ADVERTISEMENT

News 76ers have signed Pat McCaw to a training camp contract

Couev

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2003
Indianapolis, Indiana

Sixers signed Patty McCaw as noted. The sixers right now are WAY over contracted. They are sitting at 18 contracts right now plus 2 training camp contracts (I follow the Sixers for reference), and I don't know that he'll make the squad unless the Sixers make a trade. Still nice to see a former Rebel make some NBA scratch, even if it's an exhibit 10 deal!

It's an early Christmas miracle! I didn't think McCaw would get a look from anyone at this stage but glad he's been given a shot. Happy for Hamilton too. What's Donovan Williams been up to?

I saw that BHam signed a contract with the Lakers as well.
Nice. I hate the Lakers but I will root for them against everyone if BHam on the team sans their game versus the Celtics.

Good for Bryce to get on that training camp roster. He doesn't have much of a chance to make the cut, but he will get his chance in the G league this year thats for sure

Good for Bryce to get on that training camp roster. He doesn't have much of a chance to make the cut, but he will get his chance in the G league this year thats for sure
That’s one of those cases where it would have probably been best to leave after his Jr year. He’d be at the same place but with a year of pay. He was great for us last year so of course it was a benefit for UNLV. For him? The gamble didn’t pay off, his game became stronger offensively but his overall game didn’t get broader.

That’s one of those cases where it would have probably been best to leave after his Jr year. He’d be at the same place but with a year of pay. He was great for us last year so of course it was a benefit for UNLV. For him? The gamble didn’t pay off, his game became stronger offensively but his overall game didn’t get broader.
The extra year let everyone know that he is NOT improving. It hurt him most definitely. He needed to add something to his game - he didn't - he needed to learn how to defend - his mindset is not that. Something is going to have to click, maybe a taste of the Goodlife will inspire him to make some changes..... Oh BTW My friend and buddy Ben Patrick was at an old SDSU players house the other day in Beverly Hills - watch out for the Clippers this year. KL is a worker - grinder- he is better than ever. Ben is in LA for another few weeks then he comes home to Florida. Pretty cool my own personal trainer (friend and mentor) trains the world's best athletes. He figures if he can train me to dunk @ 51 than everyone in the world will sign up for his training. I'm down for trying !!!

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
I don't know what you are talking about. I though Hamilton made a big leap his last year here. Became a better passer and a much more consistent shooter. Even less of a liability on defense.

Remember he tested the waters the previous year and came back for a reason.

Is he much better off for doing so? Maybe, maybe not. He may ultimately be in the same place once the season starts. But he wouldn't have made the summer league, he probably wouldn't have a pre season contract either.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I don't know what you are talking about. I though Hamilton made a big leap his last year here. Became a better passer and a much more consistent shooter. Even less of a liability on defense.

Remember he tested the waters the previous year and came back for a reason.

Is he much better off for doing so? Maybe, maybe not. He may ultimately be in the same place once the season starts. But he wouldn't have made the summer league, he probably wouldn't have a pre season contract either.
He elevated himself from a non-NBA pick and returned to school - and after finishing UNLV, he's a non-NBA pick that secured a light contract. Not saying that's bad ... But he didn't "improve" enough to make any real difference and HAD he stayed committed to not returning to UNLV - he may have signed the same type of contract? Or gone overseas, made a little money and ended up where he is at this moment anyway?

The way I see it, he probably lost a year of meager pay to end up where he is. And that's fine and dandy, maybe he valued his degree so you can't discount that. Aside from that potential benefit, I don't think there was much, if any at all.

He elevated himself from a non-NBA pick and returned to school - and after finishing UNLV, he's a non-NBA pick that secured a light contract. Not saying that's bad ... But he didn't "improve" enough to make any real difference and HAD he stayed committed to not returning to UNLV - he may have signed the same type of contract? Or gone overseas, made a little money and ended up where he is at this moment anyway?

The way I see it, he probably lost a year of meager pay to end up where he is. And that's fine and dandy, maybe he valued his degree so you can't discount that. Aside from that potential benefit, I don't think there was much, if any at all.

I get that. Like he said he may be in the same place ulitmately from where he would have been last year.

But he did get better, in ways that NBA people care about. And I think that opened more doors for him.

Making contacts, working out with teams, Summer league, etc gets him on the radar much better than none of that, going overseas and hoping to catch on after tearing it up elsewhere.

But again I don't know specifics. Maybe he would have all of those same opportunities last year. But, from afar it doesn't seem like it.

I like BHam. But I think his ceiling is a discount DeMar DeRozan, who in of himself is sort of a hotly debated player of wildly differing valuation and he's a long, long way from that ceiling. He's got a smooth athleticism, but had problems finishing around the cup in college which generally doesn't translate well to finishing in pro lanes. He improved his range from the outside, but still was only a 35% 3fg shooter in the MWC which doesn't sing to him being a pro offensive option. He improved on his defense and passing some, but is still incredibly left hand dominant on the dribble and didn't fare well when defenders took that away from him.

I personally think the extra year probably took a little money out of his pocket, but other than that didn't particularly help or hurt him as far as playing professionally. If he busts his ass and develops a crafty finishing game around the cup he will get an NBA contract because there is always room for a scorer on the bench. As thing stand right now he's a high volume low efficiency scorer from a mid-major conference without any particular quality that makes GMs salivate.

Compare him to someone like Rashad Vaughn. Vaughn was bigger, a better shooter, had more bounce, and was younger which gives him more of a 'potential' value. He washed out of the NBA in 3 years and after kicking around the G league for a year has bounced around the Greek and Ukrainian leagues where he's been a good but not great player and is currently not on a roster. He went 9th pick overall.

Compare him to Patty McCaw. Patty is bigger, a much better defender, a much more efficient scorer and shooter with more bounce and a better rebounder as well. And again, was much younger when he entered the professional era of his career. He was drafted 38th overall.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I like BHam. But I think his ceiling is a discount DeMar DeRozan, who in of himself is sort of a hotly debated player of wildly differing valuation and he's a long, long way from that ceiling. He's got a smooth athleticism, but had problems finishing around the cup in college which generally doesn't translate well to finishing in pro lanes. He improved his range from the outside, but still was only a 35% 3fg shooter in the MWC which doesn't sing to him being a pro offensive option. He improved on his defense and passing some, but is still incredibly left hand dominant on the dribble and didn't fare well when defenders took that away from him.

I personally think the extra year probably took a little money out of his pocket, but other than that didn't particularly help or hurt him as far as playing professionally. If he busts his ass and develops a crafty finishing game around the cup he will get an NBA contract because there is always room for a scorer on the bench. As thing stand right now he's a high volume low efficiency scorer from a mid-major conference without any particular quality that makes GMs salivate.

Compare him to someone like Rashad Vaughn. Vaughn was bigger, a better shooter, had more bounce, and was younger which gives him more of a 'potential' value. He washed out of the NBA in 3 years and after kicking around the G league for a year has bounced around the Greek and Ukrainian leagues where he's been a good but not great player and is currently not on a roster. He went 9th pick overall.

Compare him to Patty McCaw. Patty is bigger, a much better defender, a much more efficient scorer and shooter with more bounce and a better rebounder as well. And again, was much younger when he entered the professional era of his career. He was drafted 38th overall.
It's easier to be a brain surgeon than stick with the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT