ADVERTISEMENT

Wood would stay another year if

unlv91

UNLV Hall of Fame
Apr 18, 2010
we were Kentucky. Because he sure could use 1 extra year in school. Look at the Harrison twins

What are you basing this on? Because look at the Harrison twins?

Chris just strikes me as the kind of guy that wants to get paid and that is fine with me. If eveybody else comes back we will be fine without him.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The Harrison twins could have easily been drafted in the first round if they declared for the draft after last year. They stayed in school and now their draft stocks have sky rocketed. Cal sold them on staying in school despite all the 5 star recruits coming in. A gamble that payed dividends for them plus an undefeated season and possible National Championship. No you are right. Wood couldn't possibly have the gonads to come back.

The Harrison twins could have easily been drafted in the first round if they declared for the draft after last year. They stayed in school and now their draft stocks have sky rocketed. Cal sold them on staying in school despite all the 5 star recruits coming in. A gamble that payed dividends for them plus an undefeated season and possible National Championship. No you are right. Wood couldn't possibly have the gonads to come back.

I just thought you might have more evidence that Wood would do the same thing as the Harrison twins. I mean it isn't like you stated that he MIGHT stay another year, you said he WOULD.

Christian Wood did exactly what the Harrison twins did - he returned this season for his sophomore year.

Are you implying that the Harrison twins are going to return next season for their junior years despite the possibility of being first round draft picks, and that if C Wood was at Kentucky he would do exactly the same?!!!

"I believe" Wood would at least consider coming back after hearing Cals pitch as the Harrison twins did IMO. The Harrison twins are gone after this year imho

It would behoove Wood to stay another year. His draft would skyrocket, more so than the Harrison twins. If you look at the difference between the twins and Wood from Fr to So (if you actually watch college hoops, which most of you don't), it would be easy to deduct that Wood's game has improved more over the course of a year. Wood may (and probably will) be drafted in the late first round if he were to declare following this season. If Wood was really about the money, then he would stay for another year as his draft stock would rise tremendously. Probably a top 10 pick. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise that Wood wouldn't make significant improvements throughout the course of another year at the college level. Wood's game needs a ton of work to succeed in the NBA long-term. In my opinion, if Wood were to declare this year as opposed to the next he would leave not only a great deal of money on the table but a more valuable skill set as well.

The only way Chris can improve his draft stock is by dedicating himself 100% of the time. If he came back next year with the same attitude he has this year he would probably lower his stock.

I'm willing to bet the people on this board watch far more than the average person, many watch more than the self titled super fans. So watch it with the snide generalized statements bro... I can see that you're new here, so I'll just chalk that one up to nervousness.

IIRC Moser hurt his draft stock by staying one more year. There a ton of factors to take into consideration.

All of this is pointless to consider because Wood will not be here next year anyway. I don't think there has even been any talk that he might possibly stay.

Originally posted by Rebelgate:
The only way Chris can improve his draft stock is by dedicating himself 100% of the time. If he came back next year with the same attitude he has this year he would probably lower his stock.
On top of that there is chance he gets hurt either similar to Vaughn where he loses a month or so or a season ending injury, he will have less playing time especially since it has been "guarantee" that Zimm is coming here and other reasons that his stock would drop significantly.

I'm not sure where you're going with the Kentucky comparison.

Has the Harrison twins' draft stock really improved by staying? - in fact they've been passed up by teammate Devin Booker in the draft projections.

As for Cal talking a late first rounder forward into staying another year, we'll see how Calipari does convincing Trey Lyles to return (and Christian Wood has a projected $270K more reasons this summer to go than Lyles does).

If Wood was at Ky he would have battled for playing time this season with Towns, Cauley-Stein, Poythress, and Lyles. Do you think he would have been happy coming off the bench? And next season Skal L and other top talent will be on the roster.

Below is the current DraftExpress projection. Andrew Harrison is #51 (9 spots after Rashad Vaughn) and Aaron Harrison is no longer on the board. Staying and being the 3rd and 4th best guards on a college team might not have been the best move.

I really hope that Wood stays, but if not I can see his perspective also. I have heard that he entered this season the same way that Roscoe Smith entered last season - expecting that this would be his last year of college ball.

DraftRound2_zpsjhvezdnn.jpg

This post was edited on 3/9 7:17 AM by BleedRebelRed90

Originally posted by Rebelgate:
I'm willing to bet the people on this board watch far more than the average person, many watch more than the self titled super fans. So watch it with the snide generalized statements bro... I can see that you're new here, so I'll just chalk that one up to nervousness.
Gate - he's an amateur troll, and dumb, ignore the bait.

more than likely, another one of the alts of that one guy.

It would be flat out stupid for CW to not come back. Call me a troll or what ever but i'm sticking to my guns on this issue!

That projection is pretty interesting. It would be hard to turn down being a 1st round pick and 1.2M bucks a year for 4-5 years. If he does leave, I would totally understand.

As a prospect, he has tons of upside. I think sometimes he's torn between trying to show scouts that he can shoot the three and be a solid 4 in the NBA that can hit outside shots and space the floor (that's why I think he shot so many threes - but 28% is not solid), and what he should be doing in the present college situation he is in, which is hanging out in the paint and getting high percentage shots. I would love to see him do something like call up Kareem and ask him to work on some go-to offensive moves for 2 weeks in a gym. That would do wonders for his game. Can you imagine if Chris Wood had a sky hook? Man, he would be such a beast. It sucks that he will probably leave after this year, but I'm happy that we got to see him play. Nothing but respect for anyone that dons a UNLV jersey and I wish him nothing but the best. I think he will be a decent/solid NBA player with the potential to be a great player if he steps up his game.

Wood reminds me of a Marques Colston type of player. Loads of potential but kind of just does the bare minimum and skates by. Goes to Hofstra instead of Missouri. Keeps a low profile in Division I-AA, just wants to get through the process and not get injured knowing that he's gonna make the pros once he gets a chance to show teams what he's got. Sort of like Chris Wood. Considering that this was a down year for the MW conference, Chris Wood probably could have led the NCAA in scoring and rebounding this year. It's not that far fetched to say that he should have averaged something like 23 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 blocks a game, but honestly the kid just doesn't play as hard as he can possibly play and sometimes he even just disappears for long stretches at a time. But again, he might be pulling a Marques Colston and saving his best for the pros. Who knows?

Hope we absolutely punish UNR in the opening game. Go Runnin' Rebels!

This post was edited on 3/9 1:59 PM by Runnin_Reb222

Wood needs about 25 more lbs at least to bang with other PFs in the league.

He's quick and versatile, but lacks great 3pt shooting. He'll get pushed around by the Blake Griffins, Aldridges, and Zach Randolphs of the league. He's not Anthony Davis. He's more like a poor man's Branden wright at this point but can get better with another year under his belt. This is going to be a very strong big-man draft this season.

The attractive thing about Chris Wood as a prospect is the fact that he's a solid free throw shooter. I mean, he's not Frank Kaminsky shooting threes but he does have a pretty decent shooters touch. Enough to shoot around 75%-80% from the FT line at any given night. Those guys can foul him as hard as they want. He'll just go up to the line and make his free throws. Look at how much it sucks for DeAndre Jordan dealing with the Hack-a-Shaq all the time. He wishes he shot free throws like C. Wood.

He absolutely needs to gain more weight but the NBA strength and conditioning program is top notch, I'm sure he will be able to do that. Kareem was even more underweight at 7-2/225 pounds but that didn't matter because he didn't rely on physicality, he was a finesse player. Not comparing the two obviously lol, but just an example of how being skinny is not really a big deal. Shoot, Kevin Durant couldn't even bench the minimum at the NBA combine. So he will eventually fill up and gain more weight, but I do agree that he needs to improve his shooting and develop a more lethal offensive game because he would be a nuisance for a lumbering power forward to have to chase him around all night fighting off screens. Plus, Chris would have the length and reach to get shots off easily and would rarely get his shot blocked. Like Jalen Rose says: 'If you're around 7ft tall, all you need to do is walk and chew gum." lol

I wonder if Trout walks around in his everyday life and uses this kind of mindset. Anything he does not understand or agree with must be, "Someone using an Alt"

Hey Trout your credit card got declined again...Dont worry about it I bet its someone at Visa using an Alt

Hey Trout we got another complaint about you working the drive-thru...Its ok its probably a bogus complaint by Nigerian Rebel or one of his Alts.

Trout your wife filed for divorce...Thats not really her doing that its gotta be one of her Alts

Must be a rough way to live life

As a UNLV fan, I hope he stays. As a person who understand basketball, I believe he can benefit greatly from one more year in college. As a person who understands life, I say if he is told by multiple NBA teams he will be drafted, then enter the draft. If drafted, he will receive a signing bonus and be given a good opportunity to make an NBA team. And, if he does not make a roster, he could opt to play for less money in the USA in the D-League and hope to be a mid-season or late season call up, or go overseas and play for more money, get stronger, improve his skill level and get an opportunity to see and experience living in another country.

The #1 reason to me for not returning is risk of injury that could result in a loss of future earnings as a professional basketball player. Especially if it is close to a given he will be drafted.

Did Khem BIrch progress more this year in the D-league, or would he had progressed more if he had come back to UNLV? The NBA draft has become a huge investment in potential. Look at all the picks of players 2-3 years out from making the league.

This post was edited on 3/10 5:34 AM by TomKingsley

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
Did Khem BIrch progress more this year in the D-league, or would he had progressed more if he had come back to UNLV? The NBA draft has become a huge investment in potential. Look at all the picks of players 2-3 years out from making the league.

i don't really know how the D League works...but it seems like in College, they draft with potential/expectations while in the D League they call you up because they already know what you can provide.

both Khem & Roscoe i've heard are putting up big numbers in the D League and haven't been called up. if they had played another year and put up good numbers, they'd have a shot at being drafted because they they'd still be unknowns with potentials.

seems to me your best chance at making it is being drafted. don't know how many get called up and stay.

Khem is having a solid year in the D-League, and he is playing against players who have played in the NBA, others who played in the Summer League, and he get's an opportunity to play in front of NBA scouts every game.

He has started 23 of 38 games...averaging 8.9 rebounds, 11.2 ppg, shooting 67.9% at FT line .... He is shooting 69.3% from the field, which is among the best in the D-League. Sioux Falls still has 11 game remaining, which means a possibility of playing 49 games in the regular season alone, at 12 minute quarters(48 minutes total) and against grown men.... had he stayed at UNLV, would have played 31-33 games, 20 minute halfs, and been playing against guys as much as 5 years younger than himself at times. He played in the D-League All Star Game in Brooklyn, held the same weekend as the NBA All Star Game. And while not yet signed by any NBA teams, several have expressed interest in possibly signing him to a 10 day contract. Most NBA teams have 19-20 games left, so still time for Khem to be offered a 10 day contract in the NBA.

Khem also received $50,000 from Miami when signed to a free agent contract this fall. I'm not sure how much he is getting paid by Sioux Falls, but do know D-League salaries tend to range from $12,000-$24,000 . He also has received several offers from teams in Europe, according to articles I have read. I'm not sure how much he got paid by the Wizards for the 6 summer league games in which he played. I do know players receive $100 per diem daily, and a small salary. I know to many people this does not seem like alot of money, but it's alot more than he would have made had he stayed at UNLV another year.

So, I'd say he has benefited more from having played in the NBA Summer League, played in pre-season games and practices wit the Miami Heat, and now playing in a league with a schedule of 50 games in 5 months, and playing against guys with pro experience. And, he is not able to physically dominate in the D-League in the manner he would have if he stayed 1 more year at UNLV. Khem was my favorite player, and I really wanted him to come back this year, but do not blame him at all for leaving.

This post was edited on 3/10 9:41 AM by GoRebs!

Khem would have made a lot more money if he stayed at UNLV because chances are very high he would of been drafted in the first round with guaranteed millions

Any chance he'd stay if CDR offered him a chance to play some small forward with Ben Carter and Goodluck handling most of the interior defense and rebounding?

I highly doubt though that Khem would have been a high first round draft pick if he had stayed. If NBA scouts saw that kind of potential in Khem, he would have been drafted last year. Maybe not in the first round, but definitely the 2nd round. Look at Bennett. No way was he ready for the NBA, and that has been proven with his 1st 2 years in the NBA. Yet, Cleveland took him #1 overall because of POTENTIAL.

Many players that leave early would benefit basketball wise from at least 1 more year in college. But, it's hard to turn down the opportunity to play and get paid. Also, in the case of Khem, he graduated, so why take Grad classes just to play one more year of college basketball. I also think things such as the injury Moser suffered when he opted to remain in college likely went into Khem's choice to leave. And, a person or person's advising him may have gotten poor info on whether or not he would have been drafted.

There are plenty of players in the D-League who were drafted. Making an NBA roster is not easy. There are 32 teams in the NBA. Each team can have 15 players on their roster, with 13 active at any given time. The players 14 and 15 are deemed inactive. Teams can have up to 3 players on the inactive list with league approval, giving a team a roster of 16 players.

32 x 15 = 480 .... and, things such as length of contract, depth at a given position, salary cap, guaranteed contracts and other things go into whether a player remains on a roster.

And, while Khem is not making millions, and is far from wealthy, he was paid $50,000 by Miami this fall. There are alot of recent college grads who would LOVE to make $50,000 in their first year after college. Heck, there are plenty of college grads who have never made $50,000 in a year in their life, even several years after graduating. And, Khem is getting this money to play a game, and do something he loves. Same with Roscoe. Only reason I have not been mentioning Roscoe is because Khem was brought up. From what I can tell, Roscoe has had a very good season in the D-League.

Barring injury or something else of a similar nature, I'd imagine both Khem and Roscoe will sign with a team and play in the Summer League. After that, each will likely be offered contracts from top level teams in other countries. And, the decision will be do they try and make an NBA roster and possibly end up in the D-League again, or do they take the money and play in another country.

When I lived in Korea in 2007-08, the local team had Odartey Blankson as their superstar. Obviously I became a big fan and went to most the games to watch O-Dot dominate the lowly KBL Korean league. He averaged something like 18-9 on the season, although his team (the Changwon Sakers) were mediocre in the league. Every team in the KBL had a 2-foreigner limit (I think), most all of which were used for Americans, for obvious reasons.

In Turkey, I got to see Kas Kambala play out his final pro seasons for the Ankara team (although I lived in Istanbul, which has 4 different teams in the Turkish league so his team came to town often). I showed up to a few games wearing UNLV gear and got his attention, he seemed to quite enjoy it!

CSKA Moscow is one of the best teams in Europe, a perennial Euro League title contender. They have 4 African-American guys on their team (Demetrius Nichols, Sonny Weems, Aaron Lee Jackson, and my favourite, Kyle Hines) who I had never heard of before, but are pretty damn good players. Not NBA-level skills, but they can flat-out ball and play team ball at that. They mostly played for small schools and I think only one has (brief) NBA experience. They pay pretty good out here, several of the players are making over a million dollars a year and I think the highest-paid is almost 3 million. I would love for CSKA to sign a former Rebel, that would be phenomenal! I guarantee Khem or Roscoe would be key contributors to this year's team, which is currently about to advance to the final 8 of the Euro League.

This post was edited on 3/11 3:05 AM by ThailandReb

Australia also has a very good basketball league with the NBL, which is the top pro league in Australia and New Zealand. I mention Australia since it's not in Europe.

Kendrick Perry from Youngstown State played this year for the Sydney Kings. He played with Orlando in the NBA Summer League, then opted to play in Australia rather than try and make an NBA roster or play in the D-League. Australia has very good home grown talent, plus this season Josh Childress and Jahii Carson, among the most noteable former US D1 college players.

Former DI college players in the NBL :
* Kendrick Perry - Youngstown State
* Josh Childress - Stanford, also played parts of 8 seasons in the NBA
* Brian Conklin - St. Louis
* Brock Motum - from Australia and played collegiately for Washington State .... played for Utah Jazz in 2014 Summer League
* Cedrick Jackson - St. John's and Cleveland State ... played in D-League, and also on 10 day contracts for the Cavaliers and Wizards
* Jamar Wilson - Albany
* Jordan McRae - Tennessee
* Jermaine Beal - Vanderbilt
* DeAndre Daniels - UCONN ... highlight of college career was probably 20 pts, 10 reb in 2014 semi-final win over Florida
* Mickell Gladness - Alabama A&M ... played in D-League and briefly with Miami and Golden State in the NBA
* Jahii Carson - Arizona State --- PAC 12 Co-Freshman of Year in 2013
* Gary Ervin - Mississippi State and Arkansas

NBL only plays a 28 game schedule, and not sure how much they pay, but it is likely more than the D-League. If young and single, playing basketball in Australia from Sept - March and getting paid to do so does not sound bad at all.

Australian basketball league sucked when I was there, but yeah I heard it gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Basketball remains a distant 4th-tier sport down under (after rugby, Aussie-rules football, cricket, and tennis), but it is coming up. I don't think the pay is that great compared to other parts of the world like Europe, but yeah I could think of a lot worse places to live.

I've never been to any basketball in China, but i hear that league is quite good with a lot of former NBA players and even stars going there to finish their careers. I hear they pay quite a lot there, and get good turnouts to games.

Moral of the story is there are a lot of options overseas for these fringe NBA guys, with good money and an exciting lifestyle of living abroad and seeing the world. I heard Chace Stanback is playing in Europe somewhere (France?), but the French team in the Euro League, Limogues, quite sucks and he isn't on that team, so he must be toiling away on a lower-level team, unfortunately.

Any other former Rebels playing overseas?

BTW, A few weeks ago CSKA just signed a just-about-washed-up Andrei Kirilenko to finish out his career, he was welcomed back to Moscow like he was the Russian Jordan, lol.

NBL was once a very good league, then the quality went down greatly as players from Australia started coming to the USA. But, in recent years, the NBL has looked at what has worked well in other countries as far as attracting players, and the quality is improving.

I too have heard China has a solid pro league. To mr, for a guy who is young and single, playing in pretty much any foreign league would be a great experience. Many times the US players are treated very well by the teams, and also well by fans. In addition to salary, they get places to live, a car and other things. Also a great way to see the world and learn about other cultures.

I know a guy from the Youngstown/Warren Ohio area that was a very good high school player, and then had a solid career at a top quality NAIA school in Western PA. He graduated with a degree in finance, and had several job offers at top firms in Chicago. But, he chose to go and play 1-2 years in Europe. Think he played in Netherlands, but not 100% sure. He told my dad and I he did that because he was young, still wanted to play basketball, and it gave him a chance to see another part of the world.

Also know of a guy who went to that same college, then played professionally in Belize, ended up marrying a woman from Belize and then became director of the Belize National Basketball team.

I know a girl from Youngstown who was All American at Penn State. Got drafted by Phoenix Mercury, but was cut on the last cut. Went to Italy and played there for a few seasons. May have also played in one other country. There are also multiple players from Youngstown State, both men and women now playing in other countries. Again, a great experience to see other parts of the world, learn and at the same time get paid to play basketball. Kobe Bryant's dad had a long career in Italy where he was one of the top players, and Kobe benefited by getting to spend his early years of life living in another country. There is plenty of upside to playing basketball professionally in countries other than the USA.

Belize has a professional basketball league??!!!! Haha that is funny and amazing to me, as the largest city in all of Belize, Belize City, is a glorified village (I think population ar,ound 80,000 people), and everywhere else even smaller villages! lol... but yeah good for that dude.

Honestly I don't know how they pay so much in Europe, the CSKA stadium looks like a glorified high school gym, honestly I think the Chaparral HS gym was a bit nicer. It allegedly seats around 9,000 (doesn't look even close to that capacity) and is often full, but still.... UNLV averaged more than that this year. A few Euro cities have NBA-Calibur arenas, including Fenerbahce in Istanbul, but not many at all.... most of the Euro teams, even the powerhouses, have Mountain West-calibur arenas at best.

Anyway, yeah... it's nice to have basketball all over the world, and it's been really a great experience and cool coincidence to see former UNLV players playing there.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
Chris just strikes me as the kind of guy that wants to get paid and that is fine with me. If eveybody else comes back we will be fine without him.
Come on, bro. That is a meaningless statement. Everybody wants to get paid.

If he is a lock for the first round, he be nuts to turn it down and for what? Another year under Rice haha please.

This post was edited on 3/13 1:39 AM by manic water

Originally posted by ThailandReb:
Belize has a professional basketball league??!!!! Haha that is funny and amazing to me, as the largest city in all of Belize, Belize City, is a glorified village (I think population ar,ound 80,000 people), and everywhere else even smaller villages! lol... but yeah good for that dude.

Honestly I don't know how they pay so much in Europe, the CSKA stadium looks like a glorified high school gym, honestly I think the Chaparral HS gym was a bit nicer. It allegedly seats around 9,000 (doesn't look even close to that capacity) and is often full, but still.... UNLV averaged more than that this year. A few Euro cities have NBA-Calibur arenas, including Fenerbahce in Istanbul, but not many at all.... most of the Euro teams, even the powerhouses, have Mountain West-calibur arenas at best.

Anyway, yeah... it's nice to have basketball all over the world, and it's been really a great experience and cool coincidence to see former UNLV players playing there.
They pay so much because mobsters own the teams and gambling on games is BIG MONEY!

Originally posted by the Florian Trout:
Originally posted by TomKingsley:

i don't really know how the D League works...but it seems like in College, they draft with potential/expectations while in the D League they call you up because they already know what you can provide.

both Khem & Roscoe i've heard are putting up big numbers in the D League and haven't been called up. if they had played another year and put up good numbers, they'd have a shot at being drafted because they they'd still be unknowns with potentials.

seems to me your best chance at making it is being drafted. don't know how many get called up and stay.
You really don't know.... You heard... Seems to you....

Yeah... I'm not an alt. I'm just right. Please, stop making our fan-base look uneducated. If someone disagrees with your opinion, then why must you accuse them of being an "alt"?

If you really don't know- find out. If you heard- check. That simple.

ThailandReb,

It is actually a semi-pro league in Belize, so I doubt the pay is much at all. The league folded a few years back, but was restarted last year.
http://www.patrickjonesbelize.com/2014/02/07/national-elite-basketball-league-tips-friday/
http://www.latinbasket.com/Belize/basketball.asp

Here is a link to a 2011 interview with Kevin Siroki, the person I told you went to play in Belize. This is from the Westminster College(Pa) student paper. At that time, Kevin was a college coach in Belize.
http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/420463/From_Westminster_to_Belize_bas.html

Kevin is now back in the USA, and is Head Men's Basketball Coach at his alm mater, Westminster College, which now plays at the NCAA D3 level.

One of his closest friends, a guy named Bernie Tarr was coaching and living in Belize until last year. He left his position in Belize due to differing views with the government, and took a job coaching a pro team in Bolivia, but still lives in Belize.. I've known Bernie since middle school. He was a long time high school coach in Ohio, then in 2011 or 2012 moved to Belize. Last I heard, he was running the National Basketball programs and coaching. Nice guy. Loves basketball. One of his nicknames is "Bermuda Bernie", because he used to wear bermuda shorts all year round, even winter. Not a big deal now that he is in Belize, but it get's damn cold in winter in NE Ohio
smile.r191677.gif
. I know Bernie has brought teams to the USA to play. And, up until last year, there was the King James Project in Belize, which was run by Bernie and was part of the involvement Lebron James has with basketball all over the world. Bernie and Lebron have known each other since Lebron was in high school, quite possibly even longer. Here is an article from March 2014 about Bernie Tarr, and one from 2012 about the high school championship in Belize, which was played outside. Both are interesting articles. Bernie used to do basketball camps in Belize starting in the mid 90's, then finally decided to move there.
http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/mar/03/basketball-globetrotting-fills-tarrs-lif/

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/dec/20/tarr-adds-national-title-to-his-basketba/

Here is another article about a former D3 player from Westminster College who went to Belize and played for Galen College. He is there to get his Masters Degree, is going to school for free, and in addition to playing he was/is also the coach. Some interesting pictures and just interesting discussion about basketball and life in Belize.
http://pacsportsnetwork.blogspot.com/2013/08/q-with-adam-carswell-in-belize.html

This post was edited on 3/13 4:34 AM by GoRebs!

This post was edited on 3/13 4:35 AM by GoRebs!

GoRebs is actively trying for the longest, most drawn out posts in Rebel-net history. TL:DR.

According to Wikipedia, Belize is the only Central American country where the official language is English. It's climate ranges from 24 °C (75.2 °F) in January to 27 °C (80.6 °F) in July.

Sign me up!!!

This post was edited on 3/15 10:21 PM by TarkisGod

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT