ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV at Air Force

Excellent writeup. Very correct in saying we don’t have too many big games in our football history. 3 more stand out in my memory. Boise St back in the seventies, with Mike Thomas and a sold out Silverbowl. Also Fullerton St and also SMU. We shoulda/ coulda beat SMU , recovering a critical fumble late in the game, right in front of me, that the refs just gave back to them.

Excellent writeup. Very correct in saying we don’t have too many big games in our football history. 3 more stand out in my memory. Boise St back in the seventies, with Mike Thomas and a sold out Silverbowl. Also Fullerton St and also SMU. We shoulda/ coulda beat SMU , recovering a critical fumble late in the game, right in front of me, that the refs just gave back to them.
I knew there had to be a few more, a BYU game in there, no? I just stuck with what I’ve seen with my own eyes.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Mike Thomas? I wore his #22 Redskins Jersey back in Second grade.

Growing up in OC, I was a Cal St Fullerton fan. I remember listening to that game in 1984 as a 14 year old kid on my parents stereo sitting in the living room with my dad who has undergrad and Masters degrees from CSUF.

Fullerton’s only loss of the season. They were stacked Damon Allen (Marcus”s Brother) went on to become a legend in the CFL played over 20 years at QB. Mark Collins was I think a first round pick of the NY Giants and had a great NFL career. A few other NFL guys on that team as well.

I think Army massage it a little bit and Hawaii massage it a little more, I think will burst that poon into a geyser for all to enjoy. I dont know why but it seems like a blowout to me, man? I was looking for some hints of discussion AFA during Monday's press conference but it seems like UNLV is avoiding it with a purpose. Monday before the Wyoming game Coach O said ."we got a plan". This week, nothing....It might get ugly for AFA.

We look at this game and that game as being the most important game ever for UNLV, but in reality if you look at the last 5 games of the year they are playing Fresno State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, and San Jose in a short period of time. Currently Air Force is tied for 1st, Fresno State and San Jose State are tie for third. With the exception of the New Mexico game, these are all competitive games that UNLV needs to win. With the loss at Fresno State, UNLV must win the next two games to guarantee not only that they are in the conference championship game, but that they also host the game!

We look at this game and that game as being the most important game ever for UNLV, but in reality if you look at the last 5 games of the year they are playing Fresno State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, and San Jose in a short period of time. Currently Air Force is tied for 1st, Fresno State and San Jose State are tie for third. With the exception of the New Mexico game, these are all competitive games that UNLV needs to win. With the loss at Fresno State, UNLV must win the next two games to guarantee not only that they are in the conference championship game, but that they also host the game!
Dont be so dramatic...must...must must..UNLV can lose to AFA and still make the conference Championship game. At 8-2 Money is in teh banksk

Yeah, at this point there is no "must win" games left for this team.. they've proven themselves everything we wanted. Its all House money and the House always wins...
Honestly though, there will be fans disappointed or upset like the staff can't get the job done if we don't win a championship this year which is just crazy to me... they were also the same people that said all we need to do is win 6 games so they're all over the place but still

Yeah, at this point there is no "must win" games left for this team.. they've proven themselves everything we wanted. Its all House money and the House always wins...
Honestly though, there will be fans disappointed or upset like the staff can't get the job done if we don't win a championship this year which is just crazy to me... they were also the same people that said all we need to do is win 6 games so they're all over the place but still

For me everything after 6 wins has been gravy.

We're going to win the whole f'ing thing..

giphy.gif

Nice article. I remember that year- The highlights and times where being a UNLV football fan "was enjoyable" are slim-

This year is FUN - unexpected - and Today- Oh my- i haven't been this excited for a UNLV football game since ??? You'd have to go back to the early 2000's when jrob was the coach.

Its been a good 20 years.

Go REbels -

Nice article. I remember that year- The highlights and times where being a UNLV football fan "was enjoyable" are slim-

This year is FUN - unexpected - and Today- Oh my- i haven't been this excited for a UNLV football game since ??? You'd have to go back to the early 2000's when jrob was the coach.

Its been a good 20 years.

Go REbels -
In JRobs best year, the 8-5 … LV Bowl over Arkansas …

I thought we were pretty decent. Lines were solid, balanced offensive attack but predictable, some playmakers in the secondary, good linebackers, good special teams … a hit and miss dynamic QB … but no game was as big as todays. We finished middle of the conference back then, they were absolutely exciting games, but they were must wins for bowl eligibility. We passed that a couple of weeks ago.

This is for conference. And we aren’t playing the bottom of the barrel hoping we prevail. This is head to head with for the best in conference.

Exciting as hell. Never felt it like this before with football.

I've been so excited for this game that my heart has been pounding all morning. Then I realized I forgot to take my blood pressure medication. I'll be heading to the stadium in a few. Go Rebels!!!!!!!!!!

I've been so excited for this game that my heart has been pounding all morning. Then I realized I forgot to take my blood pressure medication. I'll be heading to the stadium in a few. Go Rebels!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, trouble sleeping, pacing since 6 am. This is what gameday everyday was for me back when we were a hoops power. Didn’t matter if we were playing Fullerton or Arizona.

I thought we were pretty decent. Lines were solid, balanced offensive attack but predictable, some playmakers in the secondary, good linebackers, good special teams … a hit and miss dynamic QB … but no game was as big as todays. We finished middle of the conference back then, they were absolutely exciting games, but they were must wins for bowl eligibility. We passed that a couple of weeks ago.

This is for conference. And we aren’t playing the bottom of the barrel hoping we prevail. This is head to head with for the best in conference.

To me J Robs teams were very solid, but he was pretty old school in his approach offensively. Student body Left, and Student body Right. It can be effective, but it is hard to be super successfully playing that vanilla especially at UNLV. At USC it is different when you can out recruit everyone, but that doesn't happen here. Obviously we had some success. Seasons with multiple 1000 yard runners is impressive. But I think it had a bit of a ceiling.

The defense was rock solid though, with solid safeties and linebackers. It seemed like we faired the best against Air Force with J Rob at the helm.

Which is why I feel good about today's game. I think we have a defense that can match up decently against them. especially if we get Williams AND Baldwin back today ( which is the rumor).

What is awesome about this season is that we are fun to watch on both sides of the ball. The offense can be explosive and effective, the defense has had a turnover in every game, gets sacks, and makes plays.

I actually think the next year they were a better team. That horrible loss in Little Rock unfortunately ended up setting the tone for the season. That loss was followed by losses to A ranked Northwestern, @ Arizona and a ranked byu. So what started as probably the most anticipated season in the history of the program or at least since I got to UNLV in ‘90 they got off to a 0-4 start. That was a tough schedule but I think they win vs Arkansas they go at least 2-2 and have a lot of confidence going into conference play.

Reactions: 220reb
To me J Robs teams were very solid, but he was pretty old school in his approach offensively. Student body Left, and Student body Right. It can be effective, but it is hard to be super successfully playing that vanilla especially at UNLV. At USC it is different when you can out recruit everyone, but that doesn't happen here. Obviously we had some success. Seasons with multiple 1000 yard runners is impressive. But I think it had a bit of a ceiling.

The defense was rock solid though, with solid safeties and linebackers. It seemed like we faired the best against Air Force with J Rob at the helm.

Which is why I feel good about today's game. I think we have a defense that can match up decently against them. especially if we get Williams AND Baldwin back today ( which is the rumor).

What is awesome about this season is that we are fun to watch on both sides of the ball. The offense can be explosive and effective, the defense has had a turnover in every game, gets sacks, and makes plays.
Remember when he called a run up the middle on the last play of the game from the 17 yard line and it worked to send the game in to OT vs Ole Miss.

That play was one of those no, no, no, what are you doing……….YES!!!

Then a 2Pt conversion to go to OT

Reactions: 220reb and dcut03
Where are you let's link up! I'm here as well l26 row f w/my wife and son lol, let's go Rebels!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT