ADVERTISEMENT

Zimm

Why all the ass kissing of this kid? He is good, but it's not as if he is the next Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol...etc. . For that matter, I'm not even sure he is the next Anthony Bennett.

He is a god player, but has ALOT of work to do to be a dominant player in the MWC and D1 college basketball.

His weaknesses were VERY EVIDENT in a 75-45 loss to Chicago Simeon, in a game that was televised. The lack of quickness really hurt him against Simeon.

Neither Zimmerman or Jeter were able to use their distinct size advantage to score against Simeon. They both looked woefully slow, as did the entire team compared to the undersized, by extremely quick and aggressive Simeon. And, I'm not sold on Zimmerman defensively. Easy to be dominant defensively when having a 5,6,7" height advantage. What is going to happen when he tries to guard guys that are 6'8" or 6'9" and have enough muscle and skill to post him up, and use their skill, strength and even quickness to have their way with Zimmerman? Let alone when he faces guys 6'10" and taller with skill and strength.

Then there was the 76-57 loss to Montverde. Ben Simmons, a 6'8" player who has signed with LSU scored 36 points and had 15 rebounds. He shot 62% from the field(15-23), and EVERY made basket was a layup or dunk. Zimmerman had 8 points and 8 rebounds...Jeter had 6 points and 4 rebounds. And, it is wayy to easy to blame the BG guards for the lack of scoring on the part of Zimmerman and Jeter, and also the way Simmons dominated the TRIO of players BG has that are 6'10" or taller. Zimmerman was 1-6 from the field. Charles O'Bannon Jr was the only player for BG that stepped up, scoring 22 points. Then again, O'Bannon Jr has the skill and athleticism to create his own shots, something lacking with Zimmerman.

The lack of quickness would not be such a big issue if Zimmerman was a kid with a big body, who would go post and then use his strength to score, the way Ben Simmons does for Montverde. But, he plays more like a guard in a 7' body. And, if he has trouble with the quickness of high school teams, what will things be like when playing at a high level of Division 1 college?

Lastly, he is 18. If he needs to have his ass kissed massively by UNLV fans, then the kids and/or his family likely have some major issues that will result in Zimmerman being a distraction to a college team, unless he is at a lower tier Di school, or a low quality upper D1 school and can have everything run through him on offense.

This post was edited on 2/18 1:04 PM by GoRebs!

I'm not saying do not recruit Zimmerman. I'm saying why do UNLV fans have to go watch the kid play for BG? He is good, but he has alot of flaws in his game and alot of areas in which to improve. And, given he is 7'0" and can shoot from outside and handles the ball good for 7', he may well be one and done anyway. That is fine, except he is not good enough to carry UNLV to 25-26 wins next year. NBA executives go ga-ga over guys like this for some reason. It happened with Bennett, and he has not played very good so far in his first 2 years in the NBA. To me, he was not yer ready for the NBA. But, I do not blame him for leaving. He ended up being the #1 draft pick, and he has already made more money than most people will come close to making in a lifetime. And, teams will keep giving him a chance as long as he is healthy. I mean, look at how Miami signed Greg Oden last year.

NBA Teams are always drafting guys who are no where close to ready for the NBA. But, alot of NBA coaches and GM's are arrogant and believe they can turn guys into players, even if they lack the talent, or if they are not yet physically and mentally ready, and also would be better served playing another 1-2 years in college.

Again, not saying to not recruit Zimmerman. Just saying I do not understand the infatuation with him, and people feeling a need to kiss his ass.

This post was edited on 2/18 1:58 PM by GoRebs!

Who wants a 7 Footer that can run the floor, has great vision and is one of the best passing big man in HS. Not to mention he works his butt off to make himself a better player.

GoRebs! should change his handle to that of his favorite dining establishment, GoGoldenCorral!

First of all GoRebs! is a SHE

Second, I NEVER go to Golden Corral

Third, why the need to call me a d-bag?

Fourth, I never said for UNLV to not recruit Zimmerman. I just do not see reason to kiss the kids behind, and I'm not convinced he will be an impact player. I think he could become a very good player in college if he stays 3-4 years. But, he does not have the skill level, quickness or strength to dominate at the D1 college level next year, especially not in a conference like the MWC, and then in non-conference games against teams like Arizona, ASU, Duke, Kansas and teams of that ilk.

People can disagree with me. That is fine. I just do not see the reason or need for name calling or personal attacks. I'm NOT attacking other people posting on this discussion or this site. And, I'm not attacking Zimmerman as a person. Just giving my opinions of him as a basketball player.

It isn't kissing the kid's ass to love him. Many of us have followed him from an early age, and have come to love him, his mom and his bad - assed sister. Frankly, im not sure unlv is right for him and vice versa, but im gonna "kiss his butt" and roor for him to succeed wherever he lands.

If you have followed him from an early age, and gotten to know him and his family then that is a different story. And, it's nice to know you plan to continue to follow him and support him, whether or not he signs with UNLV. I like that!!

How many times have you seen the kid play live go rebs? The biggest schools in the country think this kid will be an impact player. If you want to see arse kissing of Big Z go to the Kentucky site.

I'LL RESPOND IN BOLD. NO OFFENSE, BUT I FOUND YOUR POST TO BE A COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE.

-----
Originally posted by GoRebs!:
Why all the ass kissing of this kid?
NOBODY IS ASS KISSING. WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

He is good, but it's not as if he is the next Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol...etc. .
OH, SO HES NOT AN NBA ALL STAR. GREAT POINT. :/

For that matter, I'm not even sure he is the next Anthony Bennett.
SOMETHING WRONG WITH BEING AB? AND FURTHER, WHY COMPARE HIM TO A FORMER #1 OVERALL NBA DRAFT PICK?

He is a god player, but has ALOT of work to do to be a dominant player in the MWC and D1 college basketball.
AS DOES MOST EVERY OTHER 18 YEAROLD ON THE PLANET. AGAIN, GREAT POINT. :/

His weaknesses were VERY EVIDENT in a 75-45 loss to Chicago Simeon, in a game that was televised. The lack of quickness really hurt him against Simeon. Neither Zimmerman or Jeter were able to use their distinct size advantage to score against Simeon. They both looked woefully slow, as did the entire team compared to the undersized, by extremely quick and aggressive Simeon.
HE AND HIS TEAM HAD A BAD DAY 3000 MILES FROM HOME AGAINST THE BEST PROGRAM IN CHICAGO. SIMEON HIT 10 THREES THAT DAY. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM THAT GAME WAS "VERY EVIDENT", AND IF THE TWO PLAYED AGAIN THE RESULT WOULD LIKLEY BE VERY DIFFERENT. NO SANE PERSON COULD EVER CONSIDER THAT A BAD LOSS. SIMEON WILL LIKELY WIN ITS 4TH STATE TITLE IN 5 YEARS THIS MARCH, WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN ILLINOIS. (ARGUABLY THE MOST TALENT RICH HS BB STATE IN THE NATION.)

And, I'm not sold on Zimmerman defensively. Easy to be dominant defensively when having a 5,6,7" height advantage. What is going to happen when he tries to guard guys that are 6'8" or 6'9" and have enough muscle and skill to post him up, and use their skill, strength and even quickness to have their way with Zimmerman? Let alone when he faces guys 6'10" and taller with skill and strength.
YOUR ANALYSIS FLYS IN THE FACE OF EVERY SCOUT AND EVALUATOR IVE HEARD/READ. VERY BOLD. ID WAGER YOULL END UP BEING VERY WRONG, BUT YOURE ENTITLED TO THE OPINION.

Then there was the 76-57 loss to Montverde. Ben Simmons, a 6'8" player who has signed with LSU scored 36 points and had 15 rebounds. He shot 62% from the field(15-23), and EVERY made basket was a layup or dunk. Zimmerman had 8 points and 8 rebounds...Jeter had 6 points and 4 rebounds. And, it is wayy to easy to blame the BG guards for the lack of scoring on the part of Zimmerman and Jeter, and also the way Simmons dominated the TRIO of players BG has that are 6'10" or taller. Zimmerman was 1-6 from the field. Charles O'Bannon Jr was the only player for BG that stepped up, scoring 22 points. Then again, O'Bannon Jr has the skill and athleticism to create his own shots, something lacking with Zimmerman. The lack of quickness would not be such a big issue if Zimmerman was a kid with a big body, who would go post and then use his strength to score, the way Ben Simmons does for Montverde. But, he plays more like a guard in a 7' body. And, if he has trouble with the quickness of high school teams, what will things be like when playing at a high level of Division 1 college?
DO YOU KNOW WHO BEN SIMMONS IS? HES THE MF-N #1 OVERALL PLAYER IN THE CLASS. FIND ME ONE OPPONENT SIMMONS HASNT DOMINATED?! NOT HAPPENING. NEXT TELL ME HOW MANY PLAYERS AS TALENTED AS BEN SIMMONS ARE THERE IN ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL TODAY? A COUPLE, MAYBE? MAYBE NONE...TALK ABOUT FALSE EQUIVALENCY....

Lastly, he is 18. If he needs to have his ass kissed massively by UNLV fans, then the kids and/or his family likely have some major issues that will result in Zimmerman being a distraction to a college team, unless he is at a lower tier Di school, or a low quality upper D1 school and can have everything run through him on offense.
AGAIN, NOBODY IS KISSING ANY ASS, AND HE CERTAINLY HASNT ASKED FOR IT. GET OVER YOURSELF. ITS CALLED RECRUITING, AND IT HAPPENS IN SIMILAR FASHION EVERYWHERE. IN THIS CASE, PEOPLE ARE RECRUITING A WELL LIKED, HIGHLY TALENTED HOME TOWN KID, IN THE HOPES THAT HE STAYS HOME AND ACHIEVES HIS CEILING IN REBEL RED. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. ACTUALLY, THERES A LOT RIGHT ABOUT IT.

YOUR COMMENT ABOUT HIS POTENTIAL TO BE A DISTRACTION... AND FAMILY ISSUES??? JUST PLAIN BIZARRE. THATS THE TYPE OF BASELESS INSULT THAT MAKES ME BELIEVE YOUR ENTIRE POST FULL OF NONSENSE COMPARISONS TO NBA PLAYERS AND GARBAGE EXAMPLES IS REALLY JUST A CHEAP TROLL BY SOME GOOBER WHO WANTS ZIM TO GO ELSEWHERE.
...AND BECAUSE OF THAT, IM PRETTY SURE I JUST WASTED MY TIME... DAMN IT.

Originally posted by manic water:
Just for the record, females can be dbags too. Just watch MSNBC, full of them.
Ill bet you just love you some Megyn Riley. Probably Ann Coulter too.

In honor of the manic return I will post. Why in the world would anybody watch fox news or msnbc? I prefer my news with as little spin as possible.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

In honor of the manic return I will post. Why in the world would anybody watch fox news or msnbc? I prefer my news with as little spin as possible.

Sup rebelluver, how you been, man?

As for Faux news, MSNLGBTV, no thanks. They're all corporate, fake news transmissions directly the state borg itself.

Been better. I can't even spin this mess anymore.

The number one rated news show is owned by a very rich republican who wants everything spun republican way? A republican friend who watches religiously said msnbc is spun worse the other way. Yeah, I know. I won't watch that shit either. My father in law only watches fox and claims it isn't biased. Are you friggin serious? How can one man get every decision he makes wrong? I asked him to show me one time they actually complimented Obama. His response? When they got Bin Laden. Really? Not even fox can spin that one. I would have an easier time explaining why this loss was acceptable. Rant over.

He didn't get Bin Laden, bro. The guy died months after 911 from kidney disease, as reported in major international media. Even CBS reported he was dying in 2000.

Zero Dark Easter Bunny is nothing but a fairytale. Anybody who thinks they're getting "news" from mainstream/corporate media is already a brainwashed zombie, it's rich people paying puppet presenters to lie to the public, that's all it is.

Well I agree with the second half of your post. There is no way you can make a fairy tell that would include that many people keeping a secret happen. Jut because the international media reported it doesn't make it true either. Do you also believe we faked the moon landing?

Originally posted by manic water:
He didn't get Bin Laden, bro. The guy died months after 911 from kidney disease, as reported in major international media. Even CBS reported he was dying in 2000.

Zero Dark Easter Bunny is nothing but a fairytale. Anybody who thinks they're getting "news" from mainstream/corporate media is already a brainwashed zombie, it's rich people paying puppet presenters to lie to the public, that's all it is.
Which "major international media" convinced you Bin Laden died of kidney disease. I'd love to know.

Perhaps if more people focused on your "major international media" outlet instead of "mainstream/corporate media", we'd have less "brainwashed zombies".

rolleye0011.r191677.gif

Wow, sooooo....did fan interaction not help us in landing Bennett? I believe it did. Lets all just sit on our hands and not show the son of an Alum that posts here and an awesome talent any support at all. Not like we want a top 10 player or anything. How about supporting a local talent. There are a hundred reason to want Zimm to don a UNLV jersey.

This thread is a train wreck.

I stand by my comments and opinions. And, some of you really ought to work on reading comprehension. I NEVER said Zimmerman is not good enough to play at UNLV... I NEVER said UNLV ought not recruit Zimmerman. I did point out that he has weaknesses in his game. And, as for being dominated by the #1 high school big man in the country, remember that Zimmerman is a top 10 big man, who also has TWO 6'10" teammates, one of whom is going to Duke.

I mentioned 2 games against big time opponents in which Zimmerman did not at all look like a kid that will be an impact player at a high caliber D1 program next season. I could be wrong. As for the so called experts, they are wrong quite often with their rankings. And, most schools will take a chance on a kid who is 7', simply because it's not possible to teach someone to be that tall. It's possible to teach a kid who is 7' to be a quality basketball player. It's not possible to teach a kid who is 6'5" to be 7'.

It appears there are several people that post on this site who know Zimmerman and his family. Who have known Zimmerman and his family for a long time. That helps me make more sense of all the threads throughout the season almost every time Gorman had a home game. One thing though, since multiple people have mentioned supporting local players, why were the threads about Zimmerman, and not BG as a team? Also, BG has another SENIOR in whom UNLV has some interest, Nick Blair. He is not high profile like Zimmerman, but there appears to be mutual interest. And, he is a local kid. So, why no love for Nick Blair on this board? I know he is only a 3 star recruit, but sometimes 3 star high school players go on to be very good players in college. And, again, he is a local kid. Now, maybe some of you know Nick and can verify that he has NO interest at all in playing for UNLV. Otherwise, why no love for Nick, and why no love whether or not he ends up at UNLV?

Also, of the people who talk about supporting local kids, how many of you regularly attend the games of the public high school within whose boundaries you live? How many go regularly to see Canyon Springs play? A public school, that is coached by former Rbel, Freddie Banks, and who beat Findlay Prep this season?

There are alot of very good teams in the LasVegas area other than Gorman and Prep.... Valley, Centennial, Las Vegas, Coronado, Foothill, Clark.... Also alot of good players. Do the people talking about supporting local kids go watch these schools on a regular basis? Again, a fair question, because I do not know ANY of the people who post on this board personally. I'd just like to think since I read responses about "supporting our own", that means supporting EVERY SCHOOL in the Las Vegas Area, EVERY student-athlete, and EVERY player on the team at BG. Also, I'm NOT a person who is anti-parochial schools, as my dad was a guidance counselor, coach and teacher at the same parochial school for 35 years, and spent a few years before that at another parochial school. I helped my dad coach 3 years, and one year helped coach girl's basketball at that high school. So, do not paint this as some kind of public -vs- private issue on my end.

As for my comments about Zimmerman and his family possibly being a distraction, that is due to his unwillingness to sign an LOI. In essence, he is asking the schools interested in him, including UNLV, to save a spot for him, even though doing so will hurt said schools that he does not choose. Also, as a person who was very good at golf in high school, and recruited by multiple schools from NAIA to NCAA D1, I know about recruiting and what goes in to signing an LOI. I'm even a person who signed an LOI, and then decided I did not want to attend that school. Fortunately, the coach released me from the LOI, but I still had to sit out 1 year at the school which I ended up attending. The LOI states very clearly that the student-athlete and their parents understand they are choosing a SCHOOL and not the coach or program. In my case, I chose a school I did not like because of liking the coach. And, when it came closer to time to go off to college, I realized I'd made a huge mistake. Not because of the golf team, but because it was not a school I wanted to attend.

Zimm and his family want to be able to sign a scholarship offer, but not an LOI. Frankly, if I were a coach recruiting him, I'd say no way. Especially not this late in the year and not at a program where I had a list of top quality players willing to sign an LOI. I'd tell him and his family if you do not want to sign an LOI, that is fine, but no scholarship offer unless signing an LOI. I understand the concern on the part of the Zimmerman family. At the same time, it looks as if they are trying to keep all options open, even AFTER signing a scholarship offer. I'm not okay with that. I'm fine with not making ANY commitment at all, but to me, signing a scholarship offer is making a commitment at least on par with making a verbal commitment, and then deciding later to sign with another school. I understand many coaches do not truly have the best interest of their players at heart. They will leave at the drop of a hat for what they consider to be a better opportunity. They will break NCAA rules, then when the heat get's turned up and an investigation starts, they leave the school, and let the next coach at players bear the brunt of the penalties. If I had hatred toward the kid and his family for going this route, I'd be saying I hope her tears and ACL or Achilles, and then has all scholarship offers pulled. The thing is, I'd NEVER wish that on ANYONE, and sure do not wish it on Zimmerman. Just not a fan of how his parents have been handling the recruiting process. Having said that, Stephen is THEIR SON, and as long as he is fine with the decisions being made, to me, that is all that matters. Whether or not I agree is UNIMPORTANT

And, again, I do not know who on here is fiends of the Zimmerman family and who is not. Who has been following him since he was in say Jr High or younger, and who has not. I have been living in Las Vegas for 3 years. Las Vegas is a big town. This is not a smaller sized town like Youngstown, OH where my father coached, where I was involved in coaching girls basketball, and where I knew alot of what was going on high school wise. Where I knew kids from the time they were young, and knew people who knew kids and their families. Youngstown-Warren is a metro area of maybe 500,000.... Las Vegas is a Metro area of 2 MILIION+ . The city of Youngstown now has a population of about 65,000...Las Vegas City is now 600,000+ . There have been posts ALL SEASON on here about "Zimm plays tonight" and the like. If I had some agenda against the kid, I'd have been commenting negatively on EVERY one of those posts. And, if he is going to play big time D1 basketball, then having people on message boards questioning his skill level, criticizing his play and other things of that ilk comes with the territory. Just as players and coaches having praised heaped upon them when they have great games, or great success for an entire season come with the territory. Playing big time college sports, and for that matter big time high school sports is not for those with thin skin. Especially not the adults. It's sure not for thin skinned if involved in coaching or the family members of a coach. And, that now trickles all the way down to youth leagues.

Oh, for the record, my ideology is liberal, but I'm now registered Non-Partisan..I voted for Obama TWICE... I rarely watch MSNBC or FOX News. The only person on Fox News television station I like is Shepard Smith. MSNBC, I watch Morning Joe from time-to-time, and on occasion Rachel Maddow. I used to like "Hardball", but I think Chris Matthews has gone off the deep end. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Zimmerman, but some how this is where OTHER people decided to take the conversation........ As for being a douche bag, I'm more of a Bitch.... As Sheldon Cooper would say "Bitches be crazy"
evilgrin0003.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/19 3:51 PM by GoRebs!

i for one would NEVER in a million years go cheer on a HS player in hopes he picks my school. seems a little creepy.

to watch to see how good he is, that's different. it's still HS so i don't know.

i still hope he comes here and i think even he would be a better PG than Doolin is.

THANK YOU!!!!! .... Going to watch a kid because he is a good player, on a good team, or because you know him and/or his family is one thing. Same if you go watch a kid who has signed to play at your favorite school to get an opportunity to watch him play.

What I have not understood is the almost stalking like nature. Nor do I understand why it matters how many fans of UNLV go watch a kid play. What is more important is how many fans are going to watch UNLV play? How often are members of the coaching staff going to watch the kid play, and contact him during periods where that type of thing is allowed. Hence my comments about kissing the kids ass. Of course the coaching staff is going to kiss his ass to a certain degree. That is part of the recruiting process. And, when you are the one being recruited, and you are 17 or 18, you eat it up as much as you can, because it's only going to happen once in your life, and it is an experience most who play a high school sport never get to experience.

I think he could be a nice player at UNLV. He has alot of untapped talent, that is obvious. He seems like a good kid, and he has improved his quickness and skill level. I just do not see him as being a program changer as a Frosh. But, he ought to be able to contribute in his first year, and provided he stays 3-4 years, could well turn in to a very, very, very good college player, and he will no doubt draw interest from NBA teams due to his skill level with handling the ball and shooting. That is likely only going to get better with time and practice.

Also, provided all 5 Frosh come back next year, plus Wood, Zimmerman will not have to be depended on to carry the team. He will have pressure on him from some who think he is going to be a savior, and then whatever pressure he puts on himself. But, with the 5 Frosh back, plus Wood and the other recruits, Zimmerman ought to be able to used at multiple positions, and be able to get a feel for the game at this level. I know he has played top level AAU for several years, but AAU is totally different from college. And, while BG has played some very good teams, game in, game out it is not the level of competition he will face at UNLV or whatever school he chooses.

GoRebs!, it's funny how you have outnumbered everyone else's words by 379 to 1, and then you speak about others stalking.

I am sure you can understand why that would cause one reading all this to pause for a moment.

Fuc.....this.......thread

I see Zimm as a 3 year player and that's what we need at UNLV

I was going to respond again, but the amount of utter nonsense in this thread is just overwhelming.

Here's hoping Zimm stays home, everyone returns, and the Rebs are fully loaded to make a big run next season. I love that Rebel fans show him love, and they will undoubtably continue to do so. f one loopy fan thinks what's going on here is butt kissing, I suppose I don't much care.

Originally posted by Kruger's brother Fred:

GoRebs!, it's funny how you have outnumbered everyone else's words by 379 to 1, and then you speak about others stalking.

I am sure you can understand why that would cause one reading all this to pause for a moment.
Well, we all know that women speak 13,000 more words a day then men lol

confused0018.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT