ADVERTISEMENT

UNM

Looking forward to our second shot at SDSU. Too bad we lost Hill but if we keep playing strong team D we have a decent shot.

Looking forward to our second shot at SDSU. Too bad we lost Hill but if we keep playing strong team D we have a decent shot.
It will take incredible inner strength to come cack after this loss against USU.

It will take incredible inner strength to come cack after this loss against USU.
Even with the conference losses, UNLV has defended at a much higher level than 6 games ago, shooting it better; too.

If they don’t leave the defense focus, they’ll be ok. By ok I don’t mean top quarter of league, but they won’t be a flopper conference team.

I think they’ll bounce back fine. If the D is a little too lose next game, then this loss today took its toll. I think we will know pretty early in the game.

Even with the conference losses, UNLV has defended at a much higher level than 6 games ago, shooting it better; too.

If they don’t leave the defense focus, they’ll be ok. By ok I don’t mean top quarter of league, but they won’t be a flopper conference team.

I think they’ll bounce back fine. If the D is a little too lose next game, then this loss today took its toll. I think we will know pretty early in the game.
".shooting it better; too."

Not really. We shot 27% from three. This team absolutely needs 35% + to win. Do that in this game and we win going away.

Martinez - shoots 16 made three's in 14 games. Makes 6 against us. UGH!!!!!!!!!!! How many times has an opposing player gone off on us for a win?

So who would you start Jackie or Justin going Forward
Depends on the opponent.
JJ brings something different to the table in athleticism and speed but both are inconsistent shooting the ball. JJ might get the edge on most nights though!

For now, start JJ. If Websters shot returns then he should get the nod.

Webster averaging 30 min a game and 8 points. 28% from three. He is supposed to be a three point shooter.

JJ averaging 17 min. 7 points a game. 39% from three.

Other aspects ( steals, TO, assists ) go to Webster by a pretty wide margin.

JJ should be getting at @ 1/2 of the minutes. Start JJ. On the first substitution of Webster if he hits a couple of three's keep him in. If he sparks some turnovers, keep him in. Beyond that, JJ should play. But if Webster starts hitting shots like last year and the year before then he should get more of the minutes.

For now, start JJ. If Websters shot returns then he should get the nod.

Webster averaging 30 min a game and 8 points. 28% from three. He is supposed to be a three point shooter.

JJ averaging 17 min. 7 points a game. 39% from three.

Other aspects ( steals, TO, assists ) go to Webster by a pretty wide margin.

JJ should be getting at @ 1/2 of the minutes. Start JJ. On the first substitution of Webster if he hits a couple of three's keep him in. If he sparks some turnovers, keep him in. Beyond that, JJ should play. But if Webster starts hitting shots like last year and the year before then he should get more of the minutes.
I can see where statistics are meaningless. My emphasis is defense. Brooklyn and Nowell should be getting the minutes as we play Wyo, AF to get up to speed. JJ and Webster just can't guard consistently, even the passing lanes are left open as Webster always backs off on a offensive drive. He doesn't move his feet well to his backside to cut off the drive.

I can see where statistics are meaningless. My emphasis is defense. Brooklyn and Nowell should be getting the minutes as we play Wyo, AF to get up to speed. JJ and Webster just can't guard consistently, even the passing lanes are left open as Webster always backs off on a offensive drive. He doesn't move his feet well to his backside to cut off the drive.
Webster, JJ, Hicks and Nowell all have warts. While Hicks and Nowell are bigger, their play seems to be out of control too often. JJ is small and Webster is inconsistent offensively and defensively which leaves us with a hole at the 2 spot. Nowell should be further along than he is and why he can’t stay in the floor is head scratching. Hicks needs another year and JJ needs another 3 inches lol but Webster being the way he is as an experienced guy is the most confusing of all!

Webster, JJ, Hicks and Nowell all have warts. While Hicks and Nowell are bigger, their play seems to be out of control too often. JJ is small and Webster is inconsistent offensively and defensively which leaves us with a hole at the 2 spot. Nowell should be further along than he is and why he can’t stay in the floor is head scratching. Hicks needs another year and JJ needs another 3 inches lol but Webster being the way he is as an experienced guy is the most confusing of all!
Nowell and Hicks need reps. There's only one way to get there. This over-tightening of the rotation feels like mild panicking from the coaches.

Everyone is justifiably upset at the officiating down the stretch, but what really opened the door was running out of gas in the second half collectively causing offense to sputter and seeing Utah St hit the 3 at 48% when for the season they are 32.5% from 3.

Webster has the senior yips. He's trying too hard and now it's affecting his belief.

There is no alpha J-Web and JJ3 are providing that suggests they should receive the bulk of the minutes over Hicks and Nowell, imo. You have to defend to win in this league.

Reactions: booglowry
Nowell and Hicks need reps. There's only one way to get there. This over-tightening of the rotation feels like mild panicking from the coaches.

Everyone is justifiably upset at the officiating down the stretch, but what really opened the door was running out of gas in the second half collectively causing offense to sputter and seeing Utah St hit the 3 at 48% when for the season they are 32.5% from 3.

Webster has the senior yips. He's trying too hard and now it's affecting his belief.

There is no alpha J-Web and JJ3 are providing that suggests they should receive the bulk of the minutes over Hicks and Nowell, imo. You have to defend to win in this league.
Agree!

We do not need to tighten anything, we need to get guys on the court. Injuries have changed things a bit and we need to make better adjustments but don’t start sitting guys now, we will need them come end of February and early March!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT