ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV vs Akron Game Thread

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Call me stupid, but I think we show up and win tonight. Whats sad is that I even have to use terms like "show up" against a team like Akron. They aren't bad, but we should be beating them, no questions asked.

Call me stupid, but I think we show up and win tonight. Whats sad is that I even have to use terms like "show up" against a team like Akron. They aren't bad, but we should be beating them, no questions asked.
I remember when we used to worry about games vs Arizona or Kansas, Oregon … … and some a tiny bit lower than that, knowing the team would be in a battle vs an ASU or Utah or Wisconsin, feeling good about our chances against teams a little lower than that, P5 teams that weren’t great like Minnesota or BYU.

Now we cross our fingers for games and pray we don’t lose vs Pepperdine and Bradley and Akron.

It’s been a long, long drop.

I remember when we used to worry about games vs Arizona or Kansas, Oregon … … and some a tiny bit lower than that, knowing the team would be in a battle vs an ASU or Utah or Wisconsin, feeling good about our chances against teams a little lower than that, P5 teams that weren’t great like Minnesota or BYU.

Now we cross our fingers for games and pray we don’t lose vs Pepperdine and Bradley and Akron.

It’s been a long, long drop.
I agree and long for a return to some sort of respectability but for now I am content to throw every available dollar at football as that is what will get us into a power conference. Once that happens we will have plenty of cash to throw at basketball.
Beat Boise, win our bowl game and no telling what will transpire. Realignment isnt done yet. If not this year maybe next or who knows when or what?

I read that KK has been concentrating on defense since the Florida debacle. If he needs more time on defense it makes you wonder what the h*ll he was doing for the entire pre season. It certainly wasn't offense.
He’s always “working on defense” yet we’ve played the same switching man since he arrived. You’d think that by spending that much time focusing on that side of the ball that we’d see an Amoeba or some other intricate attack.

And if UNV dont win. Should UNLV fires KK assz/? I thought we should fires his ass$ after Southern game. Just fires his as$ please if he lose to Akron.

I can't remember the last time I didn't want to watch a UNLV mens basketball game. How are they doing?

I can't remember the last time I didn't want to watch a UNLV mens basketball game. How are they doing?
I seriously have better things to do. I'll wait for the highlights.

...I'm as diehard as they come when it comes to basketball, and I can seriously give 2 Shitz about this games outcome. You want to know why? Because CKK and this team won't come anywhere near close to the amount of joy I have felt from our football success this season. I prefer basketball 100% because of Tark. I'd absolutely love for Odom to become UNLV's Tark of football.

Akron is actually good. Freeman a beast. We stalled out in the 2nd half and darn near lost our 18 point lead. We did hustle. Would like to see DJ force the issue a bit more as none of our other guys can create much on their own.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Today unlv beat a team with maybe a bit more athletic talent than us. That is a positive for coaches and players.

I just shake my head at the recruiting. Only Kalib Boone and DJ would get many minutes on p5 teams in the top half of their conferences. I get we are not the power we once were, but I read somewhere in the last year we were 41st in something like attractiveness to recruits, yet our roster is way below that rank. Our shooters cannot move great, and those with decent athletic skills like LuRod suck at shooting.

Today unlv beat a team with maybe a bit more athletic talent than us. That is a positive for coaches and players.

I just shake my head at the recruiting. Only Kalib Boone and DJ would get many minutes on p5 teams in the top half of their conferences. I get we are not the power we once were, but I read somewhere in the last year we were 41st in something like attractiveness to recruits, yet our roster is way below that rank. Our shooters cannot move great, and those with decent athletic skills like LuRod suck at shooting.
Hill would get plenty of time as well. LuRod too I think. This team perplexes me because I actually feel like we have decent talent and veteran players. Krugers schemes just don’t work well and it feels like like something isn’t clicking. They just can’t figure it out.

Hill is 1 inch shorter than Freeman. When we got Hill I thought he would play similar to Freeman. Hill is a shadow of Freeman.

Reactions: rebel5280

JJ3 would get minutes. This year he is playing o bout 14- 15 minutes a game and is averaging 10 a game

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Guys guess what, I haven’t paid any attention during the games. I went cyber shopping

You guys remember when this message board was our place for information for UNLV football?
Still is..ya dummy.

There was a TikTok viral question. How many times do you think of Ancient Rome.

Same with UNLV sports. Think about it everyday for the rest of my life.

Hill is 1 inch shorter than Freeman. When we got Hill I thought he would play similar to Freeman. Hill is a shadow of Freeman.
Hill is underwhelming to say the least. Cottrell is soft as tissue paper, don’t even get me started with Webster and LuRod is still inconsistent. To have any chance of not being a complete disappointment, booth Boone’s needed to be playing and we all know what happened there, you know who failed to do his homework!

How can anybody defend Kevin Kruger at this point?

Can anybody make an argument that he’s better than the 9th best coach in the MW?

I personally think he’s 10th or 11th.
I watched CSU beat Colorado tonight. Oh how I wish we had a coach like that. I can't believe we are stuck with what we have. Runnin Rebels are dying inside of me. I don't have the passion to watch them like I once had.

Hill is underwhelming to say the least. Cottrell is soft as tissue paper, don’t even get me started with Webster and LuRod is still inconsistent. To have any chance of not being a complete disappointment, booth Boone’s needed to be playing and we all know what happened there, you know who failed to do his homework!
Cottrell is soft as hell which is sad because he definitely gained a lot of muscle. The issue with our team is that they dont have that dog in them. Literally no one on our entire team has that dog in them and we dont have any type of enforcer either.

LuRod is ass at shooting, but I will say that he tries hard and actually plays like he cares. But when he starts chucking.....

What has disappointed me the most is Kalib. He has not looked great, forget the stats. He has absolutely no type of bag and it does not look like he worked on any type of offensive arsenal this summer. His paint moves are very predictable and if hes not dunking, its ugly to watch.

Cottrell is soft as hell which is sad because he definitely gained a lot of muscle. The issue with our team is that they dont have that dog in them. Literally no one on our entire team has that dog in them and we dont have any type of enforcer either.

LuRod is ass at shooting, but I will say that he tries hard and actually plays like he cares. But when he starts chucking.....

What has disappointed me the most is Kalib. He has not looked great, forget the stats. He has absolutely no type of bag and it does not look like he worked on any type of offensive arsenal this summer. His paint moves are very predictable and if hes not dunking, its ugly to watch.
Very Soft Team - NO muscle - NO grit - NO leaders- No MOXY at all- Do I dare say NO heart - I've watched this team play - its fricking Embarrassing they wear the scarlet and grey. Rebel teams always played HARD - these guys look like they are saving their best effort for something else.

Reactions: Trax0r

This is the part I cannot argue, I suspected this may happen with Boone, hence my arguments about him being a 4 not a 5 all summer! He is light and long which screams help side defender in the paint but when he has to go up against another big he is not as good. Cottrell, Hill, Boone were supposed to be the nucleus we needed on the team but Steve Smith said it best about Jerry Jeudy on the Denver Broncos, they are just guys not dawgs!

I watched CSU beat Colorado tonight. Oh how I wish we had a coach like that. I can't believe we are stuck with what we have. Runnin Rebels are dying inside of me. I don't have the passion to watch them like I once had.
I was at this game and it was a good game! The Rams starters are 5 super seniors and they are coached well, I think they might be the oldest team in college basketball too!

Cottrell just doesn't have much explosion, which makes sense given his injury history. He bodied up more in the paint on both sides of the ball last game, but he is going to be limited what he can bring.

LuRod plays hard, his shot is just too inconsistent, which is weird because it is a typically a pretty shot. He forces it some, but often takes decent looks. Still active in the passing lanes and had been the best overall defender on the team.

I have been impressed with Kalib, he usually wins one on one battles offensively in the paint. He got beat early against Freeman, a very good big, but bounced back had 2-3 blocks against him, some stops and a steal when one on one.

I think JJ3 has stepped his game up overall. He didn't work on becoming a PG which was a missed opportunity, but he may be our best on ball defender at the guard, he is finishing much better at the wing, and is shooting 50% from 3. He does take some bad 3 point shots, but 50% is pretty freaking good.

Disappointed with Webster. He is starting to find his shot, which is good, but still a bit of a defensive liability. Personally I think he would be better off the bench. If Shane can come back healthy, I think he may take that spot eventually.

DJ has not disappointed, his presence makes the offense better just from his ability to feed the post, anticipate cuts to the basket, and find the open man on the wing. I would prefer more structure to the offense, but at least spacing has been better recently.

Cottrell just doesn't have much explosion, which makes sense given his injury history. He bodied up more in the paint on both sides of the ball last game, but he is going to be limited what he can bring.

LuRod plays hard, his shot is just too inconsistent, which is weird because it is a typically a pretty shot. He forces it some, but often takes decent looks. Still active in the passing lanes and had been the best overall defender on the team.

I have been impressed with Kalib, he usually wins one on one battles offensively in the paint. He got beat early against Freeman, a very good big, but bounced back had 2-3 blocks against him, some stops and a steal when one on one.

I think JJ3 has stepped his game up overall. He didn't work on becoming a PG which was a missed opportunity, but he may be our best on ball defender at the guard, he is finishing much better at the wing, and is shooting 50% from 3. He does take some bad 3 point shots, but 50% is pretty freaking good.

Disappointed with Webster. He is starting to find his shot, which is good, but still a bit of a defensive liability. Personally I think he would be better off the bench. If Shane can come back healthy, I think he may take that spot eventually.

DJ has not disappointed, his presence makes the offense better just from his ability to feed the post, anticipate cuts to the basket, and find the open man on the wing. I would prefer more structure to the offense, but at least spacing has been better recently.
At this point, until JWeb gets his shot to start falling, I'd prefer JJ3 in the lineup. He at least gives us a more dynamic offense, and he isn't afraid to push the ball or attack the basket.

Reactions: UNLVbro
What's the word on Shane and Keylan? Is Keylan going to stay, graduate and play in January(would it even make sense to transfer at this point?). When is Shane expected to be back? I'm hoping for anything to light a fire under this team.

What's the word on Shane and Keylan? Is Keylan going to stay, graduate and play in January(would it even make sense to transfer at this point?). When is Shane expected to be back? I'm hoping for anything to light a fire under this team.
I saw something saying that Shane has the walking boot off, which is good, but I didn't see anything beyond that on a timeframe.

I saw something saying that Shane has the walking boot off, which is good, but I didn't see anything beyond that on a timeframe.
Right now, if anyone is injured you may consider keeping them on the sideline until @ mid Feb. Let them completely heal. Then put them in to get in game shape by the MWC Tourney. Getting lucky in the Tourney is the only way this team will get to the post season. May as well have everyone healthy.

Right now, if anyone is injured you may consider keeping them on the sideline until @ mid Feb. Let them completely heal. Then put them in to get in game shape by the MWC Tourney. Getting lucky in the Tourney is the only way this team will get to the post season. May as well have everyone healthy.
We've only lost 3 games. I realize they're not good losses, especially Southern, but there's a lot of season left. If bringing Shane back gives us a huge boost and we finished out the remaining OOC with only 1 loss, I'd take that in a heart beat.

Reactions: dcut03
We've only lost 3 games. I realize they're not good losses, especially Southern, but there's a lot of season left. If bringing Shane back gives us a huge boost and we finished out the remaining OOC with only 1 loss, I'd take that in a heart beat.
Oh, hell yeah I'd take that in a second. It wouldn't undo all the damage but it would at least keep us treading water instead of being 4 feet below.

I think Shane has talent. From what I saw, some good flashes intermixed with ho hum. So even a healthy, timing is perfect, conditioning is perfect Shane - do you see he himself putting us over the top and giving us what we are hoping for? I don't see it. If it were a Hamilton or Harkless ... I could see it more.

Spoken as a true Rebel fan. I salute you!
He isn't wrong though.
Hey the Southern game was basically this team sh!tting into our collective mouths
And it is a loss that has aged like guacamole in the sun soaked in milk.
The loss to Florida stats was not bad. It sucked that it was close and we just disintegrated in the final minutes. Then just laid a turd against Richmond. Not a bad loss either, but not encouraging to just get dominated from end to end. Good thing noone saw it.
Akron is a solid team. Picked to win their conference and will probably end up being a quad 2 win by the end of the year. We controlled the majority of the game until we reverted to Florida State mode in the final 90 seconds.
But there is are a lot of basketball left with quality teams to play. Am I super confident? No. But I have way more faith than seemingly everyone here. Though that doesn't say much.
I believe in our talent and potential to be better than what we have shown. How much better? I honestly don't know.
But other teams have had tough OOCs and then figured it out by conference season. We will at least be tested this year. It is possible.
We should sit back and let this season play out.

• Love
Oh, hell yeah I'd take that in a second. It wouldn't undo all the damage but it would at least keep us treading water instead of being 4 feet below.

I think Shane has talent. From what I saw, some good flashes intermixed with ho hum. So even a healthy, timing is perfect, conditioning is perfect Shane - do you see he himself putting us over the top and giving us what we are hoping for? I don't see it. If it were a Hamilton or Harkless ... I could see it more.
Hard to tell. He has the talent IMO, but I don't know how much he improved in the off season. He's one of those guys that could make a big jump. Forever the optimist 😂

Kalib may not have moves, but he is our most important player so far as we have no other athletes among our big guys

I knew Cottrell would be soft. First time I saw him and he’s hanging out on the perimeter.

No wonder he couldn’t cut it under Coach Huggy.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT