ADVERTISEMENT

USU

I am not debating the foul or the 3 pts shot, what I am saying is that.....EITHER YOU COUNT TO SHOT OR THE FOUL, IT IS NOT BOTH LIKE THESE IDIOTS REFS COUNTED.
Someone will lose their job with this decision. Hopefully those damn stupid referees.

The refs being a factor sucks but we could have won that game today with better play down the stretch. It’s on the staff for no adjustments and the players too. But Kevin has already shown us who he is and regardless, he has to go!

This team reflects the lack of a good HC far too often for me!

Reactions: butta1231
Someone will lose their job with this decision. Hopefully those damn stupid referees.
Never happen. The league and the refs are like surgeons. Nobody did anything wrong. That's their story and they will stick to it.

Disagree with just about all of you. Great game and execution by our team and coaching staff. They did what it took to win the game. They deserved to win the game.

Don’t know how this officiating crew isn’t looked into. Obviously there was something behind the scenes going on here.

I was at the game. What did the announcers on TV say about the OOB call and the foul at the end.

Unlv got hosed. But they did look like a solid team today.
No they did not. There were not play call for the interiors. Kalib hurried every shot. There were not offence attack beside the outside shots. F*ck!

Disagree with just about all of you. Great game and execution by our team and coaching staff. They did what it took to win the game. They deserved to win the game.

Don’t know how this officiating crew isn’t looked into. Obviously there was something behind the scenes going on here.
No shit.

I was at the game. What did the announcers on TV say about the OOB call and the foul at the end.
TV crew said they were surprised by the call, that maybe LuRod hit it out of the USU player's hands. But it didn't seem obvious on the replay. Still looked like USU hands had it last.

I’ve seen five point plays before. That’s not the big deal to me.

The big deal is apparently, routine blockouts are fouls. Shit; they should have called an intentional hip check and given them possession too.

It’s a joke to lose a game in this manner. Kids fight, on both sides … all game long … and fouls happen and need to be called … but that wasn’t even a no, eh, maybe …. It was a good block out. Had the foul not been called and UNLV win, Kevin might use that clip on how to block out a defender away from the basket when there’s a lot of space.

Nothing is going to make it better. Refs can come out and say they blew it. The league can fine them or fire them. It’s not changing anything.

I nearly puked when that whistle blew because you could almost envision this sort of bs before the game ended.

I dont want to lose KK as our coach but damnit he is making harder and harder to defend him. You are up by 4, why didn't you foul aright away?
Foul right at the moment the other team get the ball in or before.

UNLV and Kevin Kruger just lost a game with 29 seconds to go and up by 4 points. UNLV managed to lost this game.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Rebel702
The foul on the blockout turned flop was horrendous. Ref that made the call was on the baseline and couldn’t see shit. Even hesitated after he blew the whistle on who he was going to point to.

However, the out of bounds call with just under 2 minutes, which led to a 3 for USU, was downright insulting. All three refs saw the replay. Multiple angles available. Luis’s hand didn’t even get above the shoulder of the USU player. TV crew were shocked and confused.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Layered on top of the lousy OOC losses and the Hill injury this loss is tough to take when the refs made themselves part of the outcome especially given the impact one key home loss can have on conf rankings by end of season. I thought the days of ref bias against UNLV were largely over but this was just blatant. I still lay it on the coaching staff for their poor mgmt of the last 5 min but it was a W but for the refs.

Idk about great coaching. You have to coach the full 40 minutes, I don’t know WTF CKK was thinking letting USU walk up and fire off a three (unlv up 4) with seconds to spare. Everyone knows in that situation you FOUL. What the hell was he telling the team in the previous TO?

Just mind blowing and this is like the 3rd or fourth time now he just lets a freshman take a critical shot in the final seconds.

Again, none of this crap would have happened if we had a coach that had situational awareness. This is why he has to go.

Regardless of how it happened. If your team just got hosed the way we did, you get yourself suspended by the league in your post game interviews. Simply saying that it's hard to tell the guys to compete after they get hosed is not adequate. Your team just got royally screwed and you should let them know it.

Regardless of how it happened. If your team just got hosed the way we did, you get yourself suspended by the league in your post game interviews. Simply saying that it's hard to tell the guys to compete after they get hosed is not adequate. Your team just got royally screwed and you should let them know it.
Agree, but he’s a freaking Kruger. Not the way they operate.

Idk about great coaching. You have to coach the full 40 minutes, I don’t know WTF CKK was thinking letting USU walk up and fire off a three (unlv up 4) with seconds to spare. Everyone knows in that situation you FOUL. What the hell was he telling the team in the previous TO?

Just mind blowing and this is like the 3rd or fourth time now he just lets a freshman take a critical shot in the final seconds.

Again, none of this crap would have happened if we had a coach that had situational awareness. This is why he has to go.
If you’re going entire by body of work, I can see the argument.

I don’t think this game fuels the argument all that much though. And I don’t think this game was lost because of coaching (yes, there were mistakes), I think it was lost by officiating and I’m one who usually shrugs off officiating.

If you tunnel vision this by the game only, this isn’t primarily on Kevin.

If you’re going entire by body of work, I can see the argument.

I don’t think this game fuels the argument all that much though. And I don’t think this game was lost because of coaching (yes, there were mistakes), I think it was lost by officiating and I’m one who usually shrugs off officiating.

If you tunnel vision this by the game only, this isn’t primarily on Kevin.
The whole end of game sequence could have been avoided by just fouling and unlv probably walks away with a win. The problem is, the staff and players thought they had it in the bag. This resulted in no situational awareness and the loss of a 4 point lead in a snap.

I don’t know how many times I got to watch this staff blow games, they just refuse to take the bull by the horns.

The whole end of game sequence could have been avoided by just fouling and unlv probably walks away with a win. The problem is, the staff and players thought they had it in the bag. This resulted in no situational awareness and the loss of a 4 point lead in a snap.

I don’t know how many times I got to watch this staff blow games, they just refuse to take the bull by the horns.
Two distinct schools of thought in fouling up three and I think it comes down to preference. Part of it does come down to situation, seconds and distance to stat or the play.

I believe in defending straight up instead of fouling. About 20 years ago, I remember CSU in the same situation as we were in today, this was In Moby.

CSU obviously was instructed to foul. I don’t know, 2-3 seconds left, UNLV inbounded to Lou Kelly who took one dribble and pulled up from just inside the halfcourt line (talking with Lou later, he felt it was coming so he anticipated and pulled up for the shot quickly). Fouled on a 45 foot three point attempt. Hits the three FT’s, heads to OT, UNLV wins.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
I should have known that after I made a positive comment, coach Kruger and team fell flat on their face. No doubt the coaching in the last 2 minutes fell flat on its face!

Reactions: UNLVbro
I should have known that after I made a positive comment, coach Kruger and team fell flat on their face. No doubt the coaching in the last 2 minutes fell flat on its face!
Gotta know by now … win a game, extend him, great coach, great xs and os, great use of timeouts and substitutions. Lose a game, fire him on the spot, should give back his contract money, should be coaching a church league …

One of the more predictable things here.

Gotta know by now … win a game, extend him, great coach, great xs and os, great use of timeouts and substitutions. Lose a game, fire him on the spot, should give back his contract money, should be coaching a church league …

One of the more predictable things here.
I am more than happy/or not happy to admit I have been all over the place regarding Kruger! I feel like a person on death row, who feels better every time I get a stay of execution, just to have a new date set.

Two distinct schools of thought in fouling up three and I think it comes down to preference. Part of it does come down to situation, seconds and distance to stat or the play.

I believe in defending straight up instead of fouling. About 20 years ago, I remember CSU in the same situation as we were in today, this was In Moby.

CSU obviously was instructed to foul. I don’t know, 2-3 seconds left, UNLV inbounded to Lou Kelly who took one dribble and pulled up from just inside the halfcourt line (talking with Lou later, he felt it was coming so he anticipated and pulled up for the shot quickly). Fouled on a 45 foot three point attempt. Hits the three FT’s, heads to OT, UNLV wins.
Yeah but we’re up four points, Joe. Not three.

It was a two possession game and all we had to do was foul before they get close to the arc. Most likely two shots, worst case scenario is 3 shots and we’re still up one. Point is, you foul to maintain control and not leave it up to chance which is what CKK did today. You can’t do that as a .500 team trying to scratch and claw your way back into things (postseason considerations).

It’s extremely frustrating to watch this guy coach and knowing the ONLY reason why he’s in that chair is because of his last name. It’s amateur hour on the sidelines and he let down his players today. He should be ashamed of himself.

To say I’m livid is an understatement, if I was AD, I would ask him to tender his resignation tonight because he’ll never figure it out.

Yeah but we’re up four points, Joe. Not three.

It was a two possession game and all we had to do was foul before they get close to the arc. Most likely two shots, worst case scenario is 3 shots and we’re still up one. Point is, you foul to maintain control and not leave it up to chance which is what CKK did today. You can’t do that as a .500 team trying to scratch and claw your way back into things (postseason considerations).

It’s extremely frustrating to watch this guy coach and knowing the ONLY reason why he’s in that chair is because of his last name. It’s amateur hour on the sidelines and he let down his players today. He should be ashamed of himself.

To say I’m livid is an understatement, if I was AD, I would ask him to tender his resignation tonight because he’ll never figure it out.
Duh. My bad. I keep thinking we were up 3, not 4.

But even so, I still wouldn’t have fouled up 4 either, even less so.

I’m still aggravated as well. That was a game in hand.

Up six with a minute and a half left, you shouldn’t be dropping that. Ever. We allowed 10 points and only hit 3/4 FT’s.

Fouling up 4 is the single dumbest thing a coach could do. Why put them to the line, almost guaranteeing points? Kevin isn’t a good coach, but I challenge anyone saying we should have fouled up 4 to find ANY coaching intentionally fouling up 4. It is not a thing in basketball.

We would probably all agree Nate Oats is a good coach, well he was just up 4 against Miss St tonight with less than 20 seconds left. He sure as hell didn’t intentionally foul. Nobody fouls up 4 and if they did the AD would meet them in the locker room to can them right away.

Let’s say UNLV fouls, you then are probably down 2 with USU getting to set up any pressure they want out of the inbounds. Now let’s say they make the first and miss the 2nd, how many times have we seen UNLV give up an offensive rebound? They could kick that out for a 3 and boom you just turned a 4 point game into a tie game by fouling.

You foul to EXTEND the game. UNLV was trying to run that clock out as quick as possible, why stop it and give them free points?

Now being up 3 and fouling is a practice that coaches are split on, but that makes sense. I challenge anyone saying we should’ve fouled up 4 to find me an example of ANY coach doing that at ANY level. It’s simply not a thing and would be an idiotic thing to do

Yet we just watched unlv let USU walk right up to the three point line and nail one to be down one, Putting the pressure on unlv anyway. Fouling USU before they get anywhere near the line, forces them to convert multiple opportunities and that means more pressure.

It’s the same scenario as last season vs Colorado State, another blown 4 point lead with seconds to go. Colorado state hits a three, Gilbert loses the ball, CSU guy loses it, foul. We hit two FTs and they hit a miracle shot to send it into OT and win.

Could have been avoided if they just fouled to limit the 3 point shot. Both times neglected to do it and both times CSU hit the 3. It’s called controlling the game, our HC doesn’t do that.

Reactions: rebel5280
Yet we just watched unlv let USU walk right up to the three point line and nail one to be down one, Putting the pressure on unlv anyway. Fouling USU before they get anywhere near the line, forces them to convert multiple opportunities and that means more pressure.

It’s the same scenario as last season vs Colorado State, another blown 4 point lead with seconds to go. Colorado state hits a three, Gilbert loses the ball, CSU guy loses it, foul. We hit two FTs and they hit a miracle shot to send it into OT and win.

Could have been avoided if they just fouled to limit the 3 point shot. Both times neglected to do it and both times CSU hit the 3. It’s called controlling the game, our HC doesn’t do that.
It also puts UNLV in more pressure situations by having to get the ball in and make free throws.

I agree Kevin doesn’t control the game, but no HC would foul up 4

It also puts UNLV in more pressure situations by having to get the ball in and make free throws.

I agree Kevin doesn’t control the game, but no HC would foul up 4
I don’t think it does with the amount of time on the clock and a lead in hand.

Maybe we shouldn’t have fouled, didn’t do it versus Colorado State and now Utah State. I’m just a guy on a message board. What do I know?

I'm going to flag down the next kid I see on a bicycle wearing a tie that has a friend tagging along. The only way USU wins that game is if the hand of God swoops down and intervenes. God has to be on the side of the Mormons. Sign me up.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
OUCH This one Burns

Which ever way our season ends up going -

This is a game they should've won. This one is going to STING as a loss. I don't know how it can be a good thing for moral ? who knows ?

Did Kevin make some coaching mistakes ? OBviously USU made better half time adjustments. I guess You can say he isn't very good at working the REfs thats for sure.

JR had a CLEAN look to win it - He should've made that shot - Good for him all the blame is on the Refs. He hasn't had very good success with game winners.

I have a problem with zero accountability for the loss

Facts are they blew a very big opportunity -

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT