ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube link for the press conference

Just watched the Beard presser. A couple of thoughts:

On a very personal note…

I heard Beard mention meeting Tark at some function. He said he was impressed by Coach’s feelings about Las Vegas being about the “little man” and the blue collar guys. It hit close to home for me.

I like reading the reminiscences of people like Joe & Ernie. They have a great deal more insider information about Rebel history than myself. At that time I was a driving a cab. But in my travels up and down the Strip, I had occasion to interact with Tark on three separate occasions. Once at the Rio, and twice at Piero’s.

On two of these occasions, I actually got to discuss basketball with the Man, albeit briefly. But not some brush-off of a rabid fan, but genuine substantive analysis of strategy and player’s roles on the team. He actually remembered me too! He certainly owed me no attention, and yet, I believe that he recognized my passion for the Rebels, and he chose to treat me with respect. In those brief moments he earned my eternal esteem.

Back to Coach Beard…

On several occasions he mentioned that he intended to honor the returning seniors by building a winning program around them. He even compared it to his situation at Little Rock. My question is, who is he referring to? I can think of only Ben Carter and Tyrell Green. Are there more?

In any event, he sounds like exactly the kind of coach we need. A no-egos, hard-working no-B.S. kind of guy. We’ve been inundated, during the Rice-era, with players with 4- and 5-stars next to their names. It made for splashy headlines, and heightened expectations, but apparently they were only here to further their ambitions to play professional ball. There has been very little concern for, as Beard put it “the name on the front of their jerseys”.

I hope this guy commits to UNLV for several years. I believe he will return the program to the respectability we all crave.

I hope this guy commits to UNLV for several years. I believe he will return the program to the respectability we all crave.

If he puts the program where we all want it, there will be no reason for him to leave.

Maybe his first contract extension after a NC will include a date with Allison Stephens.
Do you suppose she would date outside her race?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT