ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Rebel Opponents: UPDATED 11/5

I dunno... that might be the game I feel BEST about from here out. I think that's mainly because of our improved defense.

Think about it. Through 4 games, how many times have you had that sinking feeling that we have no chance to stop the team in front of us? You know, the feeling that you got EVERY possession against most teams for the past 10 years...

Air Force is a one-trick pony, and I get the feeling that we shut it down pretty this year. Not to mention that the guys must be itching to avenge themselves from the debacle we saw last year.

AFA is always a tough opponent. Skipper may have not seen the triple option too many times at FLA. And if he did, he would have a huge talent advantage.

Defending AFA requires discipline at gap integrity and keeping assignments. Good thing about Skipper's defense is that we tend to be more aggressive. The bad thing is the triple option works the best against aggressive defenses.

Not that this defense can't do it, and I don't want to under sell Skipper's ability to do it. But it can be hard to reverse the mantra of your defense for one game. Especially if he doesn't have a lot of experience doing so.

Hopefully the offense has a few more things figured out by then.

Good points. I guess I’m just used to the defense looking foolish game after game after game... which continues into the AFA game, so now that our defense has showed signs of life, I’m optimistic it can shut down the quirky one. But you’re right, it is a different beast and it will be a new test for the D.

What stuck out from Week 5: I like seeing USC win again. Hawaii survives a 5OT scare at lowly San Jose State. Hawaii always seems to struggle a couple times on the road. But this oughta be a eye opener for the Rebels when we head to SJSU in a couple weeks. That team isn't throwing in the towel, and they are gonna give us their best shot. Fresno State looks really good: 49-27 over Toledo.

Week 6: Man, bye weeks are the worst. Especially when you're coming off a game that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully that frustration grows into some healthy energy for the early start against UNM. I HATE these afternoon games in September or early October in Vegas. It is always hot as balls and the energy is even lower than usual at SBS. However, as of right now, the forecasted high is 80 degrees. Hopefully that doesn't change.

I thought last week's slate of games for our opponents was pretty weak. This week there is a bit more intrigue. Utah State at BYU on Friday should be interesting. Obviously BYU is drastically improved from last year, but the Aggies have looked very strong. And in this rivalry game, crazy stuff has happened. SDSU at Boise St will be telling. I think SDSU is significantly weaker this year, and this game will be a good barometer. Kind of interesting that this is a 12:30 pm start time. This feels like it should be a 7:00 pm start time, but it gets started early in the day. We'll see. And finally Fresno travels to Reno for a road game. As of right now, Fresno is favored by 11, but you never know what happens on the road in the MW.

Hopefully that frustration grows into some healthy energy for the early start against UNM. I HATE these afternoon games in September or early October in Vegas. It is always hot as balls and the energy is even lower than usual at SBS. However, as of right now, the forecasted high is 80 degrees. Hopefully that doesn't change.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm really looking forward to Saturday's game. Like you mentioned, weather is going to be beautiful (upper 70s). Personally, I wished we had more day games (obviously later in the season is preferred).

Hopefully I'm not the only one looking forward to getting out there to support the team and enjoy the weather.

Reactions: khokhol8
Man, the UNM loss took the wind out of my sail and I didn't have the oomf to update this thread during the beatdowns. Went ahead and got it up to date over the weekend. Takeaways with 3 weeks left:

UTEP won!

If ever there was a year to beat USC, this was the one. Darn. We're obviously not in the place we hoped we would be.

Fresno State and Utah State. Geez. I realize that those are two programs who have had a lot more success at football than UNLV has ever had. I get it. But with that said, it sure sucks to see how they've freakin rocked it and gotten back to prominence and respectability. FSU was 3-9 in 2015; 1-11 in 2016; 9-4 in 2017; and now nationally ranked and on their way to 9+ wins. USU was 3-9 in 2016; 6-6 in 2017, and now on their way to 9+ wins.

The game this Friday (Fresno at Boise) should be a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT