ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas ….

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Again, haven’t read or posted much at all lately …

The Knights winning, all the things around it, the celebrations, the players, the reactions, the pride, all of it - FANTASTIC. You don’t HAVE to win a championship to bring forward that overall sensation but it is the ultimate.

And now the Aces are dominating.

Vegas is the spot.

Football recruiting has been strong, looking forward to what a seasoned head coach can do with the program. Can’t help but be optimistic.

Basketball recruiting picked up and the schedule appears to be better, so at least it’s something to look forward to instead of expecting more of them same and then the Rebels actually delivering more of the same.

It probably has as much to do with my stage in life as anything, but as great as the Knights were for the city … and trust me, I’m not downplaying it … it was incredibly impactful to the city … but for me, personally (I certainly don’t expect everyone to feel this way), it paled in comparison to the Rebels of the glory years. I say that because … I don’t want to say pride faded … but it’s not in the forefront of the mind for me, nearly every second of every day. Probably has as much to do with my age as anything (less impressionable now, other priorities?). But when the Rebels won it all, as happy as I was, I remember how sad I was because it was over. And I'm talking immediately after the final horn. Just a wave of emotions that carried me through to the next season. That didn’t happen with the Knights, not for me. I still find myself watching clips of the Knights playoff run and the celebration daily … so it’s not like it disappeared. But the intensity isn’t the same.

That said, way back when, when there was an empty spot in the sporting slate, I hated it. Was bored. Anticipation of next was always heavy. Was able to fill somewhat with baseball back then, I don’t do that now. I look forward to the empty sports time now … gives me a chance to do some other things I want to do (part of why I haven’t been on much lately).

But overall, even though this city has transformed from something I loved to something I don’t like (corporate, loss of community feel), it still is great to finally witness some success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News