ADVERTISEMENT

Who are these big-time boosters we're hearing so much about?

BleedRebelRed90

All American
Oct 10, 2013
Findlay I know has a lot of pull, but I have to guess what others might still.

Here are some names that have mattered in the past? Who among them is still active?

Findlay
Maloof
Mendenhall
Fertitta
Molasky
Morris
Rogich
Wynn
Marnell
Jingoli

These families were significant contributors to additions to the Mendenhall Center:
Gallagher
Paulos
Wortman
Anstett
Boyd
Rich
Wightman
Leavitt
Snow
Martin
Barker

Adelson suppports the university, but does he have any involvement in sports?

Who else, and please indicate if you are just guessing or pretty sure.

This post was edited on 3/17 10:51 PM by BleedRebelRed90

Last edited:
Re: Who are these big-time boosters we're hearing so much about?[/URL]
Doubleyew posted on 3/16/2015...

Include the Maloofs in there as well

Thanks, I added them above in the original list

Reactions: colonelreb
Suge Knight and Floyd Jr are the obvious choices.

RebelRobert is the obvious choice.

My question would be which of our ex jocks are giving back? Guys that are in the pros. Matt Williams, Adam Scott, Charlie Hoffman, Shawn Marion, Kenny Mayne, Ryan Moore, Greg Anthony, Anthony Bennet you got to give back

Joel Anthony did a couple years ago - a six figure amount that was mentioned about the time of Mendenhall opening (although I don't remember if the contribution was related to that facility). It was memorable because to me it seemed generous as far as his career earnings.

I'm sure they don't want or need any recognition, but the Paulos' and Whortman's should be up there as well.

I'd imagine Harper might donate some cash to both the baseball programs at CSN and UNLV along with money in general to athletics at UNLV... Have you seen his seats? He is already paying a good amount of cash to the RAF, and seems to have a general interest in the Las Vegas community. Although I wonder if he has difficulty providing things to our Nike based sports contracts when he is Under Armour?

Remember that Bryce has a good relationship with Chambers. That could prove to be a valuable connection.

I wonder about Jimmy Kimmel also. He always reps UNLV stuff, and calls out. It speaks volumes without a monetary donation but unsure is he contributes.

I'd imagine Harper might donate some cash to both the baseball programs at CSN and UNLV along with money in general to athletics at UNLV... Have you seen his seats? He is already paying a good amount of cash to the RAF, and seems to have a general interest in the Las Vegas community. Although I wonder if he has difficulty providing things to our Nike based sports contracts when he is Under Armour?

For the record he pays nothing to the RAF & those aren't his seats.

That doesn't surprise me. I have no idea about the guy personally, but the talk was always that he isn't very pleasant or humble.

That doesn't surprise me. I have no idea about the guy personally, but the talk was always that he isn't very pleasant or humble.

On a personal level he's a very humble guy & quite pleasant. He's pretty quiet & reserved for the most part & lives a pretty clean life. I know he tries to take pics & sign as many autographs for the kids at the UNLV games. Just my experience being around him though.

I am actually glad to hear that. A lot of it came from his time in junior college so maybe it means he matured past those times. I guess when you are an all world stud at that age it is easy to float away a bit... I wouldn't know.

Findlay I know has a lot of pull, but I have to guess what others might still.

Here are some names that have mattered in the past? Who among them is still active?

Findlay
Maloof
Mendenhall
Fertitta
Molasky
Morris
Rogich
Wynn
Marnell

These families were significant contributors to additions to the Mendenhall Center:
Gallagher
Paulos
Wortman
Anstett
Boyd
Rich
Wightman
Leavitt
Snow
Martin
Barker

Adelson suppports the university, but does he have any involvement in sports?

Who else, and please indicate if you are just guessing or pretty sure.

This post was edited on 3/17 10:51 PM by BleedRebelRed90

So was Adelson a major contributor to the RAF for the purchase of the Trop/Koval land? Was it as a business interest, or do we now include him as a supporter of UNLV sports?

Booster talk again brings me over to the non-football side of the site. Adding Tom Jingoli to the list of boosters in the original post.

Amusing banter below, including the family of Stephen Zimmerman, who might even have been the "crying parent" that Graney mentions in his article.https://twitter.com/RobbieHutton1

Robbie Hutton‏@RobbieHutton1 Nov 22
Rebels in Ruins: The decision that destroyed UNLV basketball https://lvrj.com/post/1533153 via @reviewjournal
Ed conveniently left out the very public pressure he put on the program that was a lynch pin in Rice’s firing
Lori Stvns ZimmerMoM‏@VegasBballMom Nov 22
Left out the 3rd booster too
WrigleyN8‏@NathanSlaman Nov 22
Who was the 3rd booster. CF?
Yeah
Funny how he's left out all together
Bleed Rebel Red‏@BleedRebelRed Nov 23

Graney is very selective on who he implicates and doesn't in this spin article. No mention that it was Grg, Wark and others applying pressure big time to keep Rice spring/summer '15. Would have been "disloyal" to Tark to fire Rice/Stacy/Kreigh https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/mar/15/former-unlv-coach-grgurich-calls-city-and-universi/…
Lori Stvns ZimmerMoM‏@VegasBballMom Nov 23

That's not only reason
Bleed Rebel Red‏@BleedRebelRed 22h22 hours ago
I'm sure there are other reasons, but I rely on "journalists" for most of my information. So I was surprised to learn from that article's "implication by omission" that Cliff Findlay had little or no say in that hiring/firing process.
Brian Carter‏@brainCarter 18h18 hours ago
Hard for @edgraney to put Cliff on blast when he’s writing the article from ESPN’s Findley Radio studio.
Ed Graney‏Verified account@edgraney 18h18 hours ago
Actually, the wireless is realty shoddy there, so you're wrong. But, hey, thanks for 1. reading 2. following and 3. tweeting about me.
Brian Carter‏@brainCarter 18h18 hours ago
I’m happy to be wrong and appreciate the RJ shining a light on UNLVs missteps. You don’t agree with the fans that it is odd that CF is not mentioned in the article?
No, I don't. I believe those mentioned and quoted are those who had the biggest influence on the times chronicled. Others can disagree. As long as it's read, and it was by many, we did our job. The agreeing or not part doesn't matter.
Chance‏@Karaoke_Jesus 18h18 hours ago
“The click is more important than the facts” - state of today’s media.
Oh, everything we wrote is factual. If you don't agree, that's fine.
M‏@XReb_FanX 18h18 hours ago

So we're clear. Cliff held no sway on any decision making? Or it was so insignificant it wasn't worth mentioning? His name comes up an awful lot when people are pointing fingers at who to blame.

I'm not using a Twitter feed to discuss in depth who we talked to and why. We believe the ones quoted were intimately involved in the process. That's it. That's all.

Nobody is questioning that. But Cliff's name is thrown out there an awful lot by people close to the program. So either he had influence. Or he didn't and he is simply a convenient boogie man for people to blame for everything. I think it's a more than fair question.

Then you should ask him. For us, we stand by who we talked to. Thanks for reading and responding to it.

I'm not the journalist. Considering it has been a long floated rumor he holds a lot of sway, it would be an interesting addition to the piece. It would either confirm said rumor or shed light on it.

Bleed Rebel Red‏@BleedRebelRed

Replying to @XReb_FanX @edgraney and

I accept the article as factually accurate. But the article is about the timing of Rice's firing. Obvious questions are why didn't it happen in March, not in August, then why January. August is partially addressed, but who had the ear of those "above AD level" and flipped is not.

Miguelito‏@mikie_v 13h13 hours ago

Replying to @BleedRebelRed @XReb_FanX

There are several layers to this thing, and about two are addressed here.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
There seems to be a divide among prominent boosters and supporters, and judging from that thread, I doubt it will change any time soon.

I jush wish the Fertittas would stop holding us hostage.

There seems to be a divide among prominent boosters and supporters, and judging from that thread, I doubt it will change any time soon.

And weirdly enough, alliances and divides between boosters and media members.

Graney - who attributes no fault to the pressure that he - and to a lesser degree other media - applied to promote and block some moves by the AD and the consequences of that, has landed in the Bill Paulos camp. Maybe he is hoping to follow Steve Carp over there to work for Paulos.

And weirdly enough, alliances and divides between boosters and media members.

Graney - who attributes no fault to the pressure that he - and to a lesser degree other media - applied to promote and block some moves by the AD and the consequences of that, has landed in the Bill Paulos camp. Maybe he is hoping to follow Steve Carp over there to work for Paulos.
Politics everywhere, purity nowhere.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I wonder about Jimmy Kimmel also. He always reps UNLV stuff, and calls out. It speaks volumes without a monetary donation but unsure is he contributes.

IMO this guy and fieri are straight up frauds! Repping UNLV only when convenient, have any of these two Fugazi's ever contributed a dime ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelSoldat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT