ADVERTISEMENT

A major concern

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
What we’ve been doing the past couple of years isn’t remotely close to working even a little bit. Doesn’t matter if you think KK should be fired or given an extension. You can’t tell me that nearly every aspect of our total game isn’t disjointed for large portions of games unless we play a JV squad. Your eyes aren’t deceiving you though your brain may be.

I’m hopeful that CKK is reassessing everything about his approach to this program because what’s being done isn’t working. It’s just not. It shouldn’t work to a degree for Miles but not here. It shouldn’t work for a large degree for Odom but not here. Odom did step into something mediocre but stable. Miles stepped into a team that existed in name only.

He has resources, he has his dad who should be a fantastic mentor, though Lon really never had to deal with the portal to this level. And that’s something new. But the guy knows program building and stability.

Now I’m not as close as I used to be, some contacts have fallen by the wayside because they don’t care anymore, they don’t want to waste time and energy any longer. Still some remain. Anyway, I’m hearing that there is a high level of stubbornness, doing it my way, I know how this needs to go …. And that’s great if it’s working, it’s the best way to establish a new foundation and identity. If it’s not working, it’s a problem. A great strength can be taking the right advice and implementing it.

In a way, it reminds me of Marcus Banks. Nobody could tell him what to do, and I mean nobody. He was going to do it his way. He couldn’t be budged from that. Not even by the NBA coaches. As stubborn as a player can be. So did it work? Well, he was a lottery pick, he made his money, he didn’t compromise what he believed in and he “made it”. Would he have been a better player and lasted longer if he was more coachable? I think so but can’t be sure, but in the end, he did it his way and found success. I feel like his strong stubbornness was his greatest strength (he was slighted as a Vegas prep kid) and it was his greatness weakness.

My guess is if we don’t see some rather large changes … and we keep using the same philosophy through recruiting, offensive and defensive schemes, scheduling … we are going to have results in a similar zip code. Which I can’t see heading into year four. I feel like it’s now or never for KK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News