ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of different things. (Long)

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
A lot of ups and downs, a lot of hysteria, all within the past 10 days. Not even a couple of weeks after the NCAA championship.

Some are going to scoff at this and I don't care if you do. I know it to be absolutely true, so you can think I'm full of garbage, I don't care.

It shouldn't be this way, but the reality is what you say here and elsewhere online can have an impact. Way moreso than even five years ago. You can think that some players, recruits, families, boosters, etc, don't read. That's burying your head in the sand. Now should that change what you think? Absolutely not. But it should make you think before you post. There is an absolute responsibility when posting. Keyboard warrior garbage can be dangerous. Hey, I'm not immune to it - I rode Chris hard for a lack of focus all season long. And while I'm not saying a few hundred fans negative reactions tilted the scales completely, I'm positive it didn't help matters at all. Some people can slough that stuff off, others it consumes. So I feel we need to keep that in the forefront of our minds.

I can hear it now - it all goes away if you win! Well, we can't control what happens with the win/loss record, we can only control ourselves. But I can tell you that the negative vibe (fans booing, an online presence bashing everything, etc) has a negative impact. Now I'm not one of those rah-rah hunky dory guys when things are tough. But there are times when you have to bite your lip. And most of all, I feel fans support instead of becoming venomous. I don't know, maybe that's just me. She doesn't have to answer if she doesn't want to - and I don't want to force it out of her, but I wonder how the Zimm's felt about the fans, the way the administration acted, the boosters acted, etc. I guess it's a moot point since Stephen committed, but I'm willing to bet that UNLV got Stephen in spite of all the garbage - that it was taken as a huge minus when they were weighing to pros and cons of each school.

As far as GO goes, I'm hearing that a mountain is being made out of a molehill. Still, nothing would surprise me given what I know. I'm not saying there's nothing there - but a lot of it, in my opinion, is manufactured, it's backstabbing, it's orchestrated, it's the behind the scenes garbage that makes things nearly intolerable to me. I do expect him back, however. But things like that shouldn't take effort, either. I mean, my God, UNLV basketball over the past 10 years would make an incredible reality show. The jockeying, the alliances, the backstabbing, etc - it's like the TV show Big Brother (I wouldn't know, I don't watch that garbage, but when I get of the phone, that's what my girl says it sounds like).

I guess what I'm asking/hoping for is to think before you post, be more responsible. And being a little leery is probably wise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News