ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Practice Notes

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Sorry about missing Monday.

Qb-All the QBs struggled early in Red Zone situation. Palandech was picked by Troy Hawthorne leading to a TD for the defense. He followed that up with a check down pass to Lexington Thomas that got blown up by Robert Jackson. This lead to an absolutely epic meltdown from Barney Cotton. It went on for about three minutes. This is what was said 'Are @^^##% ^$$$^& kidding ^#$%% you %$#%&_ soft $%^#& &&/%'. There was more that was said that would have gotten him arrested by the PC police. Palandech redeemed himself a bit scrambling for a TD. Stanton came in threw a beautiful pass over the middle for a TD to Tim Holt. From then on you could feel a subtle shift in the QB competition. Later Stanton performed well in end of game situations. Best day Stanton has had in camp. Lopez threw a long TD to Woods late in practice. Stanton also executed a beautiful zone read keeper that had everybody fooled.

RB- Xzavier Campbell looked great. Had a number of good runs during the day, showing good feet and power. David Green also had some nice carries as well. This is probably the deepest position on the team.

WR- Boyd more involved today and seems close to 100%. Woods had one drop in the endzone, but made up for it with late TD catch.

OL-No new news other than Singer's return may not be until the fall.

DL-Alo-Wily had a tackle for loss and a 'sack' and continues to impress. Zepeda had a tackle for loss and a batted pass, and seems to be getting more comfortable transitioning to DE. Vaolaga also had a batted pass and a sack.

LB- Keyes/MCALEENAN battle heating up. Keyes saw time with the 1s today. I expect Keyes to ultimately win the job, but McAleenan has to be making this tough on staff with his play. Kid is smart and knows where to be. McCoy saw time with the 1s and may surpass Lea soon.

DB-Top three continue to be McTyer, Hough and Mouton. Robert Jackson had a nice pass break up and the big hit on Thomas. I think he is getting more comfortable and starting to put pressure on the top 3 which is good. Keys and Hawthorne remain top 2 at safety. Considering all the losses to graduation at SF and CB, this group has been really good.

K-Ok the directional punting was bad. There you go kickers...

Last edited:
Sorry about missing Monday.

Apology not accepted. In our time of greatest need of relief from bball stuff, you left us deserted.

RB- Xzavier Campbell looked great. Had a number of good runs on during the day, showing good feet and power. David Green also had some nice carries as well. This is probably the deepest position on the team.

WR- Boyd more involved today and seems close to 100%. Woods had one drop in the endzone, but made up for it with late TD catch.

I can't think of a time when UNLV has had such a strong group of skill players at RB/WR. I'm sure I'm forgetting years where we had talent (wait... are there forgettable years of UNLV football??) but this group seems primed for a great season. Whitely was steady last year and X/Lex each showed flashes of brilliance, and at wideout, Boyd/Keys are probably the top duo of receivers in the conference, and the young guys (specifically Woods) seem to be ready to contribute.

We've said it before, but if the QB is able to produce this season, I don't see any way that our offense isn't very potent. With the wideouts we've got, teams shouldn't be able to stack the box against us, as long as a QB can get them the ball. That was an issue for KP last year. Get the wideouts involved, and our RB trio should be able to pound or gash teams on the ground.

Thanks again, @Bullmastiff 1.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Apology not accepted. In our time of greatest need of relief from bball stuff, you left us deserted.

I can't think of a time when UNLV has had such a strong group of skill players at RB/WR. I'm sure I'm forgetting years where we had talent (wait... are there forgettable years of UNLV football??) but this group seems primed for a great season. Whitely was steady last year and X/Lex each showed flashes of brilliance, and at wideout, Boyd/Keys are probably the top duo of receivers in the conference, and the young guys (specifically Woods) seem to be ready to contribute.

We've said it before, but if the QB is able to produce this season, I don't see any way that our offense isn't very potent. With the wideouts we've got, teams shouldn't be able to stack the box against us, as long as a QB can get them the ball. That was an issue for KP last year. Get the wideouts involved, and our RB trio should be able to pound or gash teams on the ground.

The combo of Boyd and Keys may be tops in the conference. Behind them, its just a matter how quickly Woods and Presley develop. We only go four deep with scholarship guys until fall which is a little concerning.

Agree. If we can stretch teams down the field occasionally it will really open the run game. We saw it last year when Decker played, the whole playbook was open. When Palandech was in defenses could key on the run more.

Stanton hasn't been great so far this spring but today was better, and he seemed more comfortable.

I ll be out there friday for sure. Thanks for the info. Sometimes I wish we could drop into a 3-4 so Keyes and McAleenan could play at the same time. Bc, just for you, I ll watch the kickers and punters friday.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Kendal Keys has really stepped up this spring. He finished last year strong and has continued his solid play. With Boyd being limited for the first part of spring it was nice to see Woods and Keys step up . Will only help the Offense moving forward as more WR get established.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT