ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs ASU

Rebelious1

Rebel Legend
Silver Member
Mar 4, 2004
A fight to get CKK’s services could occur between Rebels and Devils. Does Harper need to extend Kevin now?

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
A fight to get CKK’s services could occur between Rebels and Devils. Does Harper need to extend Kevin now?
I see information that Bobby Hurley is considering other jobs and is on the hot seat. I can’t find articles that show CKK is being in line for the job. Where did you find this?

Kruger attended and played for ASU. Is considered an up and coming coach. Kruger makes less than $1m a year. I’m connecting the dots.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There is no way ASU would take him right now. The big question is does he finish the season well enough that he stays? Currently I have a feeling that he has done just enough that unless they find a sure hit hire, he will be back next year.

There is no way ASU would take him right now. The big question is does he finish the season well enough that he stays? Currently I have a feeling that he has done just enough that unless they find a sure hit hire, he will be back next year.
As I've been saying for a while, unless they came up with a pot of money, and have a really good coach lined up, I'd roll with CKK at this point. The team has done much better the 2nd half of the season, and though we'll be losing a ton of production in the offseason, there are also some good pieces that will (hopefully) be returning. If we fire him, pay him out, then settle for a different entry level hire, we'll just be starting over like with CKK and Menzies in year 1.

Reactions: TimothyC3
LK has something going good here. Has beaten three ranked teams and hasn’t even come out of retirement yet.

Clear as day.
He still has four games to make a case for staying, as well as the MWC tournament. Funny how winning the Utah State game or unr game would have put UNLV on the edge of an at large bid based on their current low to mid 70's ranking (most likely mid 50's will be the last cutoff team). There are still 6 MWC teams listed in the top 42 composite. It is almost like they are treating the MWC like one of the other major conferences this year, but we will need to see how many actually get bids for the NCAA? No doubt Southern and Air Force cost UNLV a lot!

Reactions: LVBC189 and UNLVbro
Clear as day.
With NIL and ability for players to transfer much easier than ever before, I don't know that I buy into that whole 'lame duck' coach philosophy anymore. It used to hold more weight since you would mostly recruit HS players, and then maybe get a couple transfers. With the way it is now, unless you can get the top HS players, you're better off bringing in fewer HS guys and more impact transfers. Which, in that case, the coach doesn't need multiple years extensions when they still have 1-2 years left.

If we give him any extension, change the payouts significantly for us firing him versus him being poached.
I think that’s what unlv did with Rice when he leveraged USF. In exchange, Rice got extension plus more pay for assistants.

I could be mistaken but that’s my recollection.

I'm one of the more Pro Kruger guys on this site, but barring a miracle finish to the end of the season, with NCAA tourney wins, I am not in favor of extending Kruger. Keeping him, yes.

It is a leverage play, something that his agent should be doing. But they need to be careful not to antagonize Harper too much. It's not like his seat is ice cold.

ASU is about to move into an absolute buzzsaw of a conference in basketball next season. It will be unreal. I think they are looking for someone more established as Kevin right now.

I'm one of the more Pro Kruger guys on this site, but barring a miracle finish to the end of the season, with NCAA tourney wins, I am not in favor of extending Kruger. Keeping him, yes.

It is a leverage play, something that his agent should be doing. But they need to be careful not to antagonize Harper too much. It's not like his seat is ice cold.

ASU is about to move into an absolute buzzsaw of a conference in basketball next season. It will be unreal. I think they are looking for someone more established as Kevin right now.
I was on the fence, but I am becoming firmly in the camp to let Kevin stay at least another year. A PG like Dedan does not come around often, and he may attract a really good player or two in the portal. I imagine a couple of good ballers out there will want to play with a DJ. Having two years left in the portal era is not an expiring deal now for most players with HS recruiting much less significant.

I am so pro-football that I would rather invest any potential buyout money in the football program in attempt to win a MW conference title and a bowl game. That is the gateway to bigger things for the entire athletic program. Football attendance is now about 3x basketball. Let's ride the football wave and as the tide rises, everything is lifted.

We need to dance to extend. This program is desperately in need of some form of postseason even if we don't dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT