketball to even the most homer of eyes. It’s not even about neither team playing well, they both were abysmal. AFA runs some stuff, but they have zero talent. UNLV has far more talent than AFA, but they are rudderless and purposeless. It’s going through the motions, playing out the string until season’s end and then the player carousel comes and UNLV tries to plug and play with new faces.

It’s a terrible cycle.

This team is Harkless and thats it! I would think that at least one other transfer would be better at the end of games but it’s all EJ or nothing!

Why has this team gone so far downhill that they need a miracle at the end to beat a bottom feeder team? Is it the coach, the players, or a combination of both?

Reactions: RebelSoldat
Why has this team gone so far downhill that they need a miracle at the end to beat a bottom feeder team? Is it the coach, the players, or a combination of both?
You're not supposed to make excuses for injury, but I will anyway. Two of our most solid players were out. I believe that made a difference.

Only bright spot is Harkless should be at least 2nd team all conference. Not sure we would even have 10 wins without him. He certainly won this game for unlv.

Shot 3 of 20 from 3, turned the ball over 17 times, still won. We were 0-4 in games decided by 3 points or less prior to last night. Even though that game should never have been close, I am glad the guys got to feel whats it’s like to win one of those.

Muoka had a decent game. EJ saved the day, despite going 0-6 from three. He’s all heart. A 6’3” guard leading our team in rebounds speaks volumes.

I think Cottrell would have dominated that game.

Gilbert’s missed dunk was a low point. He wasn’t good, again. I still really hope he returns because he’s a four year college player, and I truly believe he’ll be better as an upperclassman. I’m glad he’s still getting minutes because he needs experience and now is the time to get it.

One of the funniest moments of the season for me happened when one of the announcers commented that McCabe is known for his “eye opening passes”, then exactly 1 second later he launched a pass to no one out of bounds. Comment couldn’t have been better timed.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:
You're not supposed to make excuses for injury, but I will anyway. Two of our most solid players were out. I believe that made a difference.
I agree we should be able to handle AF easily without those two guys, but they certainly would have helped.

Last edited:
I’d agree with you if the effort was strong game long and they were short with talent. But when they go through the motions and sleepwalk, two more added to that isn’t going to make a huge difference.

The lack of focus, the sleepwalking through the season, the low effort is a contagious cancer that makes a root canal with a colonoscopy at the same time seem more comfortable.

We can candy coat it and say yay team, good fight or we can call it what it actually is - a flaming pile.

I don’t like it either. But it’s what we’ve been dealt.

Need nearly complete turnover for next season. And then hope.

It was a pile. I don’t hear anybody saying otherwise.

I disagree on the need for “complete turnover”. I think we need 5-6 new players next year. 3-4 of next years starters are on this years roster. One hasn’t played all year.

I disagree on the need for “complete turnover”. I think we need 5-6 new players next year. 3-4 of next years starters are on this years roster. One hasn’t played all year.
"One hasn’t played all year."
Who is this??

Maybe not complete. But about 50-60% of the minutes need to be taken by new guys. If this current crop has trouble competing with Fresno, San Jose State and Air Force, there’s not a lot of worth on the roster. Sorry, but you don’t finish 7th or 8th in this conference and have any shred of “promise”.

Lucky we had a fringe NBA last season (Hamilton) or it would have been this season, not that his season was anything great.

@WarthogRebel Sorry, I guess he played 8 minutes.

You don’t like Cottrell? Or is it you think he shouldn’t be counted on because of his injury history?

Last edited:
Maybe not complete. But about 50-60% of the minutes need to be taken by new guys. If this current crop has trouble competing with Fresno, San Jose State and Air Force, there’s not a lot of worth on the roster. Sorry, but you don’t finish 7th or 8th in this conference and have any shred of “promise”.

Lucky we had a fringe NBA last season (Hamilton) or it would have been this season, not that his season was anything great.
Ok. I tend to think the four guys I see as our core for the next two seasons (Nowell, Hall, Gilbert and IC) could handle 50% of next years minutes themselves. And all could be significantly better than they are today.

"One hasn’t played all year."
Who is this??
If 3-4 next years starters are on this team right now then they need to fire CKK as soon as the season ends. No way in hell we win more than 20 game next year if that is the case. Unless CKK pulls in some SIGNIFICANT increase in talent. SIGNIFICNAT as i mean 2 NBA or NBA fringe type of recruits.

If 3-4 next years starters are on this team right now then they need to fire CKK as soon as the season ends.
Clearly you and some others here feel that way. I and I think a lot of others who don’t post here daily, don’t agree. Nothing wrong with that 😁🤙🏼

@WarthogRebel Sorry, I guess he played 8 minutes.

You don’t like Cottrell? Or is it you think he shouldn’t be counted on because of his injury history?
"You don’t like Cottrell?"

I like Cottrell. I'm convinced he'll be a contributor. I just don't know if he can be a game-changer. You don't know about a transfer till you get several games into the season.

An example of a transfer not meeting expectations is JJ. I thought JJ would be a far better scorer. When you look at his previous film he gets loose and can score from range. Most of that went away as he went up in competition.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
"You don’t like Cottrell?"

I like Cottrell. I'm convinced he'll be a contributor. I just don't know if he can be a game-changer. You don't know about a transfer till you get several games into the season.

An example of a transfer not meeting expectations is JJ. I thought JJ would be a far better scorer. When you look at his previous film he gets loose and can score from range. Most of that went away as he went up in competition.
We need toughness. He doesn’t have that. Not a banger. More finesse. Will he add something? Sure. If he ever plays here. But I don’t think it’s going to be that “12 points and 7 rebounds” people always toss around for newcomers.

JJ is a one dimensional role player.

I only know a small handful that attend games nowadays, at least regularly. Most of those I know have dropped off over the years. And that’s part of the reason crowds are so paltry.

That’s always a strong barometer of the confidence level in the program. Fan size and enthusiasm. Both are very low. Toss in that they’ve fallen into about 5th place when it comes to local sports coverage and zero national coverage.

It’s hard to find any silver linings that aren’t completely blind faith based.

We need toughness. He doesn’t have that. Not a banger.
I think he’s tougher than you do. I think he has the size and won’t be pushed around, especially if he spends this off-season in the gym. Hopefully with a chip on his shoulder.

I do agree we need a real “banger” in the lineup and I don’t see that on todays roster. That said, this years team would in my mind undoubtedly be “tougher” if it had a healthy IC.

Last edited:
That’s always a strong barometer of the confidence level in the program. Fan size and enthusiasm. Both are very low. Toss in that they’ve fallen into about 5th place when it comes to local sports coverage and zero national coverage.
I’m not in agreement with you here either Joe. Mean no offense with my disagreement, I hope you know. Different perspectives.

We were two December possessions from making the NYE SDSU game our highest attendance since the AZ game in 2014. Two possessions. And we’ve been bad for a decade.

I think Vegas is just a lot different now than it was three, or even two decades ago, and that matters a lot as relates to the attendance barometer you refer to. Sports fans certainly have more options here today, but the fact is there are a lot more potential ticket buyers than in the heyday. Completely different landscape and world now.

I imagine all you guys who were fortunate enough to see those great teams play live in a relative small-town environment where you knew probably hundreds of the regulars personally, found it glorious. I’m sure it was and I wish I was old enough to have been there. Obviously that feeling is probably never coming back. The next time the Rebels sell out a game I don’t think it will be because the ”regulars” who used to come, return. Some surely will, but I think most will be new fans, ie: people who have moved here over the last couple decades. younger adults & alumni. Those fans don’t need the rebels to live up to the same expectations you hold to find the product enjoyable. All they really need is a ranked team, or even fringe ranked team would probably do it. Literally two December balls bounce differently and we’d have seen that this year, for at least a week or two in January before the wheels fell off (which I freely admit they probably would have).

Last edited:
I agree, Jackie is sized to be a role player at this level. That was always about the extent of my expectations for him, especially as a Sophomore.

Do you think he has any room to improve if we kept him around for another two years? Personally, I do. Maybe he’s never a season-long starter, but I could see him as an asset and continuity builder if he spends a couple/few years here.

Last edited:
Clearly you and some others here feel that way. I and I think a lot of others who don’t post here daily, don’t agree. Nothing wrong with that 😁🤙🏼
With all do respect i am as big as a homer as they come and i can see that i am in the majority 90% plus percent that knows things have to change and change drastically in the offseason or we are possibly in for one of the worst years EVER in UNLV history next year or just another pathetic year. Minus Harkless we would have lost 5 MORE games minimum.

With all do respect i am as big as a homer as they come and i can see that i am in the majority 90% plus percent that knows things have to change and change drastically in the offseason or we are possibly in for one of the worst years EVER in UNLV history next year or just another pathetic year. Minus Harkless we would have lost 5 MORE games minimum.
Ha! Ok then. If you think you’re the 90% majority, I’m certainly not going to try to convince you otherwise. We clearly don’t talk to the same people. Agree to disagree 😁

For just a little context, I communicate with many of the 267 who liked this tweet in the last 24 hours who feel exactly as I (and he) do.

@Rebel_Luv I note this respectfully. I’m not here to tell you you’re wrong or contribute to this being a flame board. Respect your opinion, even if I disagree. I’m very much a Rebel homer as well and I fully acknowledge it. Quite proud to be.

Last edited:
Garbage basketball to even the most homer of eyes. It’s not even about neither team playing well, they both were abysmal. AFA runs some stuff, but they have zero talent. UNLV has far more talent than AFA, but they are rudderless and purposeless. It’s going through the motions, playing out the string until season’s end and then the player carousel comes and UNLV tries to plug and play with new faces.

It’s a terrible cycle.
I'd take number 3 on the falcons !

I’m not in agreement with you here either Joe. Mean no offense with my disagreement, I hope you know. Different perspectives.

We were two December possessions from making the NYE SDSU game our highest attendance since the AZ game in 2014. Two possessions. And we’ve been bad for a decade.

I think Vegas is just a lot different now than it was three, or even two decades ago, and that matters a lot as relates to the attendance barometer you refer to. Sports fans certainly have more options here today, but the fact is there are a lot more potential ticket buyers than in the heyday. Completely different landscape and world now.

I imagine all you guys who were fortunate enough to see those great teams play live in a relative small-town environment where you knew probably hundreds of the regulars personally, found it glorious. I’m sure it was and I wish I was old enough to have been there. Obviously that feeling is probably never coming back. The next time the Rebels sell out a game I don’t think it will be because the ”regulars” who used to come, return. Some surely will, but I think most will be new fans, ie: people who have moved here over the last couple decades. younger adults & alumni. Those fans don’t need the rebels to live up to the same expectations you hold to find the product enjoyable. All they really need is a ranked team, or even fringe ranked team would probably do it. Literally two December balls bounce differently and we’d have seen that this year, for at least a week or two in January before the wheels fell off (which I freely admit they probably would have).
I’ve never minded differing perspectives, I welcome them. Always have.

And if UNLV does “get it back”, it’d largely be new fans. And those newer fans will have much lower expectations. The older fans do have higher expectations, always have (too high, imo, myself included).

With new fans, it will be much easier to “succeed” because it’s not difficult to get past a low bar. Had this team finished 11-7 in conf and made the NIT, many fans would be happy. Where as older fans like me, I wouldn’t be excited but I’d deem it “acceptable”, btw, that’s what I expected this season, somewhere there abouts, obviously we are far, far short of that so it’s a very disappointing year to me so far.

And while you can say two plays in December would have made a difference - and I agree - you can also say if AFA could make a simple inbound play or if Dayton wasn’t so banged up or if Reno didn’t have their worst game of the year … it could be much worse. The if game usually comes out pretty even in the wash.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
Did not know that, so that is part of the reason, but it does seem that the spark has disappeared that they had in the first half of the season. I just hope Kruger can recruit some offensive players for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT