ADVERTISEMENT

WSU Coug checking in

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
Hey Rebs:

Any new scuttlebutt about the PacWest? I guess we are sort of on hold, with the "scheduling arrangement", for a while. I'm still annoyed as hell about the Pac-2 aligning our smaller sports, basketball in particular, with that JV league WCC. Some of those venues look like HS gyms. If we are going to take the Mtn West out for this 2 year test drive, let's go all out. I think you all play basketball and baseball and soccer and all that? Maybe not rowing, which WSU is pretty good at.

Good old Pullman, home of my Cougs, is trying to schedule flights to Vegas! We expanded and renovated our airport so can do more and bigger.

Hey Rebs:

Any new scuttlebutt about the PacWest? I guess we are sort of on hold, with the "scheduling arrangement", for a while. I'm still annoyed as hell about the Pac-2 aligning our smaller sports, basketball in particular, with that JV league WCC. Some of those venues look like HS gyms. If we are going to take the Mtn West out for this 2 year test drive, let's go all out. I think you all play basketball and baseball and soccer and all that? Maybe not rowing, which WSU is pretty good at.

Good old Pullman, home of my Cougs, is trying to schedule flights to Vegas! We expanded and renovated our airport so can do more and bigger.
The WCC was carried the last couple of decades by Gonzaga. Gonzaga stepping back leaves it a much weaker conference. Maybe that is only for the next year or so until they figure out how to merge and get rid of the MWC!

I'm not aware of any new news. We won't be flying to Pullman at anytime during the agreement. The first year agreement is set and the second year the Pac2 has until September 1, 2024 to sign the extension for the second year. The teams assigned the first year to play WSU will be the same teams the second year and we are not one of them. That sucks.

We are dominating the MWC in Women's Basketball and WSU would have been better competition for us. I was disappointed the Pac2 went the WCC route but nothing we can do about it.

I guess we all just wait to see what happens in the next couple of years if there is going to be any kind of alignment with some or all MWC schools.

I'm not aware of any new news. We won't be flying to Pullman at anytime during the agreement. The first year agreement is set and the second year the Pac2 has until September 1, 2024 to sign the extension for the second year. The teams assigned the first year to play WSU will be the same teams the second year and we are not one of them. That sucks.

We are dominating the MWC in Women's Basketball and WSU would have been better competition for us. I was disappointed the Pac2 went the WCC route but nothing we can do about it.

I guess we all just wait to see what happens in the next couple of years if there is going to be any kind of alignment with some or all MWC schools.
Yes, and don't forget Oregon St, in women's basketball.
Who, is 15-2 and is right on the cusp of getting into the Top 25.
They, are receiving votes now at 26th. They, are a 5th seed, according to ESPN's bracketology.
I am extremely disappointed to, that they didn't join the MW.

Hey Rebs:

I haven't heard anything new, but I am excited about our expanded scheduling opportunities with you and Oregon State. Looking forward to us being combined with the Pac2 and other strong programs.

Hey Rebs:

Keep an eye on Stanford, Cal and SMU and the ACC fallout.

Keep an eye on Stanford, Cal and SMU and the ACC fallout.
SMU would be a really good pickup. California would be OK, but Stanford might be a problem. While I am not a big fan of the NIL the way it is currently out of hand, the Stanford President said they would not get involved with NIL, which likely will turn them into a bottom feeder very quickly.

SMU would be a really good pickup. California would be OK, but Stanford might be a problem. While I am not a big fan of the NIL the way it is currently out of hand, the Stanford President said they would not get involved with NIL, which likely will turn them into a bottom feeder very quickly.

They've been trending that way for sure.

For craps and grins...Anybody with a * I'm open to other suggestions and reasons why. ** I'll explain why I put them in. 12 team conference.

OREGON STATE
WSU
CAL
SMU
BOISE
FRESNO
UNLV
WYOMING*
CSU
USU**
SDSU
UTSA **

**USU I would put in. Yes they are the littlest of brothers and markets but they make sense regionally, it's a state the MWC and former PAC recruited. I think you want a presence there.

**If SMU suddenly backs out of ACC deal they are a solid football school. It puts a second school in Texas.

*I put Wyoming in but honestly I could see keeping Air Force. Or putting Stanford there. Really up in the air, no strong feelings to be honest.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

For craps and grins...Anybody with a * I'm open to other suggestions and reasons why. ** I'll explain why I put them in. 12 team conference.

OREGON STATE
WSU
CAL
SMU
BOISE
FRESNO
UNLV
WYOMING*
CSU
USU**
SDSU
UTSA **

**USU I would put in. Yes they are the littlest of brothers and markets but they make sense regionally, it's a state the MWC and former PAC recruited. I think you want a presence there.

**If SMU suddenly backs out of ACC deal they are a solid football school. It puts a second school in Texas.

*I put Wyoming in but honestly I could see keeping Air Force. Or putting Stanford there. Really up in the air, no strong feelings to be honest.
Doesn’t include UNR. Passes my test! 😁

OREGON STATE
WSU
CAL
SMU
BOISE
FRESNO
UNLV
WYOMING*
CSU
USU**
SDSU
UTSA **

Since we already play unr, shouldn't we keep them to leave us another out of conference game in football?

Since we already play unr, shouldn't we keep them to leave us another out of conference game in football?

Would be up to the conference really.

But I get your point.

UNR could just replace the UTEP level OOC game every year. Not awful compromise.

Out of curiosity who would you kick out and replace with UNR?

Most conferences are going to more than 12 teams. I would bring in UNR and also Stanford. As I mentioned earlier in a post Stanford in football may be in deep shit if they walk away from the NIL like the school President is pushing, but there are several reasons to take a chance with them. Stanford is very good in most other sports which will help the overall conference, and I am also betting that sooner or later Stanford will either fire the President and replace them with one that will support the NIL, or they will drop football and basketball down or remove them totally. I am leaning to Stanford fixing the NIL problem.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit what conference UNLV belong to? I just care about winning. Just win the games in both football and basketball in a high clips.

I still don't think we need a 12 team conference, just to have a 12 team conference. Especially since the more we add the less money each school will likely get.

I still think 10, maybe even 8 is the way to go. Especially if MW buyouts will be involved.
Best teams/markets available only.

WSU
OSU
CAL ( if available)
UNLV
Boise
Fresno
SDSU
CSU
SMU ( if available)'
UTSA ( if SMU is not available)
Wyoming ( if you still need an 8th)

As for Stanford, I agree that they add a lot of potential, but they are potentially THE REASON that the PAC failed.
Being strongly against PAC additions when they fell, caring SOO much about academics for an athletic alliance, and of course them refusing to do NIL. I am afraid of adding them to a conference and sabotaging everything. Eff them.
Also their athletics are going to plummet if they refuse to do any NIL. That is just a fact. Who needs them.

I still don't think we need a 12 team conference, just to have a 12 team conference. Especially since the more we add the less money each school will likely get.

I still think 10, maybe even 8 is the way to go. Especially if MW buyouts will be involved.

WSU
OSU
CAL ( if available)
UNLV
Boise
Fresno
SDSU
CSU
SMU ( if available)'

As for Stanford, I agree that they add a lot of potential, but they are potentially THE REASON that the PAC failed.
Being strongly against PAC additions when they fell, caring SOO much about academics for an athletic alliance, and of course them refusing to do NIL. I am afraid of adding them to a conference and sabotaging everything. Eff them.
Also their athletics are going to plummet if they refuse to do any NIL. That is just a fact. Who needs them.
I think a lot of the 12 team talk is based on the pre 2016 requirements that you needed 12 schools to have a championship game. Personally, I think grabbing 12 right now makes the most sense because if there's another expansion, this proposed conference is almost assuredly going to be raided for a school or two and it's much easier to keep together a conference when it's 8-9 teams as opposed to 4-5.

Once the ACC falls apart the BIG and SEC will add teams and strengthen their hold on the two top tier leagues (NFC/AFC) . Big 12 will add too as the top tier 2 league.

Stanford will end up in the BIG, maybe Cal too if not Cal will be Big12

Once the ACC falls apart the BIG and SEC will add teams and strengthen their hold on the two top tier leagues (NFC/AFC) . Big 12 will add too as the top tier 2 league.

Stanford will end up in the BIG, maybe Cal too if not Cal will be Big12

How big will they go with these conferences do you think?

Reactions: dcut03
I think a lot of the 12 team talk is based on the pre 2016 requirements that you needed 12 schools to have a championship game. Personally, I think grabbing 12 right now makes the most sense because if there's another expansion, this proposed conference is almost assuredly going to be raided for a school or two and it's much easier to keep together a conference when it's 8-9 teams as opposed to 4-5.
Good point. However as a non P4 league, I'm not sure how much a championship game matters.
The new PAC will be the strongest G5-6 team and the winner will be a front runner for the at large playoff spot. Could not having a championship game hurt that? Maybe, maybe not.
But I did not think of that.
So I will amend my list by trying to add UTSA for sure, give Wyoming a golden ticket.
I would try to add Tulane.
If Cal and SMU land elsewhere, then next alternate would be USU and Maybe UNM to provide a gateway to Texas. Maybe SJSU if we can't land a NoCal school, but easy pass since I don't think SJSU moves the needle much at all in that area. Air Force is probably the next best add.

How big will they go with these conferences do you think?
I think these conferences are already getting too big.
The only reason to add at this point is if they secede from the NCAA and create their own power conference affiliation. But with NIL being a thing now, I don't see the point.
More mouths to feed is not a good thing.
I can see the top schools from the ACC being absorbed, but I think teams like Stanford and Cal get left out. There is a reason that they weren't picked up by more obvious regional conferences before.

WSU
OSU
CAL ( if available)
UNLV
Boise
Fresno
SDSU
CSU
SMU ( if available)'

I am not worried about Stanford having any political ability to sabotage the conference since they will have no allies in the MWC/PAC. They already burned their bridge with Oregon State and Washington State, and the rest of the teams will be looking out for themselves.

The only reason to add at this point is if they secede from the NCAA and create their own power conference affiliation. But with NIL being a thing now, I don't see the point.
I can see the top schools from the ACC being absorbed, but I think teams like Stanford and Cal get left out. There is a reason that they weren't picked up by more obvious regional conferences before.
There is no regional conference to pick those two schools up outside of the Big12. It was obvious that the Big12 really didn't want them, and now depending on the court system, it looks like the ACC will most likely turn into a skeleton of themselves. With the assumption that the PAC/MWC has some type of merger, without the MWC because of the Boise State money deal, they need to make an effort to become the strength of the Western US.

I'm so freaking confused right now, I forget where everyone is heading.

SEC is at 14 right now.

ACC folds There are 3 obvious additions. Clemson, Florida State and Miami. But 17 would be a ridiculous number. So I think they add at least one more in Louisville. That's 18 total. Do they go 20?

BIG will be at 18 with additions of Oregon, USC, UCLA, Washington. So unless they go to 20 they probably don't poach any of the remaining ACC teams.

OK hear me out...(I got the damn flu and I'm bored sitting at home)

Two 9 team divisions. You only play your division during regular season to reduce travel costs. That's 8 conference games and room for 4 OOC games.

(I'm assuming Big 12 absorbs Cal and possibly SMU. Stanford gets left out and concentrates on dissecting frogs or some crap)

PACIFIC
Oregon State
WSU
Fresno
SDSU
Boise
UNLV
CSU
Air Force
USU (I don't know who else to put)

Atlantic
Boston College
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pitt or Syracuse

PAC vs ATL conference title game.

(I'm sick so forgive this ridiculous idea I blame it on the Nyquil)

SEC is at 14 right now.

ACC folds There are 3 obvious additions. Clemson, Florida State and Miami. But 17 would be a ridiculous number. So I think they add at least one more in Louisville. That's 18 total. Do they go 20?

BIG will be at 18 with additions of Oregon, USC, UCLA, Washington. So unless they go to 20 they probably don't poach any of the remaining ACC teams.

Two 9 team divisions. You only play your division during regular season to reduce travel costs. That's 8 conference games and room for 4 OOC games.

(I'm assuming Big 12 absorbs Cal and possibly SMU. Stanford gets left out and concentrates on dissecting frogs or some crap)

PACIFIC
Oregon State
WSU
Fresno
SDSU
Boise
UNLV
CSU
Air Force

Atlantic
Boston College
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pitt or Syracuse

I like that. A true bicostal regional conference, with some cross play for basketball ( like 3-4 games).

I think in that scenario Cal would be absorbed in the west, possibly SMU too. I don't think the Big 12 needs or wants SMU. I certainly don't think they want Cal. They have a premium on basketball play and neither adds enough for football. I think TCU and Baylor would fight the addition of SMU too.

The PACC? lol. the CAC? ( coastal athletic conference), the BiCAC? ( sounds like a chicken or someone throwing up, which is somewhat fitting, lol.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I like that. A true bicostal regional conference, with some cross play for basketball ( like 3-4 games).

I think in that scenario Cal would be absorbed in the west, possibly SMU too. I don't think the Big 12 needs or wants SMU. I certainly don't think they want Cal. They have a premium on basketball play and neither adds enough for football. I think TCU and Baylor would fight the addition of SMU too.

The PACC? lol. the CAC? ( coastal athletic conference), the BiCAC? ( sounds like a chicken or someone throwing up, which is somewhat fitting, lol.
Something like this doesn't come to play without a push from someone or a few someones who are influential. I can't imagine who that could be?

Damn it man now I gotta do it over.

PAC
Oregon State
WSU
FRESNO
CAL
SMU
SDSU
UNLV
BOISE
CSU

Atlantic
UNC
NC STATE
DUKE
VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA TECH
WAKE FOREST
GEORGIA TECH
BOSTON COLLEGE
SYRACUSE

How about that?

Damn it might need to tweak forgot the Texas and OU to SEC...

PAC
Oregon State
WSU
FRESNO
CAL
SMU
SDSU
UNLV
BOISE
CSU

Atlantic
UNC
NC STATE
DUKE
VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA TECH
WAKE FOREST
GEORGIA TECH
BOSTON COLLEGE
SYRACUSE

How about that?
* Chef's kiss*

I like having 8 conference games where you play everyone. Makes crowning a divisional champ a little less confusing.
The champion of that game may even have enough juice to get an autobid in the playoffs,

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Conferences are so passe. That's not where it's going long term.

Maybe but the conference commisioners aren't going to give in easily. Wondering how far we are from a break from the NCAA. I don't think you're wrong though long term.

Last edited:
* Chef's kiss*

I like having 8 conference games where you play everyone. Makes crowning a divisional champ a little less confusing.
The champion of that game may even have enough juice to get an autobid in the playoffs,

You play everybody once. Conference record with H2H would basically decide it every time.

That division champ plays other division champ.

That format UNLV would be looking at a schedule something like.

Conference
Fresno
Boise
SDSU
Cal
SMU
CSU
OSU
WSU

OOC
Reno
FCS School
Michigan (Insert any money game school)
Vandy or a Toledo or a Tulsa type game.

SEC is at 14 right now.

PACIFIC
Oregon State
WSU
Fresno
SDSU
Boise
UNLV
CSU
Air Force

Atlantic
Boston College
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest
Duke
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pitt or Syracuse

Sorry you've got the flu. It's hard to get rid off and might be RSV and/or Covid. Even when you're sick, you come up with some intriguing ideas. Hope you get well soon.

PAC
Oregon State
WSU
FRESNO
CAL
SMU
SDSU
UNLV
BOISE
CSU

Atlantic
UNC
NC STATE
DUKE
VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA TECH
WAKE FOREST
GEORGIA TECH
BOSTON COLLEGE
SYRACUSE

How about that?
I just don't see that. Who out West would be attractive to the East Division? Even WSU and OSU are just above marginal - which is why we got abandoned in the first place.

If the ACC "fails", which frankly I don't envision, why wouldn't they just pick up these Tulane' and SMU's and some of the other somewhat attractive Eastern G5 teams?

I stick with my original and ongoing position. Have a full reverse merger under the Pac banner, maybe pick up a Texas team or two later if it makes sense. Install Gloria as AD and make the best of it. Better for the entire MW, WSU and OSU don't have any other options.

I just don't see that. Who out West would be attractive to the East Division? Even WSU and OSU are just above marginal - which is why we got abandoned in the first place.

If the ACC "fails", which frankly I don't envision, why wouldn't they just pick up these Tulane' and SMU's and some of the other somewhat attractive Eastern G5 teams?

I stick with my original and ongoing position. Have a full reverse merger under the Pac banner, maybe pick up a Texas team or two later if it makes sense. Install Gloria as AD and make the best of it. Better for the entire MW, WSU and OSU don't have any other options.

I was throwing crap at the wall and under the influence of the Nyquil..

You have a point, but the ACC would not be able to put together an Eastern only conference and still have a chance at an auto bid
The Pacific side may not have many killer teams but there is enough there to be good enough where a PAC vs ACC championship would have a much better shot at it. It is almost a bracket buster type of game.
This would be attractive enough for both sides to the fact they wouldn't be forced to expand to 12 teams picking up teams that would likely hurt their bottom line in terms of per team payouts.
The east would be stronger so it seems. But i don't know. Take away some of that east coast bias and it's probably closer than it seems

My whole house, myself, my wife and our three boys have it. If anyone have it, dont sweat. Keep the temps down anyway you know.

No fever..Just an annoying cough...

Bourbon with hot tea and honey seems to help.

Or I just don't care because I'm buzzed.

You have a point, but the ACC would not be able to put together an Eastern only conference and still have a chance at an auto bid
The Pacific side may not have many killer teams but there is enough there to be good enough where a PAC vs ACC championship would have a much better shot at it. It is almost a bracket buster type of game.
This would be attractive enough for both sides to the fact they wouldn't be forced to expand to 12 teams picking up teams that would likely hurt their bottom line in terms of per team payouts.
The east would be stronger so it seems. But i don't know. Take away some of that east coast bias and it's probably closer than it seems
IMHO the realignment craze has morphed into how to make the FB playoffs. Nothing else. Ueah the Playoff teams make a few million more. So what? Those teams are already 10's of millions ahead of the Pac-2 and the MW. None of us are ever going to win the NC.

So let's make a mess out of the rest of our Athletic programs over this? A coast to coast league, which basically is two small leagues because we will only play west or East? The MW seems to be doing fine and somehow is profitable. The Pac-2 isn't (at least not WSU), maybe we can learn something. The Pac-12 residuals should help.

Sorry guys, I don't buy it. Do the full reverse merger, maybe snag an extra team or two, and stay out West where we all belong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT