ADVERTISEMENT

AD Search

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
http://www.scout.com/college/unlv/story/1762889-has-a-front-runner-emerged-for-ad-at-unlv

Hell yeah!
brian-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
These 2 jump out at me the most. To be honest I know nothing about these candidates other than what is written in this article and the bio's that I linked.

Josh Rebholz, UCLA senior associate athletic director, external relations. Helps oversee an athletic department that generates close to $100 million in annual revenue, and since being hired in 2011, has increased the number of those donating at least $25,000 each year from 16 to more than 220. Was a finalist for the AD job at San Diego State, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune

Bio

Mike Ketcham, Arizona senior associate athletic director. Among responsibilities are the daily operations of men’s basketball and football, which includes handling budgets and fundraising. Was an integral part of a $72 million campaign for a football facility and a $30 million campaign for renovations to McKale Center. Also was the men’s golf coach at San Jose State in 1994-96.

Bio

I like the idea of guys with some Pac 12 experience that have a track record of raising funds. That seems to be our two most important goals in moving the program forward.

Josh Rebholz, UCLA senior associate athletic director, external relations. Helps oversee an athletic department that generates close to $100 million in annual revenue, and since being hired in 2011, has increased the number of those donating at least $25,000 each year from 16 to more than 220. Was a finalist for the AD job at San Diego State, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune
(Due to humor translating poorly over the Net, I feel I must point out that this is not a serious post):cool2:

I reluctantly admit that looking over that list, I was also drawn to Josh Rebholz. Not for anything that stood out in his résumé. But rather because his name sounds Jewish to me. Before I get accused of some stereotypical anti-Semitism, please note that I was raised a Jew.

And perhaps I’m wrong about him. But we Chosen Ones, after all, are known for our proficiency in handling money matters. We’re not great athletes, but we have been known to run up the score at the bank. Does this make me a terrible person? I hope not. Does it make Mr Rebholz the right man for the job? I think it’s a good start.

But I want Mark Warkentien to get the gig. However, should he not be the selection, I’m tossing my yarmulke into the ring for Josh Rebholz. Shalom…

voice-emojis-15_b_hasidic_man2-joerocco.png

Go Rebels!

Assuming the people running the search are doing their job responsibly, the names of actual real candidates ought to stay secret. With that said, history makes it unlikely that the search will be done responsibly and competently. Consequently, when the press conference is arranged to introduce the new AD, I would not be surprised in the least if the new AD is not one of the names listed in the RJ today.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
We try to hire an AD - we offer him/her a lot of money and they go back to their school and leverage it for a new contract. We then hire an up and comer and he/she leaves within two weeks for Texas Tech. We then settle for the last option on the list and their first year on the job becomes the worst financial disaster in school history. That's what will happen

We try to hire an AD - we offer him/her a lot of money and they go back to their school and leverage it for a new contract. We then hire an up and comer and he/she leaves within two weeks for Texas Tech. We then settle for the last option on the list and their first year on the job becomes the worst financial disaster in school history. That's what will happen

Whom should the Rebs hire?

Whom should the Rebs hire?
Reverting to the article that inspired my starting this thread, why not Mark Warkentien?

I’m obviously drawn to him because of his ties to Tark and the Rebel teams of the glory years. But an examination of his résumé since he moved on from UNLV, shows some pretty impressive credentials.

“Currently the New York Knicks Pro Personnel Director, Mark was Interim GM for the Cavaliers, was Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Denver Nuggets” and he was recognized as NBA Executive of the Year in 2008-09. That sounds like the experience of a candidate that we should consider ourselves lucky to have in the running.

Warkentien’s ties to the school, and the community make him an excellent choice for the position. Remember, his daughter has continued to be associated with the basketball program. Everything about Mark’s career says that he would be the perfect fit for the job. Instead of hiring someone who would prefer to be working in the PAC-12, or some other P5 location, I say, let’s go with Mark Warkentien.

picture-1960-1484674840.jpg

Go Rebels!

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
He may or may not be a good fit. From what I know of his past history and career, I think he could be a great fit, and because of his daughter still being at UNLV, I think he would be far more likely to show loyalty to the school. But, what I do not know, is whether he is interested in the job, is he looking long term or short term (we need someone who is willing to stay long term), is he willing and able to bring in new money to help build football into a P5 candidate program, rebuild the basketball program, etc.

I guess we will just be in a hurry up and wait to see who they have as the final AD short list.

Maybe we could see if TKM would stay around for a few more years. There are rumors going around that the board of regents members from up north have been working with unr to help keep her on board at UNLV. She has done a great job in developing the community college of northern Nevada athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT