ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV -3 VS SJSU?

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We dropped this game and things are gonna get the darkest they have ever been. IMO. These are another one of those point spread that is too good to be true.

We dropped this game and things are gonna get the darkest they have ever been. IMO. These are another one of those point spread that is too good to be true.
When I mean darkest I mean the level of Fandom might be on life support.

Couldn’t care less but UNLv will win
I have heard that 1 before. Sports books usually know what they are doing. We are not a well balanced team. SJSU has a better coach so we are already behind the 8 ball there. Yes we have more talent, but soft, lazy, horrible adjustments, and use of timeouts u would think the opposing team was the one had access to them.

Last edited:
I have heard that 1 before. Sports books usually know what they are doing. We are not a well balanced team. SJSU has a better coach so we are already behind the 8 ball there. Yes we have more talent, but soft, lazy, horrible adjustments, and use of timeouts u would think the opposing team was the one had access to them.
Sports books are typically near the number. UNLV being a favorite at their place shows you just how poor SJSU is. Don’t know exact numbers but UNLV has to have a near 0.900 win percentage vs SJSU. But it’s probably closer to 60% over the past eight years. And I’m betting most of UNLV’s losses against SJSU have come within those eight years too.

With prep, gotta give Miles the advantage, with motivation, gotta give it to SJSU (SJSU is crap and UNLV knows it, even though UNLV is poor, it’s still a pump up game for SJSU).

But UNLV has better players and they should win, that’s why a road favorite. Neutral, UNLV would be around a 6 pt favorite.

It lines up a lot like the AFA game.

UNLV will not drop two longer shot losses in a row. They just won’t. If they do, it will be pretty clear that he has completely lost the team, that they really don’t give a shit and they’re playing out the string of the rest of the season.

I know we are not very cohesive and the talent isn’t the greatest we’ve had and they aren’t a mentally tough team, but I really don’t think they have quit. I think they’ll win easily tomorrow and it won’t make much of a difference to the fans or in the grand scheme of the season. It’ll be a ho hum win over a poor team and we will continue the zombie march of the season.

Sports books are typically near the number. UNLV being a favorite at their place shows you just how poor SJSU is. Don’t know exact numbers but UNLV has to have a near 0.900 win percentage vs SJSU. But it’s probably closer to 60% over the past eight years. And I’m betting most of UNLV’s losses against SJSU have come within those eight years too.

With prep, gotta give Miles the advantage, with motivation, gotta give it to SJSU (SJSU is crap and UNLV knows it, even though UNLV is poor, it’s still a pump up game for SJSU).

But UNLV has better players and they should win, that’s why a road favorite. Neutral, UNLV would be around a 6 pt favorite.

It lines up a lot like the AFA game.

UNLV will not drop two longer shot losses in a row. They just won’t. If they do, it will be pretty clear that he has completely lost the team, that they really don’t give a shit and they’re playing out the string of the rest of the season.

I know we are not very cohesive and the talent isn’t the greatest we’ve had and they aren’t a mentally tough team, but I really don’t think they have quit. I think they’ll win easily tomorrow and it won’t make much of a difference to the fans or in the grand scheme of the season. It’ll be a ho hum win over a poor team and we will continue the zombie march of the season.
They swept us last year -

It would be pretty telling if we do get beat -

It would mean this team completely FELL APART (AND/OR) - it was never structurally assembled in the first place

They swept us last year -

It would be pretty telling if we do get beat -

It would mean this team completely FELL APART (AND/OR) - it was never structurally assembled in the first place
It’s been a foundation of toothpicks and Elmer’s glue. No identity, no style, no substance.

Still don’t see them losing, personal pride has to hit them in the face after losing a 30 plus at home to AFA. You’d think just being a competitive player would be enough to beat a crappy team like SJSU. Not having that competitive nature vs AFA is more understandable (if we show up, we will easily beat them) but taking such a bad loss should be a wake up call that’s enough to trounce SJSU.

If not, you’re right, best guess is he completely lost the team and they don’t care and just want to get the season over with. We are heading into February at 500 or less overall, under 500 in conference. Doesn’t happen a lot around these parts but this will be at least the 2nd time in 8 years, maybe the third?

Reactions: rebelwithacause
I think we win, at some point pride kicks in. At least I hope, if they do mail it in then I think you part ways with CKK and hope an interim coach can salvage whatever is left of the season.

I think we win, at some point pride kicks in. At least I hope, if they do mail it in then I think you part ways with CKK and hope an interim coach can salvage whatever is left of the season.
Do not fire a coach mid season, not a good look. This hurt us bad when Rice was fired mid season years ago. Only way it could ever make sense is if you thought the interim could really be the longer term coach.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Do not fire a coach mid season, not a good look. This hurt us bad when Rice was fired mid season years ago. Only way it could ever make sense is if you thought the interim could really be the longer term coach.
I agree completely. Even if UNLV drops every game until the end of the season.

I don’t people fully understand the damage the midseason firing caused. UNLV had already suffered from “Mickey Mouse U” (just acting small time) before the midseason firing. In part by how easily UNLV had been “used” in the past to strengthen other coaches positions, for having figurehead ADs, for having little money … firing a coach respected in coaching circles for a non-scandalous reason …. But for performance …. (Especially when the low end of that performance is better than what we’ve had recently and even previous low performances, for example) … and in spite of “low performance” there was actual value (marquee wins, players to the league, brand building and recognition) … firing midseason really screwed UNLV behind the scenes in basketball circles … all of that has played a role in UNLV struggling so mightily.

Might be wise not to travel down that same road again. An interim isn’t going to turn this into anything and even if it did for the season, you’re going to pay for it in the long run.

It is obvious that UNLV is likely going to lose most of the recruit and current players if they let Kruger go mid season or end of the season. I guess the damage has already been done, so waiting until the end of the season to remove Kruger will save money and the optics look better, but will that leave UNLV time to fix the program?

My question is do they have enough time after the season ends to find a top level coach, and will that coach be able to recruit quick enough to put together a decent team?

It is obvious that UNLV is likely going to lose most of the recruit and current players if they let Kruger go mid season or end of the season. I guess the damage has already been done, so waiting until the end of the season to remove Kruger will save money and the optics look better, but will that leave UNLV time to fix the program?

My question is do they have enough time after the season ends to find a top level coach, and will that coach be able to recruit quick enough to put together a decent team?
USU did it.

You don’t have to traditionally recruit these kids. With the transfer portal you can form a whole team in a week.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

The suggestion is to wait to fire the current coach, but that shouldn’t mean that Harper has to wait until then to get on the horn and get some ducks lined up. I believe Joe alluded to (and could be wrong) but that Harper had the change figured into this year after the horrible showing in Florida.

Reactions: RRebel
You don’t have to traditionally recruit these kids. With the transfer portal you can form a whole team in a week.
That is true, but I have this nagging thought in the back of my brain that this is exactly what Kruger did, and it hasn't worked! I just hope a replacement coach can quickly get a new team playing as a single unit instead of a bunch of individual hot shots!

Reactions: RRebel
That is true, but I have this nagging thought in the back of my brain that this is exactly what Kruger did, and it hasn't worked! I just hope a replacement coach can quickly get a new team playing as a single unit instead of a bunch of individual hot shots!
Yea it is similar to what Kevin has done, but I think the failures were more because him rather than the approach of getting transfers.

USU returned literally no one from last season and look at them now

Yea it is similar to what Kevin has done, but I think the failures were more because him rather than the approach of getting transfers.

USU returned literally no one from last season and look at them now
The rule is - a lot of other schools can do it, but UNLV can’t. Though we did do it with women’s basketball and football, so it’s just a UNLV Runnin’ Rebel thing. And it isn’t the fault of the Runnin’ Rebs, it’s the fans and social medias and the refs.

Once you accept that, it all makes sense.

The suggestion is to wait to fire the current coach, but that shouldn’t mean that Harper has to wait until then to get on the horn and get some ducks lined up. I believe Joe alluded to (and could be wrong) but that Harper had the change figured into this year after the horrible showing in Florida.
Not at all. This is when he should have things working in the background.

To Harp’s credit, he worked relatively quickly and silently with Odom.

Harp didn't wait until Florida to contemplate CKK's return.

Didn't Kansas State make it to the FF last season with a first year coach, 2 or so return scholarship non-starting/playing guys, and a late start to recruiting? This year isn't going as well as the first year for him, but he made it deep into the Tournament with a late start, new players, etc. in Year One. (He didn't have to contend with Covid like Arroyo did... Haha. That was such BS it's not even funny).

That being said, I think that CKK needs more time to learn how to be a head coach here. Give him 8-9 more years, at least, to show that we are devoted to our coaches. Also, just like people mention that player X needs to "play more" to get better, shouldn't CKK "coach more" to get better? If your answer is 'no' then I agree about neither being correct in that last sentence.

Who says they aren’t looking for one now? Nowhere in Kevin Kruger’s contract does it say that Erick Harper has to fire him to look for a replacement.

Who says they aren’t looking for one now? Nowhere in Kevin Kruger’s contract does it say that Erick Harper has to fire him to look for a replacement.
You must tread very carefully if you are looking for a new coach before firing the old coach. People have a tendency to talk, and something like that getting out would not look good for UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT