ADVERTISEMENT

What’s going on in Laramie?

You need therapy. Or a hug. Maybe it’s that living in DC sucks. IDK.

I’ll root for the team how I do it, you do you. My way is more fun, at least for me.

My post was spot on, like it or not. Rebels took care of business in an ugly, unimpressive way typical of most games in Lairame. Now they’ve won 4 of 5 heading into a big game this Saturday that if they win, would be huge. It would be their second quad 1 win in a two week span.

Will we win Saturday? Probably not. Could we? Certainly. Is the season over today? Only if you’re a miserable human, or if you hate the coach enough to hope they lose.
I dont think thats his point at all. First off, I dont think anyone "hates" the coach and are rooting for the team to lose- if you are, you arent a fan, you're a masochist. Hes a nice guy, who's over his skis so far.

As for the miserable part, losing is miserable. Finishing every season middle to bottom of the MWC is pretty miserable. Watching us lose in the first round while SDSU or USU or UNM or UNR celebrates a title at the Mack is also pretty miserable.

He’s regressed in the last couple weeks, but he’s still far better than he was last year.

Is that regression? Or a Sophomore playing with the consistency of a typical Sophomore?
He should be far more consistent as a junior. Same type of progression you see in lots of freshmen and sophomores. A talented supporting cast hides a lot of those sophomore flaws and we clearly don't have that much talent.

Reactions: AnthemRebel
As I said a month ago, UNLV is put together as a mostly defensive team, and really struggles with finding an offense. As the season goes along the rest of the MWC offense continues to improve while that of UNLV is mostly stagnant. If UNLV can't find consistency in their offense, they will continue to struggle in all of their games!
For a team purpose built for defense, we are playing atrocious defense giving up so many open 3s and forcing relatively few turnovers lately.

I dont understand how Iwuakor can commit so many fouls for a guy that is hardly involved in the game...
His fouls are tough calls a lot of the time. He is usually trying to get the ball out of the rebounders hands or after a loose ball. He just needs to not reach, keep his hands up and all will be well with him.

I dont think thats his point at all. First off, I dont think anyone "hates" the coach and are rooting for the team to lose- if you are, you arent a fan, you're a masochist. Hes a nice guy, who's over his skis so far.

As for the miserable part, losing is miserable. Finishing every season middle to bottom of the MWC is pretty miserable. Watching us lose in the first round while SDSU or USU or UNM or UNR celebrates a title at the Mack is also pretty miserable.
That’s a lot of misery you have. It’s not healthy. All those things suck, I agree, but they don’t make me miserable. I’m sorry they do you.

My point about misery- if you read it- was that calling the season over today (assuming you aren’t rooting for losses) makes you a freaking miserable fan. If misery is your thing, lap it up, but excuse me for not joining you. Instead I’ll continue to root for the team, embrace some positivity and cheer for progress until the season actually is over. Like a grown up would, as opposed to a child.

That’s a lot of misery you have. It’s not healthy. All those things suck, I agree, but they don’t make me miserable. I’m sorry they do you.

My point about misery- if you read it- was that calling the season over today (assuming you aren’t rooting for losses) makes you a freaking miserable fan. If misery is your thing, lap it up, but excuse me for not joining you. Instead I’ll continue to root for the team, embrace some positivity and cheer for progress until the season actually is over. Like a grown up would, as opposed to a child.
Just FYI, I don’t care that you’re throwing out some insults here and there. However, when you get insulted back, please don’t ask that others be censored. Allowing free speech means ALL speech (unless you are directly threatening someone’s health/livelihood/etc).

I wanted to put this out there before we receive any requests. We are fans just like everyone else and don’t want to waste our time parenting.

Please keep posting. This is by no means a threat, just being proactive.

Out of curiosity, how long have you closely followed the team? If you are a couple decades in and have seen some glory and the potential and then have witnessed mediocrity and sun mediocrity since, you might see things differently.

For me, it moved past misery many years ago - doesn’t hurt, doesn’t piss me off … but apathy is even worse than being pissed, imo. At least pissed means you still have a burning passion.

Depends on your starting point for a lot of it and it may also depend on if you are the type that is easily pleased

Out of curiosity, how long have you closely followed the team? If you are a couple decades in and have seen some glory and the potential and then have witnessed mediocrity and sun mediocrity since, you might see things differently.

For me, it moved past misery many years ago - doesn’t hurt, doesn’t piss me off … but apathy is even worse than being pissed, imo. At least pissed means you still have a burning passion.

Depends on your starting point for a lot of it and it may also depend on if you are the type that is easily pleased
"For me, it moved past misery many years ago - doesn’t hurt.........."

I'm trying to get there - still holding out.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I would not and have not asked for anyone to be censored.

And apologies for the “insults”. Not my intention to offend anyone. If someone feels insulted, I’m happy to apologize.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

First college basketball team I ever loved was the 89-90 team. Been a Rebel fan ever since, mostly because I grew up in Chicago and in lieu of a natural home-town team, I followed the Rebs because they were cool. Move to Vegas 20 years ago and went to Grad at UNLV.

Overreacting to every game and throwing tantrums online doesn’t feel like “burning passion” to me. It feels childish, short sighted, and as I said before, miserable. And if that’s you, great! Be that. I’m not trying to change you or anyone else. The people like me, who can be fans without losing our shit daily, aren’t apathetic. We’re adults.

Hot take.

If you don’t get seething mad and suffer misery over your basketball team after every game, you aren’t a passionate fan.

Kinda like how if you don’t share my political views, attend the same rallys, watch the same channel and constantly scream about how the other side is destroying America, you aren’t a passionate patriot like me.

Sorry, no thanks. That’s a crap way to live if you ask me. It’s not about when you became a fan or how. Your reactions are about what kind of person you are.

Last edited:
Hot take.

If you don’t get seething mad and suffer misery over your basketball team after every game, you aren’t a passionate fan.

Kinda like how if you don’t share my political views, attend the same rallys, watch the same channel and constantly scream about how the other side is destroying America, you aren’t a passionate patriot like me.

Sorry, no thanks. That’s a crap way to live if you ask me. It’s not about when you became a fan or how. Your reactions are about what kind of person you are.
People handle things differently. One of the primary reasons for starting this site 20+ years ago was for people to have a place to vent and a place to celebrate. I don't have a problem with how people handle things. Some people feel the need to vent, have at it. Some people handle it in a different way ... that's fine too. I don't know that there's a right way or a wrong way, there's only your unique way.

• Love
People handle things differently. One of the primary reasons for starting this site 20+ years ago was for people to have a place to vent and a place to celebrate. I don't have a problem with how people handle things. Some people feel the need to vent, have at it. Some people handle it in a different way ... that's fine too. I don't know that there's a right way or a wrong way, there's only your unique way.
Oh, and I wasn't saying you were apathetic because it doesn't upset you. I've definitely veered towards apathy myself. I know many, many others who have as well, and that very group is a big chunk of the regulars that don't attend much anymore. The 7K or so that make up the difference between the 11K regular and current 4k regular.

Oh, and I wasn't saying you were apathetic because it doesn't upset you. I've definitely veered towards apathy myself. I know many, many others who have as well, and that very group is a big chunk of the regulars that don't attend much anymore. The 7K or so that make up the difference between the 11K regular and current 4k regular.
It’s interesting. I do understand what you’re saying. Acknowledge it’s valid.

Its just for me, if a person suffers from apathy due to prolonged frustration, its because they aren’t managing their emotions very well. I get that a lot of people aren’t capable of doing that, and some aren’t even interested in trying. I’m sure not trying to change those people, but I have no interest in being like them either. Maybe that’s why I can enjoy the team through thick and thin, not give up on the season before it’s over, and have slightly more patience than someone who lets their frustrations drive them to apathy (or misery).

The part that makes me laugh the most about posting on here is when I post anything even remotely positive, it seems to piss-off some of our more emotionally distraught fans.

In this thread prior to the WY game I simply pointed out that the Rebs needed to take care of business in Laramie, and if they did, they’d have a “shot at redemption” in a big game next Saturday. Even that benign statement was enough to spark one guy to ask me what team I was watching, and tell me the season was already over. I advised him to get some help. He doesn’t seem to think he needs it, which is again, fine by me.

Last edited:
The
It’s interesting. I do understand what you’re saying. Acknowledge it’s valid.

Its just for me, if a person suffers from apathy due to prolonged frustration, its because they aren’t managing their emotions very well. I get that a lot of people aren’t capable of doing that, and some aren’t even interested in trying. I’m sure not trying to change those people, but I have no interest in being like them either. Maybe that’s why I can enjoy the team through thick and thin, not give up on the season before it’s over, and have slightly more patience than someone who lets their frustrations drive them to apathy (or misery).

The part that makes me laugh the most about posting on here is when I post anything even remotely positive, it seems to piss-off some of our more emotionally distraught fans.

In this thread prior to the WY game I simply pointed out that the Rebs needed to take care of business in Lairame, and if they did, they’d have a “shot at redemption” in a big game next Saturday. Even that benign statement was enough to spark one guy to ask me what team I was watching, and tell me the season was already over. I advised him to get some help. He doesn’t seem to think he needs it, which is again, fine by me.
i don’t know what game you watched in Laramie but I saw sh*t basketball for about 30 minutes.

I actually took the bus and watched it at a bar. Paid 20 bucks for nachos and a beer.

I sat there thinking..”WTF am I watching and why do I continue to put up with this?”

Sure the win looks good on paper. 10 points on the road at Laramie, Wyo has 3 players Gone.

In defense of Kev. He’s had to deal with 2 key players that are not playing. I would have loved to see Williams return instead of go to G league and Cottell out with a foot injury. If we can’t pay enough to keep a guy going to the G league and stay 1 more year, we are really doomed as a college program.

I barely saw Williams play last year but his length would have certainly helped.

We are missing a small forward at this level and it shows.

I don’t know what happened to this position but I always thought the small forward spot was very important. I used to think of this position as someone who can do EVERYTHING.

Well, that’s my worthless 2 cents.

• Haha
i don’t know what game you watched in Laramie but I saw sh*t basketball for about 30 minutes.
I most certainly did not call that game any kind of quality basketball 😂 it was hideous.

Worst shooting game we’ve had all year I think. Maybe

Only guy who played well is our best and most experienced player. Young guys really struggled. I think I’ve seen that before when teams travel to Laramie. Rebs seem to do it almost annually.

SDSU did it about a month ago and almost lost there. Cowboys led with 5min left and ended up losing by 5.

New Mexico won by 1 there on NYE.

Last edited:
I most certainly did not call that game any kind of quality basketball 😂 it was hideous.

Only guy who played well is our best and most experienced player. Young guys really struggled. I think I’ve seen that before when teams travel to Laramie. Rebs seem to do it almost annually.

SDSU did it about a month ago and almost lost there. Cowboys led with 5min left and ended up losing by 5.
I had an existential moment as a UNLV basketball fan from that game.

That’s a kind of game that can break the straw off the came of a back.

No seriously, it was awful.

Hey we pulled through but I’m afraid it’s going to get worse this Saturday.

New Mexico won by 1 there on NYE.
Kudos to Wyoming, they played their asses off. Absolute nothing to be ashamed of..except the air balls.

Hey we pulled through but I’m afraid it’s going to get worse this Saturday.
It could, that’s for sure 😁 I hope we show up. but it will be interesting to watch regardless. Trip like this is a chance to show growth and character for a lot of guys.

more importantly, for the team it’s a chance to go 5 of 6 and get our second quad 1 win in two weeks. We’d be 17-8 with wins against three ranked teams, two of those on the road.

I’ll have my 🍿 season doesn’t seem over just yet

Last edited:
Wyoming beat Reno last night in a game Reno really needed. Just more proof that this year, no one in the mountain west completely stinks unlike many other years where you could beat the bottom or 3 in the mountain west just by showing up.

Wyoming beat Reno last night in a game Reno really needed. Just more proof that this year, no one in the mountain west completely stinks unlike many other years where you could beat the bottom or 3 in the mountain west just by showing up.
Or alternatively, everyone except SDSU and maybe Boise are mediocre and have been propped up by inflated OCC schedules and that the leagues "NET" ranking doesn't actually mean anything because the majority of the teams are overrated and while it makes for competitive league play, they're all equally bad.

Or alternatively, everyone except SDSU and maybe Boise are mediocre and have been propped up by inflated OCC schedules and that the leagues "NET" ranking doesn't actually mean anything because the majority of the teams are overrated and while it makes for competitive league play, they're all equally bad.
Exactly. I think the bottom is better, the top is a bit weaker, middle is about the same. It’s not a good conference. I supposed we could play up the great MWC, so finishing 7th is actually an overachievement?

A pocket of our fans tend to do this sort of thing. Anything but admitting we may, gasp, have underachieved. It’s always something other than us. Play the victim, don’t accept responsibility, like up and grab that participation trophy with a smile on your face for a job well done.

It’s the refs, they’re out to get us, Silvercannon was injured all year, the frigid cold global warming kept fans away and we didn’t get a fair home court advantage.

Reactions: rebelzzz
And as a result, watch the conference drastically underperform in the tournament again, yet puff out their chests at getting 4 teams in or 5 teams into the tournament.
SDSU should be the only team to get in unless they don’t receive the auto bid. But likely it won’t happen and we will get 3 teams in that don’t deserve it.

Boise and Reno are barely in right now and USU is outside looking in according to lunardi. Rebels have a chance to end 2 teams seasons this week, maybe they’ll care about that and come out motivated, maybe not.

SDSU should be the only team to get in unless they don’t receive the auto bid. But likely it won’t happen and we will get 3 teams in that don’t deserve it.

Boise and Reno are barely in right now and USU is outside looking in according to lunardi. Rebels have a chance to end 2 teams seasons this week, maybe they’ll care about that and come out motivated, maybe not.
They screwed up the season badly enough … and this wouldn’t make up for it … but you’d think that UNLV would take it as hard motivation to end their season hopes. It’s sad when your season becomes playing a spoiler, it’s really bad, it means you had a pathetic, underachieving season, but it nice for them to put on their big boy pants for a change and finish out the season with some effort.

47% from three on his post from verbal commits. I'm looking for 6'7" guard transferring from TT to give us a call. From Germany so he might be open to a change of scenery.

IMO, we just aren't going to get many transfers (if any) that are being actively pursued by higher profile ( i.e. winning ) programs. Obviously, much will depend on who transfers out. But I expect we'll get players who were either recruited over, starters who were getting @ 20 min and want more, were 6th - 8th off the bench or players who leave a program because their coach was fired. We aren't going to get players who people have heard of unless there was some previous connection to one of our coaches.

My hope is we land three players. A good big, a Harkless replacement and a better point than we've seen in a long time. If we can get five, add another scorer and another big. Those players could make a huge difference. But all three upgrades are needed - two won't do it.

I just hope KK can get them and they play hard.

IMO, we just aren't going to get many transfers (if any) that are being actively pursued by higher profile ( i.e. winning ) programs. Obviously, much will depend on who transfers out. But I expect we'll get players who were either recruited over, starters who were getting @ 20 min and want more, were 6th - 8th off the bench or players who leave a program because their coach was fired. We aren't going to get players who people have heard of unless there was some previous connection to one of our coaches.

My hope is we land three players. A good big, a Harkless replacement and a better point than we've seen in a long time. If we can get five, add another scorer and another big. Those players could make a huge difference. But all three upgrades are needed - two won't do it.

I just hope KK can get them and they play hard.
This is all on point. As of those in the portal rn, I really want Roddie Anderson III from UCSD. Maybe I'm biased because hes a California kid and I know him personally but hes a dog! For those interested, look him up. Averaged about 13, 4, and 4.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT