ADVERTISEMENT

A Lot can change but..

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
A lot can change over the next few weeks. Jobs will start to open. Rumors will start to swirl. Odom's name is going to pop up, There will likely be some openings at schools capable of backing up the Brinks truck. (Baylor for example).

But this clip doesn't sound like a guy with one foot out the door.

Again money talks, prestige talks, NIL potential talks. So things can change. But I think we get one more year out of Odom.

Hard to say what’s going to happen. We’re in uncharted territory as a program. Either way, nobody will fault Odom for passing up a gigantic contract at Baylor or any other big school. Odom also knows he has an opportunity to create his own legacy here.

I think we get another year or two out of Odom to see if we can make it to the Big12.

While the money will be there with any job that comes calling, it wouldnt be the reason he leaves. That's why there are very few spots that are real threats to him leaving for.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Unless Baylor paying 8 and up, it's not job to take.

Under Briles Baylor won 11 games twice and 10 games 3 times and were in and out of the top ten. They have solid booster support and the BIG12 is down right now after losing OU and Texas.

Baylor comes calling you absolutely are listening to what they have to offer.

Reactions: UNLVINMD
Hard to say what’s going to happen. We’re in uncharted territory as a program. Either way, nobody will fault Odom for passing up a gigantic contract at Baylor or any other big school. Odom also knows he has an opportunity to create his own legacy here.

I think we get another year or two out of Odom to see if we can make it to the Big12.

I'm really hoping that Harper and UNLV legitimately feel a BIG12 invite is possible/in the works, otherwise you're right 1 possibly 2 years is the most we'll get out of him.

Under Briles Baylor won 11 games twice and 10 games 3 times and were in and out of the top ten. They have solid booster support and the BIG12 is down right now after losing OU and Texas.

Baylor comes calling you absolutely are listening to what they have to offer.
It can be done, it's like Florida, they have 3 NC in the last 25 yrs, the other 70 yrs they are mid at best SEC. Big 12 is water down in football now without TX/OK, I listen but it's not great football school.
Having good coach at UNLV you will win, MWC smells like Vegas wash at silver bowl when you got perfect breeze, Holly weeeeze lol

While a BSU win would have elevated CBO’s stock with top programs, it also would have moved us a peg on the Big12 invite board. We’ve got to start winning some of these bigger games.

While a BSU win would have elevated CBO’s stock with top programs, it also would have moved us a peg on the Big12 invite board. We’ve got to start winning some of these bigger games.
It takes a lot to get over that hump to "elite"... years of ineptitude still show up in programs trying to get a signature win or that next level W. We shot ourselves in the foot when we could've put the game away at times.
I watch Kansas and they did the same thing last night. Had KSU beat, QB tried to do to much, fumbles for no reason with 3 minutes left in game up 1...both just can't get over that next step of winning a really big game. when they do, eventually it'll be doing it consistently but it takes just feeling that "we can win this game" moment to do it.

Fans showing up with support, that's huge, UNLV needs to avg 40 and over.
Winning is coming

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
Our current attendance is most likely a momentary illusion. I think we can do well with attendance until the traitors split away. But after that it will be almost impossible. New Mexico, AF , Wyoming and UTEP will not generate the interest needed to get to 40K. It will be back to the mid 20's ( AT BEST) - if we are winning. There could be a couple of OOC games that could generate attendance, but that will depend on where the P4 conferences go. If they completely split away from the have not's then we'll be truly in trouble.

Our new conference will be somewhat better than Conference USA - but not by much. Conference USA averaged 15,600 attendance last year. For us to get to the low 30's we'd have to double that. I don't see it.

The traitors leaving well and truly screwed us. However much you hate them, it isn't enough.

Our current attendance is most likely a momentary illusion. I think we can do well with attendance until the traitors split away. But after that it will be almost impossible. New Mexico, AF , Wyoming and UTEP will not generate the interest needed to get to 40K. It will be back to the mid 20's ( AT BEST) - if we are winning. There could be a couple of OOC games that could generate attendance, but that will depend on where the P4 conferences go. If they completely split away from the have not's then we'll be truly in trouble.

Our new conference will be somewhat better than Conference USA - but not by much. Conference USA averaged 15,600 attendance last year. For us to get to the low 30's we'd have to double that. I don't see it.

The traitors leaving well and truly screwed us. However much you hate them, it isn't enough.

People cant say everything is going to be fine.

Because in one breathe they say..

'An undefeated Liberty (or any other G5 school outside the MWC) shouldn't get in over a 1 loss UNLV or Boise.

And in the next breath say.

'Odom is going to stay because he knows it's an easy path to playoffs because we'll dominate the new MWC' Sure that part might be true but the MWC is essentially going to slot somewhere between CUSA and the MAC.

UNLV will have to schedule way up OOC to make up the difference of the softer conference schedule. And will likely have to take a lot of those games on the road.

Outside of Reno and Hawaii home games attendance is going to take a pretty big hit.

All that said the PAC isn't exactly sitting pretty right now either. The Gonzaga move may bite them in the ass. Whatever media contract they get will have to be divided by one extra because they gave Gonzaga a full share. If I'm St Mary's I 100% demand the same deal.

The PAC was touting a potential 12-15 million dollar media deal. If they had that locked up then why the new delay? 12 million per is double the money for SDSU/FRESNO/USU/CSU. (I think Boise was getting 7 million before) If that 12 million was a lock you go grab Texas State or NMSU or whoever and call it a day.

The PAC overestimated their 'brand'. Memphis very well may end up joining the PAC but I'm not sure 12 million per school is achievable. And even if it is, does a bump of 3 million a year cover all the rebranding and travel costs that Memphis would accrue? I don't know.

OSU and WSU both are use to operating on media deals North of 20 million dollars. I think they may find life in the G6 a little more difficult than they anticipated.

All of it is a mess.

What is he getting here 2 or 3 mil a year? Any P4 school offering 5 mil or more he would probably take it. You don't pass up doubling your salary at bigger better company. I really hope UNLV has a ace up their sleeve to keep him

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
What is he getting here 2 or 3 mil a year? Any P4 school offering 5 mil or more he would probably take it. You don't pass up doubling your salary at bigger better company. I really hope UNLV has a ace up their sleeve to keep him
Yes you do. He's been there. Got fired from his dream job. It's not just about money to him, that's been his story since choosing UNLV.

If he can’t live comfortably on $2 million per year then he needs to work with me. I forget what percentage of growth @reagan21 promised he’d get for investing into an annuity, but I’ll just tell Odom, “Trust me, bro” and seal the deal!

If he can’t live comfortably on $2 million per year then he needs to work with me. I forget what percentage of growth @reagan21 promised he’d get for investing into an annuity, but I’ll just tell Odom, “Trust me, bro” and seal the deal!
BC, is that 12% dividend for real?

BC, is that 12% dividend for real?
Only if something is a guaranteed rate can any financial professional claim what the rate will be. Otherwise, we can only show you historical growth of an investment.

YTD the market is doing well but who knows about tomorrow and the day after that.

Only if something is a guaranteed rate can any financial professional claim what the rate will be. Otherwise, we can only show you historical growth of an investment.

YTD the market is doing well but who knows about tomorrow and the day after that.
You now sounding like ChatGPT

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
Yes you do. He's been there. Got fired from his dream job. It's not just about money to him, that's been his story since choosing UNLV.

That was his story looking at UNLV and what he thought he could accomplish at UNLV.

UNLV was also a member of one of if not the top G5 conferences in the country. That is no longer the case. Barring some surprise additions the MWC has been significantly reduced in prestige and depth within the conference.

If the argument for UNLV and Boise was they play a tougher schedule than Liberty or Army and Navy etc we can't turn around and say UNLV will just rule a depleted MWC and just waltz into the CFP. We lost two of the top fout teams in the conference. Another in SDSU that had been good until two years ago CAU has been .500ish and USU has won the conference recently. We replaced that with a UTEP squad that has been at or near the bottom of the weakest of the G5 conferences.

6 months ago I'd have 100% agreed I think he's here long term. Now I'm not so sure because the landscape has changed drastically..

Now if Harper/UNLV are in legitimate on going talks with the BIG12 and that's a real possibility, Hell yes he probably sticks around. Especially if it's sooner than later.

If not, his list of jobs he would consider has expanded.

Plus coaches aren't wired to shy away from challenges. You think Odom wouldn't look at Baylor and think he couldn't turn that around? While likely getting paid double what he's making now? Especially now with the BIG12 being depleted? That conference is wide open with Texas and OU gone.

I don't think 'any' but I do think the schools he'd consider has probably increased.

I've come around to UNLV deciding on sticking with the MWC. But it's not without a lot of its own shortcoming and potential pitfalls.

It doesn't matter what G5 conference you're in lmfao.

Yes it does in regards to getting into the CFP.

It absolutely matters because of strength of schedule.

A one loss Boise is getting in over a one loss Army/Toledo/Liberty etc because THE MWC is better than the MAC/CUSA/and probably the AAC.

G5's actually have a seat at the table in regards to the CFP.

Not to mention.

AAC - 9 MILLION per school media deal.

MWC - 5 million per school.

MAC - 2.5 million per school.

CUSA - 750K.

Now explain how conference doesn't matter. Because it sure as shit looks like it does to media execs. Pretty sure I'd rather be in the MWC than CUSA.

Seems like that extra 4 million would come in handy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT