ADVERTISEMENT

A difficult situation to tackle

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Anyone that was reasonable expected some pretty hefty struggles on court this season. We can argue until we are blue in the face about how many wins, how they should look, etc. What wasn't anticipated, however, was the level of drop at the gate. Well, not season ticket sales as much as what the actual attendance has been. They'll always announce tickets sold which is whatever, 10k? Anyone that's been to a game can see that aside from the KU game, it's been between 2K-4K. Around the concourse, two of every three, maybe three of every four concession stands is closed. Even with that many closed, if you want a beer or dog, you're first at the window when you walk up. And they close up early. Laws of supply and demand. There's no demand.

I'm hearing it has crippled and there's huge concern. What can marketing do moving forward? I know the motto at UNLV, aside from a few years under Livengood where marketing efforts were much bigger, has been "basketball takes care of itself, no need to market". I agree with that to a point. People in this town ain't showing if you ain't winning. And if you market and grab some people, if the experience isn't good, you've burned them and they'll be jaded moving forward.

It's reasonable to expect a drop in renewals again next season. Can't really schedule great games to get people out there because you need wins. But many of what's left aren't going to be fooled by padding with 8 wins vs the scrubbiest of scrubs.

What can be done short of winning, which might not happen at a high enough clip next year? There isn't a government bailout for these things. How much money reallocation can there be when there isn't much? Does the university itself divert money to the athletic department? I'd appreciate some insight because I do not know how these things are handled. If this is as real as I'm hearing, what is the answer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News