ADVERTISEMENT

You don’t have to comment Mastiff ….

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
But I have always found it very strange how kickers - place kickers and punters … are essentially an afterthought for many coaches. Some are grabbed through walk on … some PFO, or whatever. It just seems like there’s little urgency and the goal is to get someone who is good enough that shows some interest.
I mean, I get it in a sense. Of course you want a strong linebacker, a speedster with hands, a runner who is cat quick but can get tough yards.

I’ve always been a special teams fan (there goes my invites to Knights games) - I really do consider it to be a third of the team, offense, defense and special teams. And I think they are important. No, not just because Pizano has been near perfect this year. I think they can turn a game just as much as anybody else. And certainly more than that 4th string DB.

We’ve had some really good kickers at UNLV. Garritano won some big games for UNLV. I remember, Brad Faunce I think it was … completely flipping the field late in the game to give UNLV a rare win vs UNR back in the day.

I’d always place a premium on overall special teams play … I think the last 4 coaches essentially ignored it, it seemed like let’s pay attention to it in this last 5 minutes of practice. And I think you are taking away a chunk of what you can do on the field.

Just some random thoughts. Suffice it to say, Pizano has been huge for UNLV. And so has Jacob, both on ST and in the field of play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News