ADVERTISEMENT

Wink Adams

Kruger never went out of his way to recruit 4/5 star players but he never had to with Wink. Wink always wanted to be a Rebel. That'd be great to see him on the staff someday.

I agree Joe. I even placed calls into the AD to plead with them to put him on the list for a banner. They blew me off of course.

Definitely a top 5 post Tark favorite of mine. Probably the top one.

+1, Definitely the Top Rebel #1 IMO post Tark. I imagine we would have 0 NCAA Tourney Wins post Tark if he didn't get the ball rolling by calling the UNLV staff to let Kruger know he was a wanted to be a Rebel, for that alone he should be in the Rafters! JK of course [smoke]

Reactions: Oscar_m89
+1, Definitely the Top Rebel #1 IMO post Tark. I imagine we would have 0 NCAA Tourney Wins post Tark if he didn't get the ball rolling by calling the UNLV staff to let Kruger know he was a wanted to be a Rebel, for that alone he should be in the Rafters! JK of course [smoke]
Wink was at the very center of ending UNLV's 15 year spot in no mans land. I don't think it's at all an coincidence that the small peak of NCAA tourney bids and wins occurred when he was at his own peak and it started to decline with his injury and then absence. Program guy, high impact guy.

Wink was a killer for us. I think the one thing hurting his legacy was his decline in play is senior year. Was it him getting too buff? Eh, maybe. Either way it was unfortunate that he couldn't at least maintain his junior level play.

As for the rafters? that's a tough one. Everyone up there now were part of great Rebel teams. The S16 team and the 2nd round teams were great for us since we were starving for some NCAA success. But I don't know it was rafter level worthy...

As for the rafters, he put JK at the end of the comment. Wink is a great Rebel, but we all know the rafters is meant to be a special place.

Full disclosure, I loved me some WinK! I remember talking a little with some of his family, including Momma Wink at a TCU game in Ft. Worth.

As for the rafters, he put JK at the end of the comment. Wink is a great Rebel, but we all know the rafters is meant to be a special place.
I still think he's on the cusp of it. He played all four years here, had success, led a resurrection of sorts - and his numbers have to compare pretty favorably on UNLV lists. Maybe he doesn't make the cut, but I think he'd have to be included with the next small handful. No?

Huge Wink Adams fan! His junior year was magical. He could take over when needed, but also realized how to get everyone else going. Like all great players he was clutch when the Rebs needed it. On top of that he was/is a great ambassador for UNLV. Thanks for everything thing Wink.

I still think he's on the cusp of it. He played all four years here, had success, led a resurrection of sorts - and his numbers have to compare pretty favorably on UNLV lists. Maybe he doesn't make the cut, but I think he'd have to be included with the next small handful. No?

Rafters = no. Honorable Mention? Yeah...

Rafters = no. Honorable Mention? Yeah...
I get that. I wouldn't argue either way it went. But I have a lot of gratitude for him. All guys that suit up to be Rebels - but let's face it, if you're good and you want to be a Rebel, it's a lot easier to swallow when you are a perennial S16 and beyond contender than a regular 17 win NIT team. Wink was good enough to play at many places "better" than UNLV. He chose UNLV early on because it was his dream school.

That counts for ALOT in my book. Tons of respect for him.

Honestly, I have nothing substantive to add to this discussion that hasn’t already been said probably more eloquently at that. Of course, that's never stopped me before...

But my love for Wink compels me to weigh-in. I agree that post-the NC team & Tark, Wink Adams has been our #1 star. I would have no issue if the powers-that-be chose to hang his uni from the rafters. He would not diminish the honor in any way. But I would understand that, because of his decline in his senior year, those same powers decided that he didn’t belong.

My affection for Wink is as much a by-product of his passion for being a Rebel as it is based on his on-court performance. But make no mistake, Wink in his prime, was a joy to behold. But was he in fact, a better player than let’s say Tre Willis? I’m not sure. But Willis’ off-court issues over-shadowed his play. He was, however, a very talented player. I would have to conclude that neither deserved that particular honor. Anthony Marshall? Another near-miss.

In any event, if Wink wants to return to the sidelines for UNLV, it would be a class move to find a place for him. The school has not always chosen the classy path, but it’s never too late. Bring back Wink!

i-wish-you-were-here-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Oscar_m89 and Don-F
Honestly, I have nothing substantive to add to this discussion that hasn’t already been said probably more eloquently at that. Of course, that's never stopped me before...

But my love for Wink compels me to weigh-in. I agree that post-the NC team & Tark, Wink Adams has been our #1 star. I would have no issue if the powers-that-be chose to hang his uni from the rafters. He would not diminish the honor in any way. But I would understand that, because of his decline in his senior year, those same powers decided that he didn’t belong.

My affection for Wink is as much a by-product of his passion for being a Rebel as it is based on his on-court performance. But make no mistake, Wink in his prime, was a joy to behold. But was he in fact, a better player than let’s say Tre Willis? I’m not sure. But Willis’ off-court issues over-shadowed his play. He was, however, a very talented player. I would have to conclude that neither deserved that particular honor. Anthony Marshall? Another near-miss.

In any event, if Wink wants to return to the sidelines for UNLV, it would be a class move to find a place for him. The school has not always chosen the classy path, but it’s never too late. Bring back Wink!

i-wish-you-were-here-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

First, props and all due respect to Wink. #1 post-Tark star? Can't go there. Shawn Marion was exceedingly better...

First, props and all due respect to Wink. #1 post-Tark star? Can't go there. Shawn Marion was exceedingly better...
Shawn accomplished in his post UNLV days. He accomplished nothing while he was here.

He got pimped by Jerryl Sasser in three games in a bad season. Played only one year.

Had a great NBA career. But that doesn't matter. Your UNLV accomplishments are what matter. A host of guys are in front of Shawn as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. Could rattle off at least dozen that meant more to UNLV on the game court in their time here than Shawn. And that's while still recognizing his immense ability.

Kevin played one year here. Not nearly the talent of Shawn. But far, far more important to UNLV history than Shawn.

Shawn accomplished in his post UNLV days. He accomplished nothing while he was here.

He got pimped by Jerryl Sasser in three games in a bad season. Played only one year.

Had a great NBA career. But that doesn't matter. Your UNLV accomplishments are what matter. A host of guys are in front of Shawn as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. Could rattle off at least dozen that meant more to UNLV on the game court in their time here than Shawn. And that's while still recognizing his immense ability.

Kevin played one year here. Not nearly the talent of Shawn. But far, far more important to UNLV history than Shawn.

UNLV not embracing Shawn Marion is short-sighted. Hear me out...

Where Calipari is absolutely brilliant is that he celebrates his "one year" guys and does not cling to "four year" morality...Here you have a NBA Champion, a NBA All-Star, a guy that never got into a lick of trouble and one cannot find anything in the Thomas & Mack that celebrates him. Kids are into the NBA. If you go to the McKale Center, Sean Miller has an entire hallway dedicated to Wildcats (Kerr, Elliot, Terry, etc.) that have played on NBA champions; jerseys, pictures and the like. Arizona embraces being a "Players Program" and their connection to the NBA. Walk into Kentucky's practice facility and you will see huge banners of all of his "one year" guys...Marion's huge NBA career should be celebrated by UNLV; you might want to remind a kid that you can be a Rebel and become a NBA Lottery pick in a year, call me crazy.

GENTLEMEN, IT IS ALL ABOUT BRANDING AND RECRUITING. THE REBEL BRAND IS ABOUT THE NBA; NOT FOUR YEARS OF CAMPUS LIFE AND WALLS OF IVY.

It is just the way it is. Thanks for listening

Reactions: Don-F

Where Calipari is absolutely brilliant is that he celebrates his "one year" guys and does not cling to "four year" morality...Here you have a NBA Champion, a NBA All-Star, a guy that never got into a lick of trouble and one cannot find anything in the Thomas & Mack that celebrates him. Kids are into the NBA. If you go to the McKale Center, Sean Miller has an entire hallway dedicated to Wildcats (Kerr, Elliot, Terry, etc.) that have played on NBA champions; jerseys, pictures and the like. Arizona embraces being a "Players Program" and their connection to the NBA. Walk into Kentucky's practice facility and you will see huge banners of all of his "one year" guys...Marion's huge NBA career should be celebrated by UNLV; you might want to remind a kid that you can be a Rebel and become a NBA Lottery pick in a year, call me crazy.

GENTLEMEN, IT IS ALL ABOUT BRANDING AND RECRUITING. THE REBEL BRAND IS ABOUT THE NBA; NOT FOUR YEARS OF CAMPUS LIFE AND WALLS OF IVY.

What you are talking about is entirely different than what I'm talking about. You are talking about importance in relation to popularity to aid in branding and recruiting and helping to create a general perception. In that regard, I agree.

But I like the game itself, too. In that regard, Shawn didn't help much where others have helped a lot more.

It does bring up an interesting philosophy. If it's going to be easier for UNLV to be a school that uses the Kentucky model... or a school that takes on, say, a typical MWC model (3/4 year players)...

UNLV, I think, attracts guys that want the league. That's a tough road and that's what Rice went for. I think you need a much stronger overall "program" foundation. It's tough. Booster network must be strong, unified, protective... very hard at a school like UNLV, imo. Everything isn't in place for that type of "big time".

I'm partial to schools like MSU and Kansas which have a mix, a hybrid. I think it's tough too, but would be the best option for UNLV. I think Cal is one of very few people that can get 1 and 2 and dones at 9 deep successfully.

I thought they did hang the banners of NBA players in the Mendenhall. I haven't been inside for a couple years but at one time they certainly did.

Not that I have ever seen. We have had about two dozen players go to the NBA
I think the following are those who have numbers retired to the rafters:

4 Larry Johnson PF 1989–91
11 Eddie Owens SF 1973-77
21 Sidney Green PF 1979–83
23 Reggie Theus SG 1975–78
25 Glen Gondrezick SF 1973–77e
32 Stacey Augmon SF 1987–91
35 Armon Gilliam PF 1984–87
40 Ricky Sobers PG 1971–75
50 Greg Anthony PG 1988–91

You guys are making my point for me. He is a NBA All-Star and a NBA Champion and there is little - if any - institutional embrace of him. Look at the recent inductees e UNLV HOF. Marion does not merit inclusion? Really? Four Year Morality?

What I meant by banners is pictures of past players who played in the NBA. It's in the entrance.

You guys are making my point for me. He is a NBA All-Star and a NBA Champion and there is little - if any - institutional embrace of him. Look at the recent inductees e UNLV HOF. Marion does not merit inclusion? Really? Four Year Morality?
Maybe it's just me, but one year players .... they just aren't going to be embraced like others that help provide something very high level.

Mark Wade just now made UNLV HOF. It's not debatable who provided UNLV with more. Not close. Even sixth man Graham provided UNLV with more. Basnight meant more. Shawn was fantastic in his one year which led to a first round NIT loss to Nebraska (I think). But he wasn't a difference maker. Marcus Banks was great for two years here, NBA lottery, last in the NBA for awhile as a journeyman... provided nothing great to UNLV (two NIT's?). Great player. But certainly not enough to warrant the highest accolades.

Shawn was a pleasure to watch, he was a great player. If he didn't end up subservient to Jeryl Sasser, maybe there were some NCAAT wins in there.... But you can't hang around one year and expect to be cherished.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Sasser was a damn beast. He and Anthony Carter at Hawaii beat us up at every opportunity.

Sasser was a damn beast. He and Anthony Carter at Hawaii beat us up at every opportunity.
We got AC and Alika Smith at a time they wanted a win very badly. 1998 WAC Tourney.

Think back. Hawaii was ranked that season and they were on the cusp of an NCAA invite. They may have needed to win one or two in the WACT to make the NCAAT, but UNLV was an afterthought easy win for them. Of course, we won four games in five days and went dancing instead. UNLV upset Hawaii, Utah, Fresno and then the criminally headed UNM Lobos.

Of course, that was the year AFTER Marion. Marion's team was a non threat to many teams, especially SMU.

I thought they did hang the banners of NBA players in the Mendenhall. I haven't been inside for a couple years but at one time they certainly did.
They have all of our recent 1 year guys hanging in the Mendenhall as you walk in.

They have all of our recent 1 year guys hanging in the Mendenhall as you walk in.
To me, that's enough recognition. It helps sellto kids visiting. You don't want a wall of players who made it in the Pakistani league. Put the NBA guys all up there.

Aren't there paintings/murals in the concourse, as well.

I’m 100% in agreement with Joe on this. I have enormous respect for Shawn Marion and what he accomplished in his NBA career. But putting him on a par with the players who are in the rafters of the T&M would be a travesty. He was the best player on an unremarkable team (16-13) for just one season. He should be mentioned to kids when recruiting. If there are pictures of Rebel players who had NBA careers, he should definitely be there. But that is more than enough.

Just because Calipari has perfected a system that cycles in 10 or 12 new McDonald’s All-Americans every year, doesn’t make it enviable. I suppose, if your one and only goal is to perennially go deep in the tournament, then maybe you should model your program after Kentucky. Personally, I look for more from my school of choice. I want to be able to look at a player and feel that he bleeds Rebel Scarlet & Gray, just as profusely as I do. I just don’t feel that from these “one-and-done” kids who are simply marking time until the NBA draft.

Mixing in one or two every season, if it helps you get over the hump towards success, is fine. But it’s the “down-and-dirty” gym-rats that are the heart-and-soul of good teams. Those are the players that, if successful, deserve places of honor. Not the ones who just need a place to park their talent for one forgettable season.
vacation-time-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: outhustle
To me, that's enough recognition. It helps sellto kids visiting. You don't want a wall of players who made it in the Pakistani league. Put the NBA guys all up there.

Aren't there paintings/murals in the concourse, as well.
Pretty sure Marion is on the t&m concourse

Wow Joe great memory. I was there for every game. The players that all those other teams had too and of course that Tarkanian Fresno St. team with some studs. My biggest memory was Tyrone Nesby jumping up on the scorers table after we beat UNM and pumping his fist. Man oh man I hope we get back there again.

Back to Wink though; of all the players that merit a banner now he is at the top of my list. My argument to the AD was regardless of future success we should also consider what a player means to or meant to the program.

I know Lou Amundson isn't considered but he also represented UNLV at the highest level.

How about any other players deserving of recognition ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT