ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Wyoming

I kind of have a bad feeling about this. Wyoming is a little on a down turn, but they beat UNR and CSU at Arena-Auditorium in the last month, this feels like one of those games where our 1st year players will again 'overlook' a not great team and that and the altitude finally show the weakness of our back court depth and Whaley won't be 100%.

Wyoming 62
UNLV 58

I kind of have a bad feeling about this. Wyoming is a little on a down turn, but they beat UNR and CSU at Arena-Auditorium in the last month, this feels like one of those games where our 1st year players will again 'overlook' a not great team and that and the altitude finally show the weakness of our back court depth and Whaley won't be 100%.

Wyoming 62
UNLV 58
I’d be way more in agreement if Wyoming uptempo’ed at all. But they just go halfcourt. I do think the altitude can still come into play because our bench is short and potentially the injury to Rob, even though he’s ok. They’re still going to need Cottrell, imo, either way.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The jeckel/Hyde nature of our team and lack of bench doesn't give me much confidence in any predictions.. it'll probably come down to final minute and a missed bucket or FT or a blow out one way or other... just have to hope this is one of those Wyoming jacks up 30 3s and can't hit anything kind of nights

I’d be way more in agreement if Wyoming uptempo’ed at all. But they just go halfcourt. I do think the altitude can still come into play because our bench is short and potentially the injury to Rob, even though he’s ok. They’re still going to need Cottrell, imo, either way.
They run at a higher temp than we do, they're 199th in adjusted tempo, we're 305, they're 189th in possessions per game, we're 326th. The differential isn't huge, but it's statistically significant.

Something is wrong with espn box score at half. Sez Webster is 2 for 2 from 3 and DJ is 1 for 7.
Cannot be right.

Why did UNLV have a four point lead and continue fouling the Wyoming players? Isn't the idea to run the time out, not foul the other team 3 straight times. This is turning into a unr game. UNLV foul at 6 seconds, UNLV turnover at 9 seconds, UNLV foul at 16 seconds, UNLV foul at 45 seconds, UNLV foul at 1:21 . On the other side not a single foul or turn over in that time period by Wyoming even while UNLV was ahead the entire time! Now 5 seconds left 61-61 with it being a UNLV ball what will happen now? Finished with a turnover by Whaley with 5 seconds left, and lucky for UNLV Wyoming missed the jumper! The last two minutes UNLV was totally out of control both the coaching and players screwed up big time!

Last edited:
The jeckel/Hyde nature of our team and lack of bench doesn't give me much confidence in any predictions.. it'll probably come down to final minute and a missed bucket or FT or a blow out one way or other... just have to hope this is one of those Wyoming jacks up 30 3s and can't hit anything kind of nights

Have rebels heard of stopping dribble penetration? Either fouls, scores, or let them pass for easy score. Horrible defense, but got the W

Reactions: TheMatrix31
Closing games is the difference between being an ncaa tourney team or not. St Mary's, LMU, Utah St, UNR, Colorado st on road were all more than winnable. Even some games we won, we closed horrible, tonight another example.

I can probably name 20 post Tark more important If I think about it long enough. Off the top of my head real quick without even thinking …

Ty’s baseliner vs UNM, Wink’s and 1 vs TCU, CT’s three at SDSU, DJ’s three at Wyoming, Wink’s 10 second call vs Crittenton, Oscar vs Louisville, AB dunk at Cal, Jhawk/wisconsin

Reactions: TheMatrix31

The team’s interior passing has really improved over the course of the season. Stats indicate only 10 assists for the game but these limited highlights would suggest it would have been more.
These guys have a legit shot at making a MWCT run. Not probable but I like their approach over the last 10 games. Ironically I’d be more confident if the tournament was not in LV. They just play better on the road.

Reactions: khokhol8
haha - dont forget marcus banks plays decoy then dishes to booker for the game-winning 3 vs byu.
Marcus at UNR at the buzzer as well.

I think it also depends where you end, so context is needed. If we end up with an NIT or less, then there are many other “equivalent” types of plays. One that helps you win league, anything in the post season, anything that helps you get to post season … will carry more weight if this one doesn’t lead to that. IMO.

Still a tremendous, in your face, what I like to call an FU dunk. Derrick Jones and JR Rider were regulars with those. Nuke had one as well in the MWCT in Denver over a 6-9 guy, but it was somehow called a charge.

Reactions: billd99s
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT