ADVERTISEMENT

ABOUT THAT MONEY...

Forget the debt for now. Use the money first to get Odom to stay. Get him up to $3,000,000 per year. Get the buy out if someone tries to steal him to like $15,000,000 to make it so we have money to hire a good coach if Odom leaves for somewhere else.
Next hire a real basketball coach and hopefully we start playing basketball again.
Start winning and fans will return and more money will come in and then pay off debt.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I was talking about SMU specifically. Their reduction of the exit fees was not much, but there was still a reduction.

They are doing just fine, to be willing to pay 25 million to play in the ACC for free.

PacSuns: Well either they are flush with cash or they aren't.

They have over 200 mil in their war chest, but if all that money was available why not help pay all of the exit fees to get the conference that you want?

Or they are heavy in debt, which is why they aren't paying everyone's fees.

Even PAC officials have said it's 'not a war chest'.

I said in an earlier post I have a character flaw where I tend to underestimate how dumb people can be.

I thought no way the PAC and those that joined would possibly do so without being 99.99% sure they could lock down their targeted schools.

And yet it appears, they were either played by the AAC schools.

Or their 'war chest' / coffers aren't as full as people believe.

Why low ball the AAC schools. Memphis AD basically said what was offered wasn't close.

Even PAC officials have said it's 'not a war chest'.

I said in an earlier post I have a character flaw where I tend to underestimate how dumb people can be.

I thought no way the PAC and those that joined would possibly do so without being 99.99% sure they could lock down their targeted schools.

And yet it appears, they were either played by the AAC schools.

Or their 'war chest' / coffers aren't as full as people believe.

Why low ball the AAC schools. Memphis AD basically said what was offered wasn't close.
WSU and OSU are deeply in debt to the tune of over $145m. WSU alone carries $100m of that. Some of the war chest could have gone to paying it down and restructuring.

If we leave AF leaves, Hawaii is gone and the MWC whether becomes a shell of itself or dissolves
Yeah… I get that part… though there was still the issue everyone having to pay those exit fees if they were to leave.

Like they would have theoretically always been there til the last team or two, or whatever was standing.

Go back to the “bonuses” for a second… the whole idea is silly because it’s all their money anyway… the only teams getting a bonus are AF and UNLV.

For the sake of math let’s say the whole final amount is $100 million… I personally don’t think they’ll collect all of it but that’s for another discussion.

UNLV and AFA will be getting a “bonus” of $13 million each more than all the others.

It almost makes me think that any PAC offer had to be terrible… like maybe worse than not helping with exit fees. Because I guess if you’re UNLV you look at it as a more than $31 million bonus or maybe more. Save $18 million, bonus of $13 million = $31 million difference to stay.

Might be slightly more if they collect more or if UNLV and AFA told those hosers they want a bigger share of the next media deal as well.

Maybe it makes sense. I don’t love it though but maybe it’s best for UNLV.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I am about to concede my defeat.

You may have been right on this being the right play.
I agree with you that going to the Pac was the better option. But I really want to know what they offered UNLV. If their offer was mediocre for a school they actually wanted; how bad could it have been for us?

I still think that this is an alright short term play; but a terrible long term play. I m NOT excited to see UNLV do a head coaching reunion match up of Hauck and Sanchez.

There was no reduction at all for SMU. It was a 100% negotiated deal, as per the AAC bylaws. They didn't meet the 27 month notice, which would require a $10 million buyout. They settled for paying $24 million
Again if you look at all of the conference realignment, SMU is an outlier.
They also agreed to join a conference with zero media revenue.
SO hard to use them as an example.
Every other exit fee was agreed upon and "in their by laws" yet, no one outside of SMU paid the full amount. Though I thought I saw somewhere they did technically knock off about 5 million.
I don't know the specifics or the law with these things, I just know that the norm is that these things get negotiated down, and it is usually 50-60%,
'What reagan said about having them pay up front in a lump sum vs over time as it is laid out in the contract makes sense to me too.

Yeah… I get that part… though there was still the issue everyone having to pay those exit fees if they were to leave.

Like they would have theoretically always been there til the last team or two, or whatever was standing.

Go back to the “bonuses” for a second… the whole idea is silly because it’s all their money anyway… the only teams getting a bonus are AF and UNLV.

For the sake of math let’s say the whole final amount is $100 million… I personally don’t think they’ll collect all of it but that’s for another discussion.

UNLV and AFA will be getting a “bonus” of $13 million each more than all the others.

It almost makes me think that any PAC offer had to be terrible… like maybe worse than not helping with exit fees. Because I guess if you’re UNLV you look at it as a more than $31 million bonus or maybe more. Save $18 million, bonus of $13 million = $31 million difference to stay.

Might be slightly more if they collect more or if UNLV and AFA told those hosers they want a bigger share of the next media deal as well.

Maybe it makes sense. I don’t love it though but maybe it’s best for UNLV.

Well if the Memphis offer was terrible imagine what UNLV was offered..

Well if the Memphis offer was terrible imagine what UNLV was offered..

Agreed. Supposedly the PAC offered those schools 2.5 million towards their buyouts, which were expected to be somewhere in the 15-25 million. Plus, you have no media agreement to be able to sell them on. The PAC guys still think they're going to get 12-15 million per school per year.

Agreed. Supposedly the PAC offered those schools 2.5 million towards their buyouts, which were expected to be somewhere in the 15-25 million. Plus, you have no media agreement to be able to sell them on. The PAC guys still think they're going to get 12-15 million per school per year.

I'm not so sure they think that now...

I'm looking across conferences and I can't see anything out there that gets them to that number.

And being stuck at 8 for football is awful.

That's another OOC game you have to find.

Yes. That's why they went to the Pac 2. They agreed to cover all fees. Then they tried to low ball everyone else instead offering estimated media payouts that exceeded current deals. Now they're trying to get out of half of those fees... it's dumb buisness
Exactly where do you get this info that the Pac-2 agreed to cover "all fees" for the Traitorous 4?

NIU would be a good add for football as of today anyway. Those two are better than the Dakotas, Montana or UTEP. They need two I would add NMSU and Texas State (their attendance is at least MWC range).

And they are trying to build up football.

Also despite smallish immediate market it is 7th largest school in Texas based on enrollment.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
NIU would be a good add for football as of today anyway. Those two are better than the Dakotas, Montana or UTEP. They need two I would add NMSU and Texas State (their attendance is at least MWC range).

Been a decent program. Toledo hasn't been all that bad either.

I mean it almost feels like a blind fold throw darts at a map..

Thunk. Thunk.

Let's see what we got here...

Really left field.

Been a decent program. Toledo hasn't been all that bad either.

I mean it almost feels like a blind fold throw darts at a map..

Thunk. Thunk.

Let's see what we got here...

Really left field.
They probably did a Google search "What CFB teams in these conferences...have the best record the last 10 years."

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
They probably did a Google search "What CFB teams in these conferences...have the best record the last 10 years."

Still. need 2 full time members though.

Get those 2 for football.

Add La Tech, NMSU, Texas State Utep as all sports?

I'd be feeling a lot better than I was yesterday.

I know none of those are overly exciting.

Exactly where do you get this info that the Pac-2 agreed to cover "all fees" for the Traitorous 4?
There was a behind the scenes article 2 days after the original announcement The article said the firm used to vet candidates told them the Pac 12 as part of the offer to join would cover their exit fees.... now there's nothing explicitly written in stone but if that was an insider report of how things went down, I'd believe it...

Still. need 2 full time members though.

Get those 2 for football.

Add La Tech, NMSU, Texas State Utep as all sports?

I'd be feeling a lot better than I was yesterday.

I know none of those are overly exciting.
I don't love UTEP I look at that empty stadium and wonder what they bring. I mean besides a dust filled cow town.

I don't love UTEP I look at that empty stadium and wonder what they bring. I mean besides a dust filled cow town.

I'm not enamored myself but regionally makes sense of you could add Texas State as well along with UTEP.

Better way to put it.

Not my first choice but if you can add Toledo NIU (or something like that) for football only and then fill in the needed 2 with UTEP/NMSU/TEXAS STATE to get to your 8 all sports I'm OK with it.

I'm not enamored myself but regionally makes sense of you could add Texas State as well along with UTEP.

Better way to put it.

Not my first choice but if you can add Toledo NIU (or something like that) for football only and then fill in the needed 2 with UTEP/NMSU/TEXAS STATE to get to your 8 all sports I'm OK with it.
Plus you basically undercut the Temu 12...

Debt: In September 2024, UNLV was reported to have a debt of $20.6 million in its athletic department.

So basically we are going to pay off our debt.

Which is good.

Not sure the remaining 5 million will be enough to lock up Odom long term, and position ourselves for the BIG12 and also improve our NIL packages..

Is there more money coming down the road?
Not sure how UNLV could go from an athletic department surplus to a debt in 1-2 years? Football ticket sales are way up, so what else could possible cause that type of debt?

There was a behind the scenes article 2 days after the original announcement The article said the firm used to vet candidates told them the Pac 12 as part of the offer to join would cover their exit fees.... now there's nothing explicitly written in stone but if that was an insider report of how things went down, I'd believe it...

Well not quite what the article says, but I get you. I had read that article previously. Hard to believe though, that the Pac would cover most or all of the Traitors exit fees then only offer Memphis, etc. $2.5M. But then our Commissioner is an idiot.

Per the article:

"At the time, the idea that in less than a year the Pac-12 would be willing to pay roughly $115 million for one-third of the Mountain West seemed unrealistic.

The Pac-12 would be willing to help fund the exit fees, the schools were told, which took away the primary risk factor"

Well not quite what the article says, but I get you. I had read that article previously. Hard to believe though, that the Pac would cover most or all of the Traitors exit fees then only offer Memphis, etc. $2.5M. But then our Commissioner is an idiot.

Per the article:

"At the time, the idea that in less than a year the Pac-12 would be willing to pay roughly $115 million for one-third of the Mountain West seemed unrealistic.

The Pac-12 would be willing to help fund the exit fees, the schools were told, which took away the primary risk factor"
I guess you have to look at it with this perspective... what do you have to offer Boise and SDSU to form a real core to attract the next tier and that meant going strong after the first 4- offer to cover all the fees. Then they thought more programs would shake loose and MWC crumbles = no fees... so you low ball Memphis and hope they wanted to come play in your hopefully strong top to bottom conference as a move up rather than status quo... but your commissioner hasn't exactly shown savy here so who knows

I read it early on. It was from a post that referenced a Reno newspaper story sitting behind a paywall. Not sure if it was on here or the MW board.

I'm not so sure they think that now...

I'm looking across conferences and I can't see anything out there that gets them to that number.

And being stuck at 8 for football is awful.

That's another OOC game you have to find.
I would be surprised if they got over $6m with what they have now. Its all calculus. Potential market media, and area size is nice; but you still need to be able to pull in the views. Need to have compelling enough games to get national attention.

Right now, none of the schools in either conference has that outside of their local fan bases; besides a niche of alumni spread across the world in Air Force. Even then, its not like Air Force is graduating tens of thousands every year.

Forget the debt for now. Use the money first to get Odom to stay. Get him up to $3,000,000 per year. Get the buy out if someone tries to steal him to like $15,000,000 to make it so we have money to hire a good coach if Odom leaves for somewhere else.
Next hire a real basketball coach and hopefully we start playing basketball again.
Start winning and fans will return and more money will come in and then pay off debt.
Profitable football AND basketball programs would do wonders for UNLV athletics. I don’t think we’ve ever really had both. If Harp can pull that off plus the extra cash from the MWC we could be in a very good place and well positioned for a potential P4 invite down the road or at worst the PAC begs us to join.

“We didn’t take this deal because we don’t think less of ourselves” sums up exactly what UNLV would have been doing by joining the temupac12. UNLV actually showed some leadership acuity.

We'll all know if the right decision was made in a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT